HiRez Poll Pearl Jam - DARK MATTER [Blu-ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pearl Jam - DARK MATTER

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new album from Pearl Jam entitled "Dark Matter".
The album has been released as a CD/Blu-ray Audio edition with a Dolby Atmos mix.

(y) :) (n)

91M1gdSuOxL._SL1500_.jpg

811PHjFdFjL._SL1500_.jpg

I voted 8.
Listened at 75db.
Ripped files.
Great new music by Pearl Jam, like so good, I can't wait to listen over and over.
Blu Ray, ripped using MakeMKV and Music Media Helper.
Stereo: FLAC file. 24bit/48Khz. Dr's all 5's and one 6. Mostly all brickwalled according to my spectrum analyzer. This was my #1 choice as I prefered the stereo over the surrounds. Great soundstage, good wall to wall and height. Good separation of instruments between the two speakers. Super room filling.
Atmos: Very disappointing. MKV file. 24bit/48Khz. DR's are 12's and 13's. Of course I wanted the Atmos to be kick ass and definitive. Pros are full on immersive, some discrete movements here and there. The big Con for me was kind of a scratchy sound especially in vocals, like over modulated for lack of a better word.
5.1 (only within a rip): FLAC file. 24bit/48Khz. DR's are one 11 and 12's and 13's. Same as the Atmos, not preferred as a Dolby Digital presentation.
On Screen: Cool graphics, but come on professionals, put track title/number with your graphics.
Liner Notes: OK, there to read and learn.

Am I disappointed, no I don't think so. The best news is the new Pearl Jam music is great, listening to a wide soundstage in stereo, I have heard worse. Will cause ear fatigue for extended loud listens regardless of what choice you pick

Please Keep Poll Threads Pure To Your Listening Experience Only.

Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new album from Pearl Jam entitled "Dark Matter".
The album has been released as a CD/Blu-ray Audio edition with a Dolby Atmos mix.

91M1gdSuOxL._SL1500_.jpg

811PHjFdFjL._SL1500_.jpg
I found the Dolby Atmos to be EXTREMELY disappointing on this release. My setup is fully calibrated, yet I can barely hear the vocals. So so so disappointing!

Voted 6 a lot of filler and bland video presentation,not even track titles for the different songs.
As others said Atmos vocals are a bit buried but as I always say PJ is an ok band thats just short of good by a vocalist and a good guitarist:SB

I found this release very refreshing. Never been much of PJ fan, but decided to grab this one. Forget the stereo, I didn't even listen. I went straight for the Atmos (5.1.4 on my system).
Just a ton of volume on this, though I don't notice it being compressed, fatiguing or low in vocal volume at all. I just really didn't. Also know that I generally never listen at lower volumes, this sort of music isn't going to grab you unless you punch it up. (also know I am not questioning what others hear, only addressing some comments I've heard here and other parts of the forum)

The height speakers are utilized quite a bit from what I can tell. I say it this way because I never go towards speakers to see which ones are playing (unless I clearly sense that one isn't) It's the overall presentation in surround that matters to me. This title just rocks, and I love how it sounds in Atmos. I voted a 9. I honestly couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
A few people have the same vocal issues that you and I don't have. It would be nice to track down the reason. Perhaps the same DSP / room correction, or the fact that this isn't a center channel heavy vocal mix, or something else entirely.
I only listened once. Next time I will try to hear what others might be missing. I change the channel levels from album to album and song to song, so it always sounds best to my ears. I am a proactive listener.

A few people have the same vocal issues that you and I don't have. It would be nice to track down the reason. Perhaps the same DSP / room correction, or the fact that this isn't a center channel heavy vocal mix, or something else entirely.
I use Dirac Live for room correction, no clue if that's why I had no problems with the vocals.

91M1gdSuOxL._SL1500_.jpg

811PHjFdFjL._SL1500_.jpg
I really enjoyed the Atmos mix. Listened at about 77db. Sounded great to me. Vocals were clear and the jamming was fantastic. Only qualms I had was the stereo mix was so so and no title tracks listed on the graphics. I Liked that the booklet had the lyrics. Would have liked that all song lyrics would have been complete, but I found it on the internet.

I think the music on this disc is great in Atmos. However, as I stated in a previous post the packaging really sucks in retrieving the discs. Then yesterday I got in the mail the Billy Joel Piano Man SACD/QUAD from CD Japan and I must say that the packaging on that one is wonderful and is the way to do it right!

Back