October 2023 D-V SACD Releases (Isley Bros, O’Jays, Enoch Light, Tony Mottola, Henry Mancini)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading the booklet for the Mancini 4-fer (Yes I know I am a nerd-I do read the booklets) and noticed this statement on the inside of the last page attached as a PDF file.

The note about Vols. 1 & 2 being only released on 8-Track is incorrect since they both were released on quad reel.

From Quadraphonic Discography:
HENRY MANCINI -
Best. RCA EPQ1-1128-QF (DQR), PQ8-1128 (Q8)
Best Vol. 2. RCA EPQ1-1315-QF (DQR), PQ8-1315 (Q8)
It may not have been released on quad reel in the UK.

All 3 of them are mostly killer in Quad. I have all 3. I've never been disappointed with Mancini. I'd never heard Mottola, but it is ridiculously good.
The Enoch Light disc is, as you'd expect if you ever heard any of his quad LP's, properly decoded, excellent. I'm glad to see Project 3 now included in the D-V stable. The "Serendipity" album features tracks from several of Light's quad albums, and now I'm going to have to have them all on SACD! That is, if D-V plan to release them all!

I have listened to the O'Jays disc 5 times. Message in the Music sounds great. Ship Ahoy is a disappointment for me. It's a difference in overall fidelity. One sounds great but the other seems to be lacking. The difference for me is that the notes on Message sustain themselves whereas on Ship Ahoy they don't. Without sustain there is a loss of musicality. Message has a groove and a vibe where Ship Ahoy does not. I also struggle to understand all the lyrics on Ship Ahoy. That's how it sounds on my system. YMMV.

I have listened to the O'Jays disc 5 times. Message in the Music sounds great. Ship Ahoy is a disappointment for me. It's a difference in overall fidelity. One sounds great but the other seems to be lacking. The difference for me is that the notes on Message sustain themselves whereas on Ship Ahoy they don't. Without sustain there is a loss of musicality. Message has a groove and a vibe where Ship Ahoy does not. I also struggle to understand all the lyrics on Ship Ahoy. That's how it sounds on my system. YMMV.
I was pretty stunned with Ship Ahoy, from what I heard on my speakers so far (in a good way, I mean).

The O'Jays and the Isleys are the stars of this show, obviously, but I want to do something I thought I'd never do, namely: plug the easy listening discs. Granted: for me, the Tony Mottola is probably a one-and-done (no offense to @hirez!); Mottola is a fine guitarist, and the appearance of heavyweights like Bucky Pizzarelli and Dick Hyman warrants an even closer look for Close to You. But the arrangements are overwhelmingly square and hokey, especially on With Strings. Mix and sonics are stellar, though. The Enoch Light projects are just as impressively mixed and produced and a little more high-minded (well, okay: middlebrow) overall, but what makes that disc for me is Dave's essay, which is like a little seminar on Light's importance in the history of the recording industry. The title I like best musically, though, is the Mancini set, especially the two Best-Ofs, which are packed with familiar TV and movie themes in sly, classy, swinging arrangements--tell me Herbie Hancock's "Canteloupe Island" wasn't influenced by Mancini's "Baby Elephant Walk"!--played by A-list LA & Hollywood session musicians.

The O'Jays and the Isleys are the stars of this show, obviously, but I want to do something I thought I'd never do, namely: plug the easy listening discs. Granted: for me, the Tony Mottola is probably a one-and-done (no offense to @hirez!); Mottola is a fine guitarist, and the appearance of heavyweights like Bucky Pizzarelli and Dick Hyman warrants an even closer look for Close to You. But the arrangements are overwhelmingly square and hokey, especially on With Strings. Mix and sonics are stellar, though. The Enoch Light projects are just as impressively mixed and produced and a little more high-minded (well, okay: middlebrow) overall, but what makes that disc for me is Dave's essay, which is like a little seminar on Light's importance in the history of the recording industry. The title I like best musically, though, is the Mancini set, especially the two Best-Ofs, which are packed with familiar TV and movie themes in sly, classy, swinging arrangements--tell me Herbie Hancock's "Canteloupe Island" wasn't influenced by Mancini's "Baby Elephant Walk"!--played by A-list LA & Hollywood session musicians.
No offense taken

Totally agree, humprof.....while I did like the Enoch Light disc...sounds fantastic on my system, by far the Mancini 2 SACD set for me was the PRIZE...truly!

You do not hear in this day and age the sheer wealth of melodic inventiveness displayed by Mancini's Greatest Hits 1 & 2 and the second included disc of The Concert Sound and Mancini Plays Sousa were just splendid with the latter sounding like it was recorded yesterday!

Michael J. Dutton's mastering was absolutely SPOT ON ......

I decided to limit myself to 2 of the latest batch, O'Jays and the Mancini, and honestly, it is the Mancini I am most excited about. Pink Panther theme is one of the great theme songs of all time, I mean, who doesn't love it, and I really can't wait to hear it in quad. Hopefully arriving soon.

I was pretty stunned with Ship Ahoy, from what I heard on my speakers so far (in a good way, I mean).
I haven't ordered the DV yet, but plan on doing so in the near future. Just wondering if any forum member has been able to compare the sound quality of the DV to the vintage Epic/Legacy Multichannel SACD of Ship Ahoy. I've always thought the multichannel mix on it is superb. The title track, For The Love Of Money, and This Air I Breathe are all standouts, IMO. As always, YMMV.

Regarding the Isley Brothers disc, what does it mean when the credits say "All musical and vocal performances by The Isley Brothers – 3+3 only" ? I don't understand the 3+3 bit. Do they mean just the core band of 3 + 3 members? Or is this something related to the 3 + 3 album?

Regarding the Isley Brothers disc, what does it mean when the credits say "All musical and vocal performances by The Isley Brothers – 3+3 only" ? I don't understand the 3+3 bit. Do they mean just the core band of 3 + 3 members? Or is this something related to the 3 + 3 album?
3+3 refers to the original group comprising 3 older Isley brothers (Ronald, O'Kelly & Rudolph Isley) being joined by younger brothers (Ernie & Marvin Isley) and Brother-in-Law Chris Jasper.

3+3 refers to the original group comprising 3 older Isley brothers (Ronald, O'Kelly & Rudolph Isley) being joined by younger brothers (Ernie & Marvin Isley) and Brother-in-Law Chris Jasper.
The 3+3 album also includes the group "That Lady", mentioned on the album cover!
1000005014.png

I played the Isley's SACD today for the first time, nice albums I have always loved their guitar and vocals.

I'm going to have to 'play' with my Denon as the rears were quite a bit louder than the fronts - I thought I'd turned off dynamic EQ etc. I'll have to do a menu dive.

I bought the Isley Brothers disc and the Dutton Vocalion packaging is so good (way better than Amazon) my dad assumed it was something from Japan.
I can't disagree more strongly. Dutton's sticky-backed cardboard accordion packaging is barely adequate at best, and wholly inadequate at worst, at least for international transit to the U.S. All the proof you need is here on this forum, with countless reports of crushed cases. The recently added "double packaging" option is a slight improvement, but laughable compared to how orders are packed by Burning Shed or CDJapan.

Back