MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Selling England By The Pound - Genesis (HFPA 5.1 BDA).

image.jpg

Watching Peter Gabriel Live in Athens...1987

Amazing presentation and sound!

The drums on this have a stunning realism, the best Manu's kit sounds on any of the PG Blus to date. It definitely sounds like whomever did the mix used multitracks and that every drum/cymbal has it's own track to work with. So good.

The drums on this have a stunning realism, the best Manu's kit sounds on any of the PG Blus to date. It definitely sounds like whomever did the mix used multitracks and that every drum/cymbal has it's own track to work with. So good.

Hmmm...gonna have to listen/watch it again...Manu is a phenomenal drummer....and he's lookin' oooold! Man, black don't crack , but when it do...it really do!!!

Crime Of The Century - Supertramp (HFPA BDA 2.0@192/24)

View attachment 16596

Oh dear.. initial first listen to the new Blu-ray.. I can't sugar coat it.. so far this sounds, for the most part, lacking.

It's not loud, far from it, it's just.. lifeless, even when you crank it.. and there's what sounds like tape dropout.. cymbal crashes fall apart and bass is flabby and awful.. could the master (or whatever tapes they used for this, the booklet says nothing and is about as much use as a chocolate saddle on a bicycle) tape now be knackered?

• Roll on that SHM-SACD..! If it ever happens.

I will of course give this BDA another fair crack of the whip but so far I'm thoroughly disappointed.

Just for comparison's sake, I've now put on the old 80's UK A&M CD (CDA 68258) and to be frank, there just is no comparison!

Gutted a 25 year old CD I got for under a tenner wipes the floor with a brand new £25 Hi-Res Blu-ray but that's my impression so far.

As I said I'll try this BD again and try to be as impartial as poss but so far, so "meh" :(

(Apologies for formatting guff.. I C&P'd from SH and all this blue Liney dross came with it!)

I was thinking about picking up that Supertramp today at my local record shop. And then, I came across some other better deals. Glad I decided to pass on this one.

I finally got Pink Floyd - The Endless River on Bluray. I know the reviews are rather mixed. Some love it. Others...meh! Well, I have to say I am in the LOVE camp on this one. Beautiful, ambient soundscapes. I am overjoyed that they decided to release this one.

What a gorgeous sunset! :sun

Last edited:

Oh dear.. initial first listen to the new Blu-ray.. I can't sugar coat it.. so far this sounds, for the most part, lacking.

It's not loud, far from it, it's just.. lifeless, even when you crank it.. and there's what sounds like tape dropout.. cymbal crashes fall apart and bass is flabby and awful.. could the master (or whatever tapes they used for this, the booklet says nothing and is about as much use as a chocolate saddle on a bicycle) tape now be knackered?

• Roll on that SHM-SACD..! If it ever happens.

I will of course give this BDA another fair crack of the whip but so far I'm thoroughly disappointed.

Just for comparison's sake, I've now put on the old 80's UK A&M CD (CDA 68258) and to be frank, there just is no comparison!

Gutted a 25 year old CD I got for under a tenner wipes the floor with a brand new £25 Hi-Res Blu-ray but that's my impression so far.

As I said I'll try this BD again and try to be as impartial as poss but so far, so "meh" :(

(Apologies for formatting guff.. I C&P'd from SH and all this blue Liney dross came with it!)

I suspected as much...I've heard this disc described as "thin"...paper thin...the real Crime of the Century is what started out as a great source HERE with great dynamic range has ended up like a flat tire...I might just start looking for some of the older versions of this album like this one

Gahhh! I find it appalling when they release material on a superior format, only to have it sound the way you guys describe it. Not that I was gonna buy that particular title....still...

".....start looking for some of the older versions of this album like this one....." Lute
That would be a good one to get, the original 80's MOFI disc was great. Kind of the standard I'd think for that album....which is a great album btw. John

Björk - Biophilia Live blu-ray/2CD combo... It's 48/24 PCM, but there's only applause and some mild echo of the choir in the rears.Björk's voice is spread across the fronts and almost isolated in the center. I don't regret buying this, but have hoped for so much more...

Björk - Biophilia Live blu-ray/2CD combo... It's 48/24 PCM, but there's only applause and some mild echo of the choir in the rears.Björk's voice is spread across the fronts and almost isolated in the center. I don't regret buying this, but have hoped for so much more...

Thanks for posting this, I had my finger on the trigger to buy it and knowing the nature of the rears I can forget about it. Investment diverted to Wakeman's ones

Thanks for posting this, I had my finger on the trigger to buy it and knowing the nature of the rears I can forget about it. Investment diverted to Wakeman's ones

You're welcome - glad to take one for the team:)

Also, I'm afraid that the Coldplay - Ghost Stories album blu-ray live version is far from anything surround, judging by a brief encounter with the DVD release...

A Celebration of Jon Lord - blu ray - Deep Purple and others. Excellent performances of great songs. An at times emotional tribute to a legendary keyboard player.

A Celebration of Jon Lord - blu ray - Deep Purple and others. Excellent performances of great songs. An at times emotional tribute to a legendary keyboard player.

Surround mix?

Back