New Dolby Atmos BluRay discs from Rhino

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I've only listened to the Hootie disc.
The atmos was fine. Nothing flashy but at least it sounded good and there was a lot of activity all around.
The 5.1 sounded really weird. Something about the vocals in the center speaker. They were too loud and something was missing because they seemed harsh compared to atmos/stereo. It was jarring and sounded nothing like the original CD. I couldn't get past a couple of songs before I had enough and switched back to the Atmos mix.

So far I've only listened to the Hootie disc.
The atmos was fine. Nothing flashy but at least it sounded good and there was a lot of activity all around.
The 5.1 sounded really weird. Something about the vocals in the center speaker. They were too loud and something was missing because they seemed harsh compared to atmos/stereo. It was jarring and sounded nothing like the original CD. I couldn't get past a couple of songs before I had enough and switched back to the Atmos mix.
Can anyone confirm that the 5.1 mix is presented identically to the old DVD-A? If not, how is it different and what might have gone wrong in preparing it for this new Blu-ray?

Can anyone confirm that the 5.1 mix is presented identically to the old DVD-A? If not, how is it different and what might have gone wrong in preparing it for this new Blu-ray?
I have no idea about the old DVD-A because I've never heard it.

The credit for the stereo and atmos mixes are Don Gehman and Brian Malouf,
The 5.1 mix is Don Gehman and Mark Haward

Hootie and Alanis arrived today! Surprisingly not stolen/lost/damaged considering this is what they shipped in and exactly how the package showed up in my mailbox.

1712775317453.png

Hootie and Alanis arrived today! Surprisingly not stolen/lost/damaged considering this is what they shipped in and exactly how the package showed up in my mailbox.

View attachment 104293
Looks better than mine did. When she couldn't cram it all the way in the mailbox, she just left the lid open. lol. But no damage to the discs. All good.

Looks better than mine did. When she couldn't cram it all the way in the mailbox, she just left the lid open. lol. But no damage to the discs. All good.

But to be clear, my package was completely opened. I didn't have to do anything except reach in and take out the discs. No un-zipping needed. lol

I see a new episode coming up! Curious to see how other's respond to Alanis in Atmos. :)
Played it twice already and on my new system which is ULTRA REVEALING it really sounds magnifico! Never expected this to sound so ALIVE. Unlike a lot of other Atmos discs, this one is encoded at a higher level and her voice can be a bit shrill if you play it too loudly. At 74 db Alanis' voice, always front and center sounds amazing and the instrumentation swirls all around the soundfield. Never expected such discreteness and directionality but it's ALL here folks. And not a filler song to be found ...... A++ lyrics and Alanis' delivery is stunning ....in spades!

A NON JAGGED BIG THRILL!

But to be clear, my package was completely opened. I didn't have to do anything except reach in and take out the discs. No un-zipping needed. lol
That's good. PITA to open, saved you the trouble! :)
And mine got all the way across the Atlantic from the USA and down to deepest Devon in perfect condition! ... and was a PITA to get open :LOL:

Played it twice already and on my new system which is ULTRA REVEALING it really sounds magnifico! Never expected this to sound so ALIVE. Unlike a lot of other Atmos discs, this one is encoded at a higher level and her voice can be a bit shrill if you play it too loudly. At 74 db Alanis' voice, always front and center sounds amazing and the instrumentation swirls all around the soundfield. Never expected such discreteness and directionality but it's ALL here folks. And not a filler song to be found ...... A++ lyrics and Alanis' delivery is stunning ....in spades!

A NON JAGGED BIG THRILL!
Just listened for the first time about two hours ago. I actually thought her voice sounded better than the original stereo version. I'm not always a big fan of the vocals being locked in the center channel, but it worked well here. The Hootie album also had the vocals centered. I wonder if we can expect that as the norm. We will find out when the next two come out I suppose.

They weren't sent separately in two different packages? How odd.

Back