Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after finally taking the time to read this thread I cancelled my order. I don't see my self sitting and listening that long for all that. The 5.1 original albums barely made it affordable vs my listening pleasure, but without them, forget it.

Pompeii seemed to be pretty successful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmph...the printed dates for the last two tracks are wildly incorrect.

Worse, "One of These Days" has been altered with the "vocal" overdubbed where it was supposed to go. I hope that doesn't indicate mass revisionism throughout the box. Though I could understand Gilmour wanting another shot at "The Narrow Way" vocals in the Amsterdam set...

Worse, "One of These Days" has been altered with the "vocal" overdubbed where it was supposed to go.
This is the mono mix and it's always been this way. You're probably used to hearing the stereo version which, for some unknown reason, the BBC no longer has a copy.

This is the mono mix and it's always been this way. You're probably used to hearing the stereo version which, for some unknown reason, the BBC no longer has a copy.

Really? That's genuinely fascinating, I had no idea the differences were that big. You're right that I'm very used to the stereo version and thought it was odd that the BBC show was playing it in mono. I think I have what's supposed to be a genuine mono mix around here somewhere (not just the accidental fold-down of years past), but apparently I never put it on my server. Guess I'll have to search.

Thank you!

I think I have what's supposed to be a genuine mono mix around here somewhere (not just the accidental fold-down of years past), but apparently I never put it on my server. Guess I'll have to search.

I had the 1970 show but not the 1971. Fortunately, I was able to track down a copy. And you're absolutely right about the vocal being there in its traditional spot. That's a big relief since I, ever the glass-half-empty guy, took it as a bad omen.

Now I wonder if it was something that was specifically fixed when the mono mix was created or somehow screwed up when they did the stereo...the fact that you can barely hear it in the stereo version until it's repeated at the end just made me assume all this time that it was a mistake during the performance--it didn't get played audibly when it was supposed to, so whoever was rolling the tape repeated it so Peel's comment about "Nick Mason's vocal debut" would make sense.

So is it just possible that the tracks used in this are not from the box itself but the BBC archives?

So is it just possible that the tracks used in this are not from the box itself but the BBC archives?

That's what I thought, I'm not expecting to hear John Peel on the box set, unless The BBC aired the trax from a preview copy of the Early Years box.

It's not uncommon to hear presenters on old BBC stuff as surviving recordings may be from broadcasts or transcription discs.

Now I wonder if it was something that was specifically fixed when the mono mix was created or somehow screwed up when they did the stereo...the fact that you can barely hear it in the stereo version until it's repeated at the end just made me assume all this time that it was a mistake during the performance--it didn't get played audibly when it was supposed to, so whoever was rolling the tape repeated it so Peel's comment about "Nick Mason's vocal debut" would make sense.

After listening more, I'm really struck by the differences in the two versions. Another that really jumps out at me: During the OOTD intro, it sounds like Roger asks "Am I playing too slow?"...but that's only on the stereo version. I'd ignored the mono mix ever since I learned of it, I never had any idea it was so unique!

For better or worse, the same games can't be played with the 1970 show since the only "stereo" version of that one is fake.

Well... I cancelled my preorder after all... just too much moolah. (I'm still planning on buying the individual releases with the surround mixes I want, though!) No hard feelings against Floyd or the record company.

Yeah, I'm increasingly taking that position myself. There's just too much else out I want to get that I already don't have.

Back