Munich High-End 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundgals

QQ Supporter
As a trade visitor, I attend the Munich High-End show every year. This year with my recent membership of this site and interest in multi-channel streaming and Blu-Ray, SACDs, I was hoping to find more multi-channel oriented products than previous years. Despite Apple's introduction of Spatial streaming in 2021 though, I found very little there in connection with Multi-Channel or Immersive. In fact I would say that Munich High-End is almost 100% two channel and almost all serious exhibitors were demonstrating with vinyl, either exclusively or along with streaming. So vinyl has made its comeback in a big way in the high-end, with more Turntables and TT related products than can ever recall seeing.

I dug through the SACDs, of which there were a few multi-channel issues and was very happy to track down The Doors Strange Days.

I also had a word with a Qobuz representative to ask what their plans are for multi-channel, and why there were just about 20 albums streaming in full resolution MCH on Qobuz. She said it is on the road-map and they recognise they're in a narrow time window to introduce a full MCH streaming service; but she didn't have any dates she could give me. So I feel we should all keep pestering Qobuz about this, as they're currently the only service that has, some MCH at full lossless quality.

One product I do feel would be very well suited to a multi-channel/Atmos system is the new Colibri speaker from Avantgarde. It's a passive speaker which is very lightweight (some could be hung from the ceiling quite easily) easily driven as very efficient (20wpc or less is sufficient) and for a high-end design projected to be relatively affordable. (I think around €4,500 a pair).

Colibri 2

I admit I don’t understand “purists” who preach that anything beyond two channels is just a fimmick, especially when they allso preach that they can hear a difference in a $100,000 turntable (plus arm and cartridge).

For that much money, you can get a full orchestra to give you a private concert.

Back