Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine turned up from Burning Shed this afternoon :), but I haven't listened to any of it yet :(. I spent the afternoon on the phone talking to the insurance company :violin to get someone round to fix my central heating which failed again, a few days after it was fixed! :mad: Its a bit too cold in the house to enjoy music.

It'll have to be the Quad Echoes first.

Edit: I'm still waiting for a call from someone to fix the heating.........

Mine turned up from Burning Shed this afternoon :), but I haven't listened to any of it yet :(. I spent the afternoon on the phone talking to the insurance company :violin to get someone round to fix my central heating which failed again, a few days after it was fixed! :mad: Its a bit too cold in the house to enjoy music.

We....need....to....know.....asap... :yikes:confused::yikes:confused::banana::banana:

Well at this time on a Friday you could have a wee nip of Whiskey you know. :friday:

We....need....to....know.....asap... :yikes:confused::yikes:confused::banana::banana:

If you could just bottle some of the 'hot air' that has been emitted on your side of the pond these last few weeks and send it over!

Well at this time on a Friday you could have a wee nip of Whiskey you know. :friday:

But to drink Ethanol the room temperature has to be over the melting point of -114ºC (-173ºF).

Hopefully it'll be warmer in the listening room tomorrow :sun

So, the million dollar question for me is this: Has anyone listened to the Quad Mix of "Echoes" and, if so, how does it sound?!?!?

I just played it and mostly liked it. As Mr. Jackson previously hinted, there are some pretty major differences. At one point it appears as if the mixer selected the wrong guitar track, so you hear a completely different solo...with some bum notes! There are bits and pieces here and there that either aren't in the stereo version or are less audible or that I've just never noticed before. The ending also goes on longer before fading.

The mix is VERY quadraphonic, but sometimes that means a lot of panning that doesn't always have a point. It seems to settle down after a while.

I hear what may be some tape dropouts or damage or audible edits, though nothing serious. That adds to my feeling that it was a first draft that would probably have been polished a bit more had the entire album been mixed and finalized for actual release.

But these are all just first impressions from sitting and listening while also being distracted by the booklet and other shiny objects. :) I may have a more coherent opinion after playing it again. I guess at this point I'd sum it up as being pretty good and well worth hearing but maybe the gimmickry isn't quite as appropriate as the quad mix of DSOTM.

Turn your amps up to 11 and you will heat the pad and enjoy the Floyd in QUAD!

...or this. [video=youtube;27ody0IXX_0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ody0IXX_0[/video]

Another thing that tickles me: I live in Sacramento and one of the included posters is for a 1968 Sacramento show. A long time ago a friend of mine said he once met someone who picked up Pink Floyd from the Sacramento airport and took them to the venue. Was never sure when and where that might have been, but I guess I know now.

Sorry to keep spamming this thread, but yesterday I found something sort of off-topic but sort of relevant that was the first thing since Tuesday evening to make me feel any positive emotion whatsoever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtldnhbjmEs. It's an absolutely astonishing live performance of "Atom Heart Mother" by a Spanish Pink Floyd cover band called Pink Tones. Be sure to read the full description. And if you have a Roku or some other way to watch it on a full-sized TV with loud stereo, do it. It's really, really, really, REALLY effing great.The singer...oh my God...the singer...

Sorry to keep spamming this thread, but yesterday I found something sort of off-topic but sort of relevant that was the first thing since Tuesday evening to make me feel any positive emotion whatsoever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtldnhbjmEs. It's an absolutely astonishing live performance of "Atom Heart Mother" by a Spanish Pink Floyd cover band called Pink Tones. Be sure to read the full description. And if you have a Roku or some other way to watch it on a full-sized TV with loud stereo, do it. It's really, really, really, REALLY effing great.The singer...oh my God...the singer...

While this post and or video doesn't belong here.....dude. This needs to be posted elsewhere. AMAZING, as you say. Killer... :)

Thank you for posting this. I just wanted to have a quick peek, but just couldn't stop watching this amazing performance. Thanks again!

Interesting review at SHF:

My opinion of the Echoes quad mix based on first listen.

Firstly, I've got a decent surround collection but if I ever want to demo how good surround can be to somebody I go for the Division Bell 5.1. It is fantastic. I had listened to the DSOTM and WYWH 5.1 mixes first in the Immersions and while OK I always felt they were lacking something and never really grabbed me. The quad mixes though, to me were a revelation. They felt right. With the 5.1 mixes while listening I pictured a man sat in a modern environment working on them at a computer. With the quads, while listening, in my mind I saw the 70's band and the contemporary equipment, I could sense the atmosphere and it really transported me back to that era. The quads sound 'authentic' to me. That is just my personal perception of course but I haven't touched the DSOTM or WYWH 5.1 mixes since hearing the quads.

That is why I didn't mind that Echoes and AHM were going to be quad in this set.

The start of Echoes quad is a bit too scattered I would say and lacks a bit of focus, a bit uneven. Certain sounds are too spread around the speakers. The ping at the start for example is just in the front left and then moves around, maybe a nice enveloping ping all around at the start would have kicked things off better. The first vocals and louder instrumentation sounded a bit biased towards the front and rear left to me. The vocals on the DSOTM quad mix I would have sworn were coming just from my centre speaker at times if I didn't know it's not used and sound really great and the Echoes vocals, while perfectly fine weren't like that, a bit lopsided. It gets better as it heads towards the 'whale song' section and feels more evenly spread from there onward. The build up and crescendo after the 'whale song' section is really good and immersive up loud! Again with the vocal reprise and louder instrumentation at that specific point it sounded slightly biased towards the left to me but not heavily. It plays out nicely and I would say after an unsure beginning it really improves at it goes along and really find it's feet. On first listen it's not as immersive as the DSOTM or WYWH quad mixes but my opinion may change as I listen to it more over the coming days.

Listening is subjective and I think mood and external influences etc really do alter how you perceive music and so the same song can sound different from one day to the next. What I hear may not be what you hear but I know when I'm in the right mood for certain types of music and listening at the wrong time sometimes doesn't do the music justice. I guess you can also find yourself listening to critique the music rather than to enjoy it and the experience then won't be as good.

After preferring the earlier quad mixes, in this*case*I think this quad mix, while excellent, can be improved upon. The reason I mentioned the 5.1 mixes at the beginning is that Meddle and specifically Echoes is something I think Andy would have nailed in 5.1 based on his Division Bell 5.1 mix and I imagine it will probably rank alongside it. I hope to get the chance to check it out someday.

Last night I put the 1971 Blu-ray in the drive, fired up MakeMKV to suck the bits off of it, then went to bed.

Got up this morning to check out the MKV files that were created and found that one of them is the 5.1 mix of "Meddle".

It's not reachable from the menu (well, at least not obviously) BUT IT'S ON THE DISC!

I haven't played the whole thing yet, just scanned bits and pieces of the MKV to make sure I was really hearing 5.1 and I'm pretty sure I am. But I would absolutely welcome a sanity check from anyone else.

Last night I put the 1971 Blu-ray in the drive, fired up MakeMKV to suck the bits off of it, then went to bed.

Got up this morning to check out the MKV files that were created and found that one of them is the 5.1 mix of "Meddle".

It's not reachable from the menu (well, at least not obviously) BUT IT'S ON THE DISC!

I haven't played the whole thing yet, just scanned bits and pieces of the MKV to make sure I was really hearing 5.1 and I'm pretty sure I am. But I would absolutely welcome a sanity check from anyone else.
Do you mean the whole Meddle in 5.1? If you're right this would be a quite a discovery!

How does it sound? This might be a deal breaker for me (meaning I have to have it!!!)

Are you sure ? Can you give a track by track breakdown, I'm loving Echoes in Quad, to hear the rest of Meddle in surround would be a huge bonus.

Are you sure ? Can you give a track by track breakdown, I'm loving Echoes in Quad, to hear the rest of Meddle in surround would be a huge bonus.

I'm sure that a 46:49 title (t01 as MakeMKV does things) is there with the entire album in DTS-HD Master, lossy DTS and 24/96 stereo. I hope to have time to listen seriously later, but my very quick check makes it appear genuine. I think "Seamus" had the dog in the right rear and Gilmour's vocal hard center. (Yeah, I know, of all the songs my alleged brain would choose to remember...)

Much like we've seen done with other Floyd surround Blu-rays, the "video" is just a black screen with the song title. When I went to play that title and saw a black screen with "ONE OF THESE DAYS" and heard the wind, I wasn't sure what to think...so I scanned to the next chapter and saw "A PILLOW OF WINDS". Lather, rinse, repeat through "ECHOES".

Screen shot of the MKV playing in VLC: http://www.wywh.com/MeddleSurround/MeddleSurround.jpg

I wonder if the 24/96 stereo is a new mix as well.

And I wonder if OBC is cleverly hidden somewhere else, though that's probably too much to ask. I love OBC, but if I could only have one of the two I'm very, very happy that it's "Meddle".

Back