Opeth "Deliverance" and "Damnation" Remixed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine today!

Have only sampled a few tracks from each (don't have time today for full listens but was eager to check them out). Both of these 5.1 mixes are keepers. Bruce has really opened up Deliverance here. The drums sound so much better - all of Lopez's subtle ghost notes on the snare and ride cymbal touches sound so much more natural. Lots going on in the rears and I like how the drums move around the room.

Damnation is just sublime in 5.1 (but then we knew it would be, eh?).

The packaging is white and I can confirm that both DVD's contain 24/96 LPCM stereo and 24/96 DTS 5.1 (unsure if it's full 1.5mbps or not - but I suspect so).

Got mine today!

Have only sampled a few tracks from each (don't have time today for full listens but was eager to check them out). Both of these 5.1 mixes are keepers. Bruce has really opened up Deliverance here. The drums sound so much better - all of Lopez's subtle ghost notes on the snare and ride cymbal touches sound so much more natural. Lots going on in the rears and I like how the drums move around the room.

Damnation is just sublime in 5.1 (but then we knew it would be, eh?).

The packaging is white and I can confirm that both DVD's contain 24/96 LPCM stereo and 24/96 DTS 5.1 (unsure if it's full 1.5mbps or not - but I suspect so).

Apologies for the double post. Can't seem to delete it either as it's failing to load the edit options...

Both of these 5.1 mixes are keepers. Bruce has really opened up Deliverance here. The drums sound so much better - all of Lopez's subtle ghost notes on the snare and ride cymbal touches sound so much more natural. Lots going on in the rears and I like how the drums move around the room.

I heard this mix a lot as Bruce was mixing it and really, really loved it. I think it stands up extremely favourably alongside the SW mix of Damnation and the overall package should be a real belter.

btw thanks for your confirmation of the format. Once I knew lpcm was unlikely I had, for what it was worth, been recommending (and hoping for) DTS 24/96 for the 5.1 but didn't actually know what it was going to be until I saw your post. :)

I have to say that I like the Damnation mix a lot more.
I'm not a big fan how Bruce seperated the drums.
As a drummer and mixing guy I need the drums as a set.
So why are toms in the rears when all other elements of the set is in the fronts!?
Makes no sense for me.

Also the punch is a little bit lost.

But I was also never a fan how SW mixed the snare on Damnation.
I know that he wanted the snare to be natural, but it is too thin for me.
A little more thickness would have been cool.

But nevertheless...I'm really happy that we got both in 5.1.

Everything has arrived...I'm in heaven at the door and will go through when Tusk is coming to me.

A nice weekend to you all!

Love this place! :)

I like a bit of movement in the toms, providing it's done well and not overused, but then again I'm a listener not a player, unless Rockband counts? ;)

We've certainly been spoilt for great 5.1 this year and I get the impression that there's a fair bit more in the pipeline. Great stuff, so long as your wallet can take the strain!

I like a bit of movement in the toms, providing it's done well and not overused, but then again I'm a listener not a player, unless Rockband counts? ;)

We've certainly been spoilt for great 5.1 this year and I get the impression that there's a fair bit more in the pipeline. Great stuff, so long as your wallet can take the strain!

The postman has just been and left me Opeth "Deliverance & Damnation", Velvet Underground "Loaded" Boxset & Sly & The Family Stone "Greatest Hits". What a brilliant week, 4 boxsets with loads of 5.1 mixes, and 4 albums with 5.1, QQ heaven :banana::music:cool::wave and more before Xmas :51banana: . Bread & Gruel for a month or two I suspect ...............

A picture of the back cover from amazon:
217397490_b7b52ae2-67bb-454a-864e-4e9fc58d9056.jpg

Looks like they have the correct DVD-Video logo on the back cover, which is more than what Universal have been capable of lately...

Attachments

• 41cANHpXkoL.jpg
    41cANHpXkoL.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 283
I'm still waiting for my Opeth discs from Burning Shed which they shipped 10 days ago on 10/27 (they weren't in today's mail either). I don't think I've ever had a package from Burning Shed take this long to arrive - I hope it isn't lost somewhere. Still waiting for Yes - Fragile from them also, but that was shipped a week ago on 10/30.

My copy of this arrived late last week and I gave both 5.1 mixes a "back-to-back" run through last night. Wow! What an awesome release this is. :) The audio quality and surround mixes for both discs are absolutely superb and I think they work really well together. Michael's liner notes about the background to the original writing/recording make an excellent read, and the packaging really is as good as it looks on the photos, even though the DVD for Damnation took a bit of coaxing to get it out of the envelope on the back cover!

In my copy the lyrics and liner notes for Damnation are upside down. Let me try to explain: if you take the front cover as reference and thumb through the pages, then the lyrics + liner notes for Deliverance are as they should be. But when you turn over the last page of Deliverance, you reach the liner notes for Damnation at which point I have to turn the book upside down.

Seems a bit strange to me. Don't understand why they did this honestly.

Anyone else's copy having the same thing?

Otherwise: Damnation's 5.1 mix is mighty fine. Just as I had hoped it would be. No need to have worried though since it was Steven Wilson at work :) Haven't listened to the Deliverance 5.1 mix enough to give a verdict there.

I was going to wait for the domestic (US) release of this set, but I went ahead and ordered it from Burning Shed tonight. Hopefully, it will be here in about a week or so. I was glad I waited a little while before getting this one, as it's given me proper time to go through "THRAK", "Oranges & Lemons", "Premonitions", "Fragile", and "Octopus"! *whew!* ;)

.. the lyrics and liner notes for Damnation are upside down. Let me try to explain: if you take the front cover as reference and thumb through the pages, then the lyrics + liner notes for Deliverance are as they should be. But when you turn over the last page of Deliverance, you reach the liner notes for Damnation at which point I have to turn the book upside down.
This must be on purpose, so you can open the book from either side.

A great week for surround releases arriving (Opeth, Fragile and Thrak). So it will take a bit more time for votes (and reviews). I can tell Bruce had a lot of fun with Deliverance and of course Steven, as producer, is the right person who did Damnation in 5.1.

Everything sounds great on this set. The stereo remixes, the surround mixes...
The Bruce Soord Deliverance 5.1 is excellent, and I might actually prefer it to Steven Wilson's Damnation 5.1 mix (admittedly from 2009).

The set gets a (y) from me!

Back