Opeth - Pale Communion 5.1 (Blu-ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could also see them throwing up their arms and saying "to hell with future surround releases" given the headaches that have been caused but not getting it right a few times. Sad, but possible. (I'm not advocating not complaining! Absolutely make them get it right).

Yep, I think you're right, if you don't ask you don't get ;-) Besides, logistically it should be fairly easy for Road Runner as they already have the addresses of everyone who'd want a replacement, worth giving them a nudge I say. If nothing else it may help prevent it happening again with any of their future releases...

Whoever did the new disc needs firing. How hard is it to check the phase of all channels, when a known issue is made aware? It's simple stuff for anyone, let alone a professional engineer.

I'll be checking this out again for the second time after checking out Gentle Giant TP&TG for the first time. :D As I haven't received my "fixed" disc yet, guess I'll be doing some speaker wire switching, crossover adjusting, and subwoofer phase shifting too. Good times. WOOOOOO!!! :banana:

I'm looking forward to at least not having to switch my front left speaker wires with the new "fixed" disc.

Last edited:
Got my replacement disc today. Just checking it out now. Sounds better, but will need to compare with my corrected version I downloaded and burned to a disc. I tried with my standard settings of 5 speakers set to large and no sub. Then changed to 5 large speakers and sub and I think it sounds slightly better, bass-wise but not certain on it. Then tried setting speakers to small and it sounded too weak/thin, I guess because it's not sending the full signal to my mains which go lower than 80hz.

Very confusing indeed. I don't know whether when setting my amp to having a sub (when I don't) and all other speakers to large are still sending LFE signal to the speakers or not.

The original disc matrix: 3 175735.1.A VD01
The corrected disc matrix: 3 175735V2.1.A VD01

I just received my replacement disc and was hoping (not expecting) to get a different number on the disc, meaning that they fixed the LFE channel phase, but it has the same numbers as the corrected one that you listed. At least I don't have to switch the left front speaker wires now.

Got my replacement disc today. Just checking it out now. Sounds better, but will need to compare with my corrected version I downloaded and burned to a disc. I tried with my standard settings of 5 speakers set to large and no sub. Then changed to 5 large speakers and sub and I think it sounds slightly better, bass-wise but not certain on it. Then tried setting speakers to small and it sounded too weak/thin, I guess because it's not sending the full signal to my mains which go lower than 80hz.

Very confusing indeed. I don't know whether when setting my amp to having a sub (when I don't) and all other speakers to large are still sending LFE signal to the speakers or not.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that if you don't have a subwoofer, then setting all speakers to large redirects the sub channel to your mains, if you set it to all large plus a sub, then the sub channel gets discarded, and if you set all to small then the sub channel and the redirected bass from your other speakers all gets discarded.

On 17th Oct. I was sent an e-mail saying by replacement Blu-ray had been sent, anybody know where they're coming from? If its the US to the UK its probably gone the slowest way possible, certainly not airmail.

On 17th Oct. I was sent an e-mail saying by replacement Blu-ray had been sent, anybody know where they're coming from? If its the US to the UK its probably gone the slowest way possible, certainly not airmail.

Mine has only just arrived. It was shipped from the US to the UK by carrier pigeon. ;)

Mine was shipped from the US to the UK and took just over a week. It's just a disc in a paper sleeve but comes in a silly size box that probably won't fit through a letter box...

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that if you don't have a subwoofer, then setting all speakers to large redirects the sub channel to your mains, if you set it to all large plus a sub, then the sub channel gets discarded, and if you set all to small then the sub channel and the redirected bass from your other speakers all gets discarded.

When I set to large plus a sub, I get a similar sound to when setting to large and no sub. The big difference is when I set to small and the sound lacks bass. I can only assume that both options of with/without sub when speakers set to large somehow still shares the LFE across the other speakers.

Got an e-mail from burning Shed today;Thanks for your patience regarding the faulty disc in this set.
Warners have now sent us replacement Blu-Ray discs and we posted them out to you yesterday.
You do not need to return the faulty disc to us. I have allready received my replacement disc a few weeks ago.Does this mean they are sending me a corrected corrected V3 BluRay?

Got an e-mail from burning Shed today;Thanks for your patience regarding the faulty disc in this set.
Warners have now sent us replacement Blu-Ray discs and we posted them out to you yesterday.
You do not need to return the faulty disc to us. I have allready received my replacement disc a few weeks ago.Does this mean they are sending me a corrected corrected V3 BluRay?

I'd e-mail Burning Shed and ask them, they are usually pretty good and will probably know if it's a third version. Please report back ;-)

I E-mailed Lisa at Burning Shed in regards to this post. She said there is NO "V3" disc, and Burning Shed is up to date, having only the corrected disc sets in stock.

I have the v2 disc and while it's definitely an improvement, I really wish that they would make this right and issue a 3rd truly correct disc. I have yet to contact Roadrunner about the .1 LFE being out of phase, but plan to soon. I applaud them for trying to fix the disc at no cost to me, but unfortunately they didn't completely correct the disc.

For this album, I lower my crossover cutoff point for my front speakers being redirected to my subs, and I reverse the polarity for the subs in my avr, but my OCD realizes that there's probably still certain frequencies in the mid-bass that overlap and cancel each other out, and the mid-bass does seem to be rather thin because of it.

It really does sound rather nice overall, but I'm sure it would sound absolutely like it's supposed to if all the damn channels were properly in phase.

I could understand an honest mistake the first try, but after being made aware of the specific technical problems and still getting it wrong borders on ridiculously inexcuseable to me.

I wish I had the equipment to fix this myself, but unfortunately I don't, and I really don't feel like I should have to. I would honestly pay again for a proper 5.1 blu-ray if they offered it the way Opeth and Steven Wilson intended it to sound. I would love to hear this album without wondering "what could've been" in the back of my mind.

Bought this at my local record store and immediately sent off for the replacement. Took a little while and an extra email but it finally arrived. So I compared the two and there is a definite, vast improvement so I tossed the old disc. I think the sad part is that if I wasn't a participant on this fine forum, then I probably would have just thought it wasn't a very good surround disc and would recommend to others not to buy it. And to take that to the next assumption, I would assume there are people out there that bought this as their first ever surround disc. An Opeth fan who thought they'd give it a try and would be disappointed in it and will never try a surround disc again. I'm sure they would tell others that they shouldn't try a surround music because it just doesn't sound that good. I guess my thought is that as much as I appreciate that the record company made it right for those of us that know about the problem, there are probably a lot of people who bought it and just think it's a crappy sounding disc. It's too bad that at least Amazon and Burning Shed couldn't have sent an email to everyone who purchased it and explained the problem and offered up the replacement. Of course, people like me that bought it from an actual store would still not know, but it does seem like a bad thing for further sales of surround music to the uninformed.
And it sounds like it might still not be right. I wonder if anyone has contacted the record company (or Steven Wilson) and gotten an official response as to whether they think there is still a problem? Personally, I'm enjoying the disc and think it sounds quite good with the replacement.

K

I've listened to this disc a lot of times now, trying to convince myself that I still like the "new sound of Opeth". But even though the musicianship is top notch and despite some very nice moments it just doesn't stand a chance against their older albums before Heritage. I actually miss my old favorite band, one band that probably influenced me on my own music and song writing more than any other band out there. But listening to Blackwater Park or Ghost Reveries followed by this album makes me kind of sad... Anyway, it's better than Heritage because the songs are actually real songs and not just fragments, though the album would be much better without that very prominent organ.

The mix is kind of a double-edged sword to me. The overall mix and use of the surrounds is as good as a Wilson mix should be. What's disappointing to me are the very old school and muddy sounding drums. They lack definition and punch. Especially the bassdrum is just boomy without any attack. Also, the drums are mixed way too dry with only the overheads mixed in and therefore almost no room information. Speaking of the overheads, the cymbals lack of separation in the stereo field and are very much centered to the front left speaker.

This could have been a great mix with some more modern sounding drums. But the way it is, I'll have to rate the mix with only a 7.

What's disappointing to me are the very old school and muddy sounding drums. They lack definition and punch. Especially the bassdrum is just boomy without any attack. Also, the drums are mixed way too dry with only the overheads mixed in and therefore almost no room information. Speaking of the overheads, the cymbals lack of separation in the stereo field and are very much centered to the front left speaker.

This could partially be due to the out of phase LFE channel (even on the "fixed" disc.) I deleted the LFE and burned a 5.0 disc to let my receiver handle the bass management and find the bass definition is much better.

Thank you for your suggestion, but I'm listening to a self-corrected FLAC. I just don't think the drums are mixed well or maybe I should say, the decision to make it sound old school and very dry isn't my kind of thing, as I think it was mixed that way on purpose. Just sounds very outdated and boring to me.

Back