Lynyrd Skynyrd Hits Package with Elliott Scheiner 5.1 Mix on DVDA!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WalMart Canada seems to have no clue what I was even talking about. They showed me some Lynyrd Skynyrd DVD's, but when asked about the new one that supposedly just came out I got blank stares and dribble out the corner of the mouth. Oh well. Found it on eBay Brand New Sealed for $25 shipped. No biggie. Still cheaper than a Quadio title.

YES. I will put up a poll. I'll add the scans whenever I can find one.

Went to another WalMart and no luck. Tomorrow I'll try a couple of more. I'm 0-2. :)

I also tried a couple of WalMarts in my area this morning with no luck. So I ordered it from the website. Shipping was only $1.97.

Most importantly, the sales person that I dealt with at the first WalMart actually seemed to understand 5.1 surround sound music and DVD-A. That's refreshing.

YES. I will put up a poll. I'll add the scans whenever I can find one.

Went to another WalMart and no luck. Tomorrow I'll try a couple of more. I'm 0-2. :)

I gave up after the first store (got the blank look and "huh?" from the Walmart employee). Ordered it online shipped to my house for $1.97 postage as well. Can't wait!

Didn't get to stop at the local Wal-Mart today and the availability for store pickup shows as 8/14 on the website. I'm going to be traveling in the next few days so I might as well order 2 copies (me and guitar tech is huge fan) so they arrive while I'm gone.

That this is quietly showing up at Wally World with minimal advance notice is one of the best surprises this year.

I gave up after the first store (got the blank look and "huh?" from the Walmart employee). Ordered it online shipped to my house for $1.97 postage as well. Can't wait!

I did the same thing. Visited one Walmart and didn't see any. Ordered on-line for $11.88 $0.97tax $1.97shipping. I could have burnt up more than $1.97 looking for another Walmart with a copy. On-line it did say available 8-14.

Today I went to Wally World, and I looked and didn't see it. I did see an employee, and I asked her about it. She showed me an unrelated skynyrd title, and I said that wasn't it. Then I noticed her starting to load the shelves with new titles. So I just tarried a bit. Soon she said, "Is this what you're looking for?" and out comes the treasured title. I said "Yes" and thanked her and proceeded to the checkout. I wonder how many each store got? I bet a lot of them will end up in the hands of non quaddies, who just might get curious and play them on their home theater systems. Point of interest- The walmart sticker on the cellophane mentions a new album release. I wonder if it will also be surround also. It is set to be released August 21. It did not say what year, so I assume this one. I just opened my copy, and there is a disappointment. The notes for the third disc says: "5.1 surround mixes and Free Bird stereo mix by Elliot Scheiner. The impression I'm getting is that Free Bird is only in stereo. We'll see. Anyway, it ought to be good, and the price is right.
The Quadfather

Well, the WalMart in Manchester, CT does not have any. I asked the counter girl, she looked it up and said something to the effect of "If it comes out today, we'll have it NEXT Tuesday."

Isn't that special?

If Dr. Simple got one, I'll try another WalMart or two in the area. If I get one, scans and stuff will be posted tonight.
The two Walmart's near me didn't have it either. They never got it in - yet.

Well, I couldn't wait on the Free Bird question. I had to turn the speakers off and listen to two channels at a time, so not to wake my wife, but I was able to confirm that Free Bird is in 5.0 surround. That'll do, Mr Scheiner, that'll do.
The Quadfather

I did the same thing. Visited one Walmart and didn't see any. Ordered on-line for $11.88 $0.97tax $1.97shipping. I could have burnt up more than $1.97 looking for another Walmart with a copy. On-line it did say available 8-14.

I already received a " your order has shipped"email from them.

HOT NEWS!
The thread is still going on in the Rumor Mill section about the surprise release of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Southern Surroundings: The Ultymate Skynyrd Collection"! It was released today in Walmart stores all across the U.S.A. We still don't know about other countries. Not only did it get released almost faster than the rumor got out, it's inexpensively priced to boot. About $11.88 USD. There are three discs, one stereo, one of a live monophonic performance on DVD Video, and a DVDA in 5.1 surround. Mixed by Elliot Scheiner, the surround disc has these titles:

DVD Audio:Southern Surroundings
1. Saturday Night Special
2. Gimme Three Steps
3. Swamp Music
4. Gimme Back My Bullets
5. The Ballad of Curtis Loew
6. You Got That Right
7. That Smell
8. All I Can Do is Write About It
9. Simple Man
10. Free Bird

In spite of notes that suggest otherwise, Free Bird is in fact in surround. The stereo CD and the live (mono?) DVD Video has more songs including "Sweet Home Alabama" which I wish was included on the surround disc, but alas wasn't. All of the songs on the surround DVDA are repeated on the CD, plus a few more. The DVD Video is different songs except for "Free Bird" and "Sweet Home Alabama" The listings are:

CD: All Time Greatest Hits
1. Sweet Home Alabama
2. Gimme Three Steps
3. Simple Man
4. Saturday Night Special
5. Swamp Music
6. The Ballad of Curtis Loew
7. Call Me The Breeze
8. Comin' Home
9. Gimme Back My Bullets
10. What's Your Name
11. You Got That Right
12. All I Can Do is Write About It
13. That Smell
14. Free Bird

DVD Video: Live on Old Gray Whistle Test
1. Double Trouble
2. I Ain't The One
3. Call Me The Breeze
4. I Get The Same Old Blues
5. Every Mother's Son
6. Sweet Home Alabama
7. Free Bird

They're at Wally World, Go Git 'em!

The Quadfather

So the real question is .....

So what does the DVD-A sound like????

Strange (but great) times we live in ....

ELP re-issues form SONY on DVD-A!!!!
Lynyrd Skynyrd from Wal-mart on DVD-A!!!!!

So the real question is .....
So what does the DVD-A sound like????

Sounds like the real deal, completely discrete, violin in rears on "All I Can Do.....", guitar lead wrapped to the rears on Give Me 3 Steps. I would never have suspected Al Kooper had played organ on several of these songs, you could never have heard it in a stereo mix like Simple Man, but you can hear it on the 5.1....not being a huge fan of them, I never knew he had any connection.
If you can't get it in NZ, let me know as my local Shrewsbury, PA Walfart has several of them, I can ship you a copy. John

Neither of the Walmart stores here knows anything about it, so that seems in line with what the other Canucks are saying. I live about an hour from the border at Port Huron, Michigan so I called a store there. I got put on hold for a long time, then I gave up. As it happens; a friend of mine is heading over to do some shopping on the weekend, and she offered to check for me.

From a marketing standpoint, it seems like a huge fu--up to release a desireable product and then make your customer base jump through hoops to buy it. I realize that Walmart is the largest retailer in the US, but if they know nothing about it and they don't even care to find out ...

Neither of the Walmart stores here knows anything about it, so that seems in line with what the other Canucks are saying. I live about an hour from the border at Port Huron, Michigan so I called a store there. I got put on hold for a long time, then I gave up. As it happens; a friend of mine is heading over to do some shopping on the weekend, and she offered to check for me.

From a marketing standpoint, it seems like a huge fu--up to release a desireable product and then make your customer base jump through hoops to buy it. I realize that Walmart is the largest retailer in the US, but if they know nothing about it and they don't even care to find out ...

Walmart could care less about their music product. It represents a microscopic and insignificant product category in their stores. They are barely involved in the product selection - that role is handled by rackjobber Anderson Merchandising - who is responsible for music product selection, delivery and merchandising. Certainly not an ideal situation for music lovers but this is hardly news.

Walmart could care less about their music product. It represents a microscopic and insignificant product category in their stores. They are barely involved in the product selection - that role is handled by rackjobber Anderson Merchandising - who is responsible for music product selection, delivery and merchandising. Certainly not an ideal situation for music lovers but this is hardly news.

Exactly. The role of music as "loss leader" has probably severely dwindled as well. I'm assuming the big box stores look much more to movies and video games (and even games have somewhat fallen off the cliff as we choose "Angry Birds" over "Gears of War") as the hook to get folks through the door.

We don't have, or want, Walmart in NYC, so I only really had one choice in the matter here. We do have Target, though, and the same guy stocking the music is stocking the boxer shorts. My assumption with this title is that you'll have better look through the website. I certainly don't think you'll be finding it front and center, if you find it at all, at any of the stores.

That is exactly my point. Why would the band/label choose to use Walmart exclusively, when they are the least likely to do anything with it?

That is exactly my point. Why would the band/label choose to use Walmart exclusively, when they are the least likely to do anything with it?

There's no brick and mortar store out there anymore that's going to treat them any better. Maybe, just maybe, Best Buy would have put a cardboard display out in their dwindling music section.

Besides, just think.....you can pick up your Skynyrd AND your gun at the same place.

This is a pretty insignificant release in the grand scheme of things. We're making it out to be a big thing because we're surround dorks. In the end, that's an add-on on the 80th Skynyrd hits comp released.

True enough, but someone must have given it some thought. Getting Elliot Scheiner involved to do some discrete surround production seems to be somewhat strategic, and DVD-Audio versus DD had to involve at least a bit of thinking.

Back