Marillion in 5.1 (Sounds That Can't Be Made) Confirmed!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrong suspicion... It usually takes like 7 days with royal mail. Sometimes I think it's shipped on the ferry at Plymouth... :(

I suspect it'll arrive in Spain before it reaches me in the UK!

Using that logic, I'll let you know what I think while you guys are waiting for it to arrive... :D

Seriously - I've had stuff come from the UK exceptionally quick at times....

We've a Bank Holiday on Monday so if hasn't arrived by Saturday it'll be Tuesday at the earliest........so will it reach NZ first?

Huge Marillion fan since the last of the Fish days but for some reason I never really liked this album. I also concur that their previous releases sound great!

Got mine this morning. Have only tried a few sections of songs but all signs are good to me. It is discrete!!!! I'm hearing lots of keys/samples in the rears as well as backing vocals. Nice depth/spread too and great dynamics (crushes the CD). The explosion in Gaza near the end sounds amazing. There are layered vocals heard here that I could not hear in the CD mix. Can't see anywhere on the packaging about who mixed it but I would assume Mike Hunter. I haven't had chance to check everything so there might be credits on the actual disc somewhere.

Simon and I might be the only two human beings that share the same passion for Marillion, Porcupine Tree & 5.1
We have been posting comments for years on the Marillion forum begging for 5.1 mixes.

Mine's turned up (I'll take back everything about slow post!) Working from home today, I've just got it out of the packing, and about to give it a listen. :banana:

Simon and I might be the only two human beings that share the same passion for Marillion, Porcupine Tree & 5.1
We have been posting comments for years on the Marillion forum begging for 5.1 mixes.

There maybe others joining you in passion for Marillion as I had never heard of Porcupine Tree till getting to this site and I didn't initially take to Porcupine Tree as the first 5.1 was 'In Absentia' and I couldn't get over the freaky album cover and some of the dark lyric's and undertones. After a while a more careful listening PT won me over and got all their 5.1 albums after that and what a wonderful journey. With Marillion I have their first album got Marbles which is good and Somwhere Else which was ok.
I spend most my music listening time on 5.1's so seeing that Sounds that can't be made is in 5.1 I am really curious what people like yourself and Simon have to say as the quality of the 5.1.
I might have to take the plunge and order it,seems a bit steep price as not sure how much I would listen to the live albums but tell me something does ordering from Marillion site mean more of the money actually gets into the musician's hands as I am so frustrated by the the greedy packing of Pink Floyd and some of the other big package releases.
I recently purchased the Transatlantic boxset for Kaleidoscope as that one made a bit more sense as I ordered from Neal Morse's website(radiant records) as more money actually gets into the musician's hands as thats how it should be.

peter

Racket Records is Marillion's own label so by ordering from their store/site means more money for the band. £30 is not a bad price really, especially since most Audio Fidelity SACD's are around £20 and those are usually stereo only. You could always keep the 5.1 disc and sell the live discs on ebay, I bet you could easily get £10-15 back as there is bound to be fans that want the concert discs but don't care/don't have a surround setup.

You're not alone in your love to marillion and PT! In my case, I've been a marillion freak since the nineties when I first heard the thieving magpie and the the first three records with fish. I borrowed holidays in Eden from a friend and Mr H said nothing to me... Until I got marbles, saw them live in Madrid and bought all their records. Funny thing is that I began wondering who this Steven Wilson guy appearing in Marbles credits was, bought accidentally Lightbulb Sun CD+DVD-A and ended up buying a whole 5.1 rig to be able to listen to it!
Ah, I feel envy for you in the UK as you already received the blu-ray!

Racket Records is Marillion's own label so by ordering from their store/site means more money for the band. £30 is not a bad price really, especially since most Audio Fidelity SACD's are around £20 and those are usually stereo only. You could always keep the 5.1 disc and sell the live discs on ebay, I bet you could easily get £10-15 back as there is bound to be fans that want the concert discs but don't care/don't have a surround setup.

Simon, thanks, thats got me sold on this then and your quick response saying that this is a very discreet good sounding album from what you have listened to so far.
Order has been put in.

peter

Simon, thanks, thats got me sold on this then and your quick response saying that this is a very discreet good sounding album from what you have listened to so far.
Order has been put in.

peter

Let us know what you think once it arrives. :)

Will be giving a full report tomorrow when I have had chance to listen all the way through.

On my first pass I like it. However, I did think the first track was rather front biased and louder than the others. As for the rest of the mix there are some really nice things going on in the rear channels. I have the CD (I bought the fancy deluxe) and I found the 'sound' a bit muddy, I suspect compression on the desk during recording, I still get that 'feeling' on the Blu-ray. IMHO its not Marillion's best album of the H era, but there are some fantastic bits that really soar, so I'm glad I bought it in 5.1.

I haven't watched the concerts yet, I bought for the 5.1, but they will be good. Looking forward to seeing them at the Cropredy Festival in August. I'd love Marbles or Seasons End in 5.1, plus any of the Fish era.

Just received it, giving it a quick spin before my family arrives home. First impression is really good, it sounds way better than the CD (well, that was easy to achieve!)
Rears seems to have mixed in lower volume than the fronts, need to tune my setup. Just realised about a second guitar on the rears during the guitar crescendo on sounds that can't be made. Many details I did not heard on the CD, nice surprise until now...

Back