Marillion in 5.1 (Sounds That Can't Be Made) Confirmed!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey. I want to purchase the Blu-Ray 3 disc set, for sure, but really not into the 2 concert discs. Decisions, decision! Not a great value if I'm only wanting the 5.1. We'll see. Ugh. Thanks.

Hey. I want to purchase the Blu-Ray 3 disc set, for sure, but really not into the 2 concert discs. Decisions, decision! Not a great value if I'm only wanting the 5.1. We'll see. Ugh. Thanks.

I feel exactly the same but, same as for AF releases, most likely I'll buy it to show my support to new 5.1 mixes. In this case at least the price is not exaggerate but chances are high that the two live blu-ray will never be played...

it could be worse, all 7,408 of us QQ-ers could have to scrabble around for one of the 300 copies of the Super Deluxe Box Set (which also has the "Sounds That Can't Be Made" albums' 5.1 mix included) to get it.. ;)

I ordered it too. I may only watch the actual concerts once or twice but am looking forward to hearing the studio album in 5.1....

I really like Marillion and have 3 of their blu-ray sets: Cadogan Hall, Holidays in Zelande (3 disc set) and Brave Live all in DTS-HDMA 5.1 96kHz. All sound really great but not discrete mixes.

The Holidays in Zelande set contains over 50 live songs with nothing repeated (one disc is the Saturday night show where they do 26 songs beginning A to Z through their catalogue - since they had no song starting with X they played XTC's Senses Working Overtime with guest XTC guitarist on 12 string elect. Guitar!). Now that's worth 30 quid.

I'm not a big fan of STCBM. The blu-ray set is 3 versions of the same content, 1 studio + 2 live so its overkill. They should have included other songs from those live gigs to add some value. I'm not sure This is worth 30 quid.

I'm going to wait for a possible Amazon release for a hopefully cheaper price (who knows). The 5.1 disc is the only disc I'm interested in, anyway. I would've made the purchase if the concert discs had anything but identical setlists. And Hey Marillion!- you may have made more money selling the 5.1 as a standalone, for cheaper, along with the 3 disc Blu-Ray? Everybody's happy! They goofed on this one. IMO.

This is great news indeed. I've been a Marillion fan for years. I never thought I'd get a 5.1 mix of any of their albums. While this is not my favorite album, it is a start. Hopefully the mix is good. Any thoughts on who did the mix?

My guess is that it is Mike Hunter. He has been producing and mixing both the band's studio and live output for over the past decade.
Strangely, the band has pretty much ignored 5.1 for studio work even though they have many connections with the 5.1 crowd.
Steve Wilson has mixed some stereo stuff from them; the previously mentioned Mike Hunter has interest in 5.1; the band has used Simon Heyworth to master their albums at Super Audio Mastering (King Crimson's 40th Series, The Depeche Mode 5.1s, Goldfrapp)

and yet, they have only released a handful of uninspired studio mixes that were buried on a live release.

I have waited sooooooo long for this - I just hope that they gave it a discrete try this time.

I've just had an e-mail from Marillion's Rackett Records saying my 3 disc version has been shipped, so it'll be interesting to see what its like. Could do with loads more Marillion in 5.1!

Back