New Katatonia album "Sky Void Of Stars" coming 1/20/23 (with Dolby Atmos mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the answers! I haven't yet made the jump to Atmos (I typically just rip to 5.1 flac or keep the DTS streams).

My understanding is that that Atmos is still just a 7.1 core (am I wrong?). That leaves the question of how to actually arrive at the intended 5.1 mix. My guess is that the best I'll get is a downmix of the 7.1 but this is all new territory for me.

I'm fighting the instinct to just give up because I do want to keep up with all the great music. Is the Atmos world actually "real" surround, in that some human actually took time to create the mix and not just a low quality effort? Is there any quality control on these Atmos mixes in general?

Thanks for the answers! I haven't yet made the jump to Atmos (I typically just rip to 5.1 flac or keep the DTS streams).

My understanding is that that Atmos is still just a 7.1 core (am I wrong?). That leaves the question of how to actually arrive at the intended 5.1 mix. My guess is that the best I'll get is a downmix of the 7.1 but this is all new territory for me.

I'm fighting the instinct to just give up because I do want to keep up with all the great music. Is the Atmos world actually "real" surround, in that some human actually took time to create the mix and not just a low quality effort? Is there any quality control on these Atmos mixes in general?
There are many superb atmos mixes, and some duds. It depends on the engineer.

Atmos on disc has a True HD 7.1 core, from Apple Music it's 5.1. If you play Atmos mixes .from Apple Music on a non Atmos AVR, you'll get 5.1

If you are interested in buying a box set with a BLU RAY disc, someone from Spain listed it on E-BAY. But the price is cosmic - $150. I'm glad that I ordered in October from Napalm Rec., because now at such a high price I certainly wouldn't buy it.

Back