Paranoid: 4 (or 5) disc (plus book) reissue by Rhino/Warner is coming 16/11/11

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this is a way for the quad / surround haters to hear the alternate mix that quad delivers without having to go that route.

And it could be used as a bit of bait to get folks interested in a real quad release.

The quality of this fold-down will tell us a lot about what they are doing. I happen to think that the quad mix sounds great in stereo, and has better clarity than the original stereo mix.

Well this is a way for the quad / surround haters to hear the alternate mix that quad delivers without having to go that route.

And it could be used as a bit of bait to get folks interested in a real quad release.

The quality of this fold-down will tell us a lot about what they are doing. I happen to think that the quad mix sounds great in stereo, and has better clarity than the original stereo mix.

I have never heard a fold down of a quad/5.1 that I thought was ideal; there always seems to be something too loud or too soft. So it would be interesting to hear this one given your recommendation.

Yeah, I'm too heartbroken (LOL) not having the Quad. I'm going to pass buying this as I'm not a huge fan of live recordings...especially from that era...audio quality might be suspect. Now, if they were actual audio/video of the concerts...then I'd think about it. :) I don't need the 2009 remaster...either.

Ok... and when we've stopped "turning the other cheek, for they know not what they do".. and quit being so considerate as to the need of people who think surround fans are a bunch of nutjobs and tosspots, how about sparing a thought for us, the surround lovers..?

Personally I do not give a damn about anyone that actively hates surround, that's their problem if they're gonna be so bigoted, as far as I'm concerned they can be no friend of mine. Be ambivalent about surround music, don't bother with surround music, make an informed decision, prefer stereo over surround, whatever, it's all good.. but to actively bash surround or Quad is akin to musical racism and I ABHOR prejudice of any kind.

Phew! :p

Apologies for the vitriol, I just have had it up to here factoring in everybody else but ourselves, the surround lovers, in this largely screwed up music business..!

It is about time surround lovers got some love back from an industry which we support with such gusto, we buy enough stuff in good faith as it is and we just get treated like 2nd class listeners and buyers of the labels' product time and again.

I for one absolutely refuse to buy this upcoming Paranoid Deluxe set, precisely because it has a Quad fold down when Rhino could (and should imho) have utilised the 4-channel Quad masters and presented them in surround on DVD or Blu-ray.

At least the inclusion of a fold-down of the quad mix confirms that they a) still have it b) know where it is, and c) it's in usable condition.

Time will tell. Who's to say that the fold down won't be from a CD-4 record?

Its a definite I won't be buying this as there is no lossless discrete Quad - Sabbath have been re-released so many times there is no point in purchasing IMHO. I've bought this on cassette, then vinyl, then CD, then 're-mastered' CD, then again on a later re-master, then the deluxe box set with an iffy Quad. So no thanks.

PS: My favourite Sabbath is Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - so Rhino can we have that in 5.1 please (I suspect I might come across a pair of Unicorns first though!!).

Quad folded down to stereo :mad: :flame :nuke why did they stop there, they should have continued folding down to mono, then put through an mp3 mangler for good measure........

"Quad fold down to stereo" ?

Hmmmmm....Almost looks as if they're rubbing it in our faces ! (Well the quad dvd wasn't acceptable, so go to blazes....could be this type of ugly scenario ?)

Dirty buggers.:mad:

Its a definite I won't be buying this as there is no lossless discrete Quad - Sabbath have been re-released so many times there is no point in purchasing IMHO. I've bought this on cassette, then vinyl, then CD, then 're-mastered' CD, then again on a later re-master, then the deluxe box set with an iffy Quad. So no thanks.

PS: My favourite Sabbath is Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - so Rhino can we have that in 5.1 please (I suspect I might come across a pair of Unicorns first though!!).

Oh gosh - well Paranoid is FAR from my favorite....I would say my favorites are Vol 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotoge. I adore all 3 really. Oh and I really get a kick out of their debut. Hell, I love them all.... :)

Oh gosh - well Paranoid is FAR from my favorite....I would say my favorites are Vol 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotoge. I adore all 3 really. Oh and I really get a kick out of their debut. Hell, I love them all.... :)

You want it all.. you want it all... you want it all... and you want it... NOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW......!!!!! :yikes

[video=youtube;hFDcoX7s6rE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE[/video]

Ok... and when we've stopped "turning the other cheek, for they know not what they do".. and quit being so considerate as to the need of people who think surround fans are a bunch of nutjobs and tosspots, how about sparing a thought for us, the surround lovers..?

Personally I do not give a damn about anyone that actively hates surround, that's their problem if they're gonna be so bigoted, as far as I'm concerned they can be no friend of mine. Be ambivalent about surround music, don't bother with surround music, make an informed decision, prefer stereo over surround, whatever, it's all good.. but to actively bash surround or Quad is akin to musical racism and I ABHOR prejudice of any kind.

Phew! :p

Apologies for the vitriol, I just have had it up to here factoring in everybody else but ourselves, the surround lovers, in this largely screwed up music business..!

It is about time surround lovers got some love back from an industry which we support with such gusto, we buy enough stuff in good faith as it is and we just get treated like 2nd class listeners and buyers of the labels' product time and again.

I for one absolutely refuse to buy this upcoming Paranoid Deluxe set, precisely because it has a Quad fold down when Rhino could (and should imho) have utilised the 4-channel Quad masters and presented them in surround on DVD or Blu-ray.

Well Fred, I love your rant. It is a great and valid one. Since you are only 40, it is likely you weren't active in the pursuit of high quality vinyl records when MFSL first began releasing half-speed mastered LPs of rock/pop titles. Prior to that, such releases were often crappy pressings from the mainstream labels; such as Days of Future Past stamped off center - talk about a wow and flutter fest. My point is that the mainstream music labels have always had, and will always have, contempt for the public. However, I am still flabbergasted that Rhino, who just gave us the magnificent Chicago Quadio set, would give us a quad fold-down on CD.

Well Fred, I love your rant. It is a great and valid one. Since you are only 40, it is likely you weren't active in the pursuit of high quality vinyl records when MFSL first began releasing half-speed mastered LPs of rock/pop titles. Prior to that, such releases were often crappy pressings from the mainstream labels; such as Days of Future Past stamped off center - talk about a wow and flutter fest. My point is that the mainstream music labels have always had, and will always have, contempt for the public. However, I am still flabbergasted that Rhino, who just gave us the magnificent Chicago Quadio set, would give us a quad fold-down on CD.

Thanks! I tend to regret my rants online about 30 seconds after blurting them out (and on here I often edit or delete them, on reflection) but this rant, well I'm rather pleased with it too! :D

Indeed.. 'only 40' so I wasn't around in the Quad days and I wasn't around when MFSL first started doing their thing either, I only have knowledge of buying records since I started getting 45's as a kid in Woolworths in the early 80's, so that's only the last 30-odd years, still its no substitute I appreciate that.. I admire, respect (and kinda envy!) QQ's more mature members for "being there" in the 70's when it was "all happening".. I do also admire, respect (and envy for a whole other set of reasons) the younger members here too..! ;)

I mean, I can tell you what John Lennon's final meal on earth was (corned beef sandwich apparently) but I wasn't there..
I guess I just like History and I like Music.. and well.. the History of Music is a rather fascinating thing too isn't it, as is the Future of Music... :D

..I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this but yeah.. ok, long day, off for some supper! Think I'll skip the corned beef.. :eek:

Bad news folks: disc 2 is a stereo fold-down of the quad mix. Also, disc 1 is the 2012 master, not the 2009 master.

Yeah, we gathered that. We are totally bummed about that. Sabbath in true Quad would be excellent.

All I can guess is that adding a Blu-ray would have priced out too many people. The 2009 set with the DVD is being dumped off cheap now if anybody still wants it after reading the reviews here.

All I can guess is that adding a Blu-ray would have priced out too many people. The 2009 set with the DVD is being dumped off cheap now if anybody still wants it after reading the reviews here.

Fair enough.. but would it really have bust the budget at Rhino to have put the Quad on a DVD..?
I'm sure a DVD-Video Disc in 96/24 DTS would have been acceptable quality, if they are incapable of doing a DVD-Audio (ironic since its Warner's own format!) these days.

That 2009 set would be a rip off at $0.01 imho, if one were buying it for the Quad, it is truly abysmal sounding on that old DVD.

Yeah, we gathered that. We are totally bummed about that. Sabbath in true Quad would be excellent.

You got that right , I believe it's the best quad mix and sound (when it's in it's utmost presentation ) I've ever had the pleasure of hearing , and I'm not a huge Sabbath fan, but that disc-----WOW , they just nailed it in quad.-Both sides of that quad album, btw.The quad version opens up a whole new world of listening to this Sabbath disc.

Too bad they (band's quad mix mates) didn't continue with a quad mix of the First disc, or even the first 4 discs, or even one better....release the shelved "Sabatoge" Quad mix ?!!

How can they possibly do a fold down of the quad mix and not bother to add the quad mix??? I mean they have the quad mix right there in their hands and don't bother adding it on any of all those discs??? How many versions of stereo mixes do they have to add? Without the quad mix this is a no buy for me.

Enjoy the existing great DVDA transfer of the QR and stop expecting record labels to make logical decisions. You'll live longer actually.

Reading about the latest release of Sabbath's Paranoid which includes 4 CDs.

From Amazon: "PARANOID: SUPER DELUXE EDITION includes the 2012 remaster of the original album, in addition to a rare 1974 quad mix of the album folded down to stereo, plus two concerts from 1970, from Montreux and Brussels. The four-disc set comes with a hardbound book with extensive liner notes featuring new interviews with all four band members, rare photos, and memorabilia, a poster, as well as a replica of the tour book sold during the Paranoid tour."

Wondering why they didn't release the quad mix on it's own instead of converting to stereo. Anyone know if there will be a separate quad mix available on SACD or some other format?

71TVIyDV3ML._SL1425_.jpg

Back