MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

image.jpg

German Wind Quintets - Quintette Aquilon

Roger Waters - Amused to death
I have never listened to this before so it was quite exciting.
The 5.1 seemed very discreet to begin with but after hearing the whole album i am very impressed with everything.
The persons who made the 5.1 really knew what they were doing and were not just playing around

This is also my latest and I feel much the same. Very pleased with it.

I finally relented and bought Beck's 'Sea Change' on BD HFPA. Been meaning to pick it up for a while on spec but usually found something else to buy!!
Anyway.....wow. I can now hear what everyone was talking about with the 5.1 mix, the PCM in particular sounds stunning. Some nice tunes to go with it as well!

Greg Allman Live:Back To Macon

Yep picked that up silly having interviews during the show, breaking up the flow somewhat.

I also picked Up Marvin Gayes 'Let's Get It On' - HFPA disc very nice.

An as yet unwatched Lynyrd Skynyrd and Richrd Thompson Blu rays

For the past year I keep finding myself coming back to this. Despite no video or 5.1 mix, it's a great disc. I hadn't really cared for his previous orchestral project (Songs From the Last Century) so this was a nice surprise. He's in great voice and the arrangements are excellent. The fidelity on the disc is outstanding, sounds wonderful. So am I the only closet GM fan on this forum? C'mon folks, fess up!

george_michael_symphonica_bra.jpg

So am I the only closet GM fan on this forum? C'mon folks, fess up!

View attachment 21057

Snood not Fanatic fan - but do have The Wham Cds and his first 2 Solo CDs and the Best of...............Heard Older was good but never picked it up.

Great Voice and his rendition of Somebody to Love on the Freddy Mercury Tribute Concert was Stellar

[video=youtube;UvM2Cmi-YRU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvM2Cmi-YRU[/video]

Snood not Fanatic fan - but do have The Wham Cds and his first 2 Solo CDs and the Best of...............Heard Older was good but never picked it up.

Great Voice and his rendition of Somebody to Love on the Freddy Mercury Tribute Concert was Stellar

[video=youtube;UvM2Cmi-YRU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvM2Cmi-YRU[/video]

Its "Freddie".. ahem ;)

His "Patience" album has some nice stuff, check it out if you haven't already and of course "Faith" and "Older" are his biggies, very talented guy, he really does have the whole package. There are two DVD's of his Hits both with 5.1, can't remember much about the mixes (they're probably upmixes) but they're cheap and nice to have and there's cool tracks that were hit singles not on albums so worth getting Hits comps for.

Yes! He really hit the ball out of the park at the Freddie tribute. And Older is indeed a very fine disc, worth picking up.

To a lifelong Freddie fan most of the people at that tribute show were a pale imitation (or worse, they did their own material..!) and despite the big names as a show it was mostly terrible and they were mostly terrible.. but George Michael really nailed it. Fred would've been happy Liza and Elton were there.. but it should've had his musical heroes rather than so many of Brian's buddies.. Montserrat Caballe, Dave Clark, Rod Stewart, The Beach Boys, Cliff Richard, Dusty Springfield..

For the past year I keep finding myself coming back to this. Despite no video or 5.1 mix, it's a great disc. I hadn't really cared for his previous orchestral project (Songs From the Last Century) so this was a nice surprise. He's in great voice and the arrangements are excellent. The fidelity on the disc is outstanding, sounds wonderful. So am I the only closet GM fan on this forum? C'mon folks, fess up!

View attachment 21057

Me too, I picked up this HFPA last year, it gets a lot of play at my house ;)

Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien, aka Dusty Springfield couldn't have made it. She passed in 1999.
695563-dusty-springfield.jpg

To a lifelong Freddie fan most of the people at that tribute show were a pale imitation (or worse, they did their own material..!) and despite the big names as a show it was mostly terrible and they were mostly terrible.. but George Michael really nailed it. Fred would've been happy Liza and Elton were there.. but it should've had his musical heroes rather than so many of Brian's buddies.. Montserrat Caballe, Dave Clark, Rod Stewart, The Beach Boys, Cliff Richard, Dusty Springfield..

Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien, aka Dusty Springfield couldn't have made it. She passed in 1999.
View attachment 21061

Dusty was still very much alive at the time of the concert, she didn't get the devastating breast cancer diagnosis until approx 3 years after the gig in question.

Her last live performance wasn't until 1995.. she did indeed pass in 1999 but that was 7 years after the point where she could and should have performed in the Freddie tribute, she was without question one of his all time musical heroes.

That FM tribute gig is one I'd rather forget, just about everyone in attendance was a disappointment, some were an utter shambles and a fair few were borderline incongruous choices.

Plant, Daltrey and Bowie were naturally in attendance since Freddie much admired their work and was close to Bowie at one time.. but all those metal bands were Brian's idea, I imagine Freddie couldn't have given a toss about most of them in the context of a tribute celebration of his life.

Brian and Roger could be forgiven for any flaws in their performance on the day of course (there weren't any glaring ones to be fair) through their grief they put on a great performance nonetheless.. but its hard to make allowances for almost all of the other performers.

Plant was embarassingly awful, so bad that he requested his performance of Innuendo be withdrawn from use on the VHS video release, it has never appeared on any subsequent DVD/Blu-ray re-release.. Bowie bizarrely led the audience in the Lord's Prayer.. the biggest insult in my eyes was the many acts who performed their own material, with so many incredible Queen/Freddie songs, why why why... they couldn't live up to Freddie's perofrmances, perhaps..

On the day, among the big name perofrmers only Liza and Elton were particularly close to Freddie.. Elton very close in fact, he was one of the very last people to visit Freddie at his home before he died. Elton reportedly sat for hours by his old friends' bedside uncontrollably sobbing just hours before Fred breathed his last.

Such a tragic loss to the music world.. I often wonder what fabulous work Freddie would be doing now if he were alive today.

Queen's legacy lives on of course, indeed the show has gone on.. but its never been the same without Freddie.. despite there being gigs, one-off's and various stints with such luminaries as EJ, Robbie Williams, Paul Rodgers and most recently Adam Lambert fronting the band.

Long live King Freddie.. there can only be one.

Me too, I picked up this HFPA last year, it gets a lot of play at my house ;)

iirc I detected some excessive sibillance distortion on "S" sounds at various points in George's captured vocals on this one, anybody else here notice?

I'll give the Blu-ray another play when I get setup again in the new place and report back.

Was Phil Ramone's last work afaik?

Dusty was still very much alive at the time of the concert, she didn't get the devastating breast cancer diagnosis until approx 3 years after the gig in question.

Her last live performance wasn't until 1995.. she did indeed pass in 1999 but that was 7 years after the point where she could and should have performed in the Freddie tribute, she was without question one of his all time musical heroes.

That FM tribute gig is one I'd rather forget, just about everyone in attendance was a disappointment, some were an utter shambles and a fair few were borderline incongruous choices.

Plant, Daltrey and Bowie were naturally in attendance since Freddie much admired their work and was close to Bowie at one time.. but all those metal bands were Brian's idea, I imagine Freddie couldn't have given a toss about most of them in the context of a tribute celebration of his life.

Brian and Roger could be forgiven for any flaws in their performance on the day of course (there weren't any glaring ones to be fair) through their grief they put on a great performance nonetheless.. but its hard to make allowances for almost all of the other performers.

Plant was embarassingly awful, so bad that he requested his performance of Innuendo be withdrawn from use on the VHS video release, it has never appeared on any subsequent DVD/Blu-ray re-release.. Bowie bizarrely led the audience in the Lord's Prayer.. the biggest insult in my eyes was the many acts who performed their own material, with so many incredible Queen/Freddie songs, why why why... they couldn't live up to Freddie's perofrmances, perhaps..

On the day, among the big name perofrmers only Liza and Elton were particularly close to Freddie.. Elton very close in fact, he was one of the very last people to visit Freddie at his home before he died. Elton reportedly sat for hours by his old friends' bedside uncontrollably sobbing just hours before Fred breathed his last.

Such a tragic loss to the music world.. I often wonder what fabulous work Freddie would be doing now if he were alive today.

Queen's legacy lives on of course, indeed the show has gone on.. but its never been the same without Freddie.. despite there being gigs, one-off's and various stints with such luminaries as EJ, Robbie Williams, Paul Rodgers and most recently Adam Lambert fronting the band.

Long live King Freddie.. there can only be one.

Just to add, Dusty could well have been invited to perform at the FM Tribute and declined, most likely we will never know now.. though the omissions of people like Monserrat Caballe, Rod, Cliff, Dave Clark, Beach Boys, Little Richard (and other artists FM loved, some in fact he idolised) do make me wonder if the organisers had even considered the possiblity of her participation.

iirc I detected some excessive sibillance distortion on "S" sounds at various points in George's captured vocals on this one, anybody else here notice?

I'll give the Blu-ray another play when I get setup again in the new place and report back.

Was Phil Ramone's last work afaik?

You're right Fred. It's there, but doesn't bother me too much and is something I easily overlook. OTOH, I know there are some people that look at sibilance like someone dragging their nails down a blackboard...so this may not be for them ;)

Anyone know what's going on with the Pet Sounds blu ray? Blu-ray.com still has it listed as tomorrow being release day, but it seems to be MIA if you actually want to buy the thing :scream

Anyone know what's going on with the Pet Sounds blu ray? Blu-ray.com still has it listed as tomorrow being release day, but it seems to be MIA if you actually want to buy the thing :scream

Maybe they're waiting to release the Blu-Ray Audio disc for the album's 50th anniversary next year.
It seems to be that's about the only logical explanation for yet another delay, but then again, the HFPA program isn't that logical to begin with...

Doesn't seem to be available yet...I'm waiting for the Analogue version on SACD Here...I had the SHM-SACD version and I didn't like it...sold it on Ebay.... I have the Analogue versions of Little Deuce Coupe and Surfer Girl and love them both...my experience with Pure Audio Blu Rays have been a mixed bag....

Doesn't seem to be available yet...I'm waiting for the Analogue version on SACD Here...I had the SHM-SACD version and I didn't like it...sold it on Ebay.... I have the Analogue versions of Little Deuce Coupe and Surfer Girl and love them both...my experience with Pure Audio Blu Rays have been a mixed bag....

My Amazon Blu-Ray Audio pre-order from February 2015 still says October 21, 2015. Somehow I think that date will pass...

Back