Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fidelity (for 1982), music and mix, Nightfly is superb. I have it on DVD-A and MVI (DVD-V) in the Nightfly Trilogy box. Nuff Said.

While you're at it, check out Morph the Cat. I saw DF at the Chicago Theater on the Morph tour. Fantastic show, but short, under 2 hours. I have Morph on DVD-A/CD combo pack and MVI(DVD-V) on the aforementioned box set.

...WJAZ, with jazz and conversation...

Donald Fagen- The Nightfly SACD...this disc seems to fly under the radar when the better sounding titles are mentioned...IMO it's right up there with the best of the best...and for those that don't have it...you can still get one...well worth the money HERE

You betcha! Nightfly deserves a place in every surround collection. Reference material - mix and fidelity.

Donald Fagen-Kamakiriad DVD-A...another Fagen gem..

I'm still waiting and hoping that this title will be reissued as a Multichannel SACD by Audio Fidelity as part of that ETrain initiative with Elliot Scheiner.
Besides the ES mixes already available on SACD, this would be one of the best possible choices for another release, so I hope it happens one day! :)

Rush - 2112 blu ray 5.1

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 156
Cibola, How good is this? Snood had a couple chances to pick it up, but not sure it me style????
Sorry Snood missed your post. Its a fairly new one to me and while I took a chance on Phillip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi, I like it. There's no swirling, ping pong or sweeping sound but it has fine fidelity and solid low end. The surround mix is room filling, and while not seriously discrete it isn't big stereo either rather more like, surprise, a movie experience. Sure it tends toward the repetitive at times but for me more relaxing than irritating. It's funny, I hear later movie music in this disc including LOTR and Inception to mention two. It has at times horns bragging and at others, it's misterioso and contemplative. Try some samples, preferably at least five minutes each to decide if it's for you. Good luck to you Snood.

image.jpg

C.P.E. Bach - String Symphonies 1-6 "Hamburger Sinfonien" Wq 182. (SACD).

Ostrobothnian Chamber Orchestra conducted by Sakari Oramo

Excellent performances with plenty of dynamic twists & turns that emphasize the expressive 'Empfindsam' style that Carl Philipp Emanuel was famous for. Recording is first-class and pretty full-blooded for an ambient surround recording. The rear channels are not discrete but they do play an active role in the overall sound stage.

Here's a little more...http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Nov14/BachCPE_sys_ABCD374.htm

Gary Burton - Like Minds (SACD). Great album but a rather curious mix with instruments (save vibes) panned hard to the sides often leaving a big ol’ gap in the middle (despite light bass & drums in center channel).

CCON_1029_SA__12303__01152009112906-1791.jpg

It might be perfect. Words like marvelous and splendid don't cut it.
It's revelatory in a good way.
I feel like I've never heard Bob Marley before at ALL.

I've always loved that album and I have had various versions of it over the years...but nothing comes close to this one...it's just superb...as familiar as I am with this title I was blown away when I heard it...

Which is better - DTS HD Master or Dolby True HD?

I always go with LPCM over DTS HD Master, and DTS HD Master over Dolby True HD, though when compared to their lossy counterparts for the last two, both DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD are great, and you can't go wrong with either one.

Back