Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure that a 46:49 title (t01 as MakeMKV does things) is there with the entire album in DTS-HD Master, lossy DTS and 24/96 stereo. I hope to have time to listen seriously later, but my very quick check makes it appear genuine. I think "Seamus" had the dog in the right rear and Gilmour's vocal hard center. (Yeah, I know, of all the songs my alleged brain would choose to remember...)

Much like we've seen done with other Floyd surround Blu-rays, the "video" is just a black screen with the song title. When I went to play that title and saw a black screen with "ONE OF THESE DAYS" and heard the wind, I wasn't sure what to think...so I scanned to the next chapter and saw "A PILLOW OF WINDS". Lather, rinse, repeat through "ECHOES".

Screen shot of the MKV playing in VLC: http://www.wywh.com/MeddleSurround/MeddleSurround.jpg

I wonder if the 24/96 stereo is a new mix as well.

And I wonder if OBC is cleverly hidden somewhere else, though that's probably too much to ask. I love OBC, but if I could only have one of the two I'm very, very happy that it's "Meddle".

I seriously hope that this is not an oversight that will be corrected when the individual sets are released. I would hate that Meddle 5.1 be an exclusive to the big box.

Well holy hell. I'd imagine people are tearing apart the other Blu-rays looking for other gems.

EDIT: Pardon me while I skip ahead to the 1971 Blu-ray for some MakeMKV-ing

EDIT to the EDIT: Is it cheaper and faster to change a Blu-Ray menu than to re-author a disc? If so, my mind begins to wonder.

Dammit! Ahhhhhhh. Had I just kept the damn thing ordered, I would have saved up enough over that time to pay cash for it. UGH......now I've since spent that money on other things...like Cabernet....good beer.....a few vinyls. :yikes

Damn, you guys are fast! :yikes

I am guessing you will (or already have) combed through the set and made comparisons. If and when you arrive at a comprehensive list of what is "totally new" to the collector, what is an upgrade to circulating material, and what could still be upgraded, would you be willing to share that information either on the forum or via PM or email? Thanks so much for all your attention to detail in the Floyd arena!

As a casual collector, I'll take a brief stab at this. This is a partial answer focused on the CD audio content. It's complicated by the fact that the titles on this set may be known under different names by collectors.

a note about the materials that are known to collectors:
With the exception of the 1967 continuation CD, all of the BBC material is as good as I've ever heard it. The man and the journey show is magnificent. I'm not an audio engineer or a careful student of the collector material vs official, so YMMV. I haven't yet looked at the video content, but I expect the same.

I had always told myself that if the band officially released this stuff, I had an obligation to buy it. The only reason I was collecting it was because it wasn't officially available, and was unlikely to be. Also be aware that the more ethical trading sites will ban anything that's been officially released. If you really want the material known to collectors that is in this set, i'd by this set.

1967:
In the beechwoods
Live in Stockholm was only available in far-lower quality.
The John Latham tracks.

1968:
Song 1
Roger's Boogie

1969:
The More non album tracks

On the video tracks, Interstellar Overdrive with Frank Zappa is something I've only heard audio from. The same goes for the whole of the Amougies Mont de l’Enclus show. This is going to be a big highlight for me.

1970:
Maybe a few of the Zabriske Point tracks. I can't be sure, much of it has been heard before
Atom Heart Mother band only version is totally new to me
Atom Heart Mother Quad (collectors had it from quad tape, but I imagine this is far superior)

1971:
Nothing Part 14
Echoes Quad
MEDDLE 5.1 !!!!!!

1972:
Obscured by clouds 2016 mix
Pompeii CD - particularly the alternate take of CWTAE
Live at Pompeii 5.1 mix

Continuation:
I think Moonhead has been around in various forms, but i'm not sure.
The Committee is totally new to me, although I knew about it

Mine turned up from Burning Shed this afternoon :), but I haven't listened to any of it yet :(. I spent the afternoon on the phone talking to the insurance company :violin to get someone round to fix my central heating which failed again, a few days after it was fixed! :mad: Its a bit too cold in the house to enjoy music.

It'll have to be the Quad Echoes first.

Edit: I'm still waiting for a call from someone to fix the heating.........

Duncan ol bean,

Take the lesson from the "Python" gas cooker sketch, "They'll be around right away if it's death by gas".:rolleyes::D

Sorry, for the bad joke. I know first hand what no gas or no heat is on, though. Had to wait at my daughter's house for some
6+ hrs. waiting for the gas guy to come...and steadily dropping temp in the house. (February@ -22c outside).

Holy cow you guys, One Of These Days is amazing in 5.1.

Andy Jackson, you did it again!

:51banana:

:walker

Just yesterday I was sort of damning with faint praise the unearthed 4.0 of "Echoes".

This morning I heard Mr. Jackson's 5.1 take on the same track and was completely blown away by its absolute perfection. It's everything it should be and more than I ever would have dared hope for. I can only guess why someone would have tried to suppress it.

Now I'm wondering if there's any chance that there's a hidden 5.1 mix of Obscured by Clouds.

As a casual collector, I'll take a brief stab at this. This is a partial answer focused on the CD audio content. It's complicated by the fact that the titles on this set may be known under different names by collectors.

a note about the materials that are known to collectors:
With the exception of the 1967 continuation CD, all of the BBC material is as good as I've ever heard it. The man and the journey show is magnificent. I'm not an audio engineer or a careful student of the collector material vs official, so YMMV. I haven't yet looked at the video content, but I expect the same.

I had always told myself that if the band officially released this stuff, I had an obligation to buy it. The only reason I was collecting it was because it wasn't officially available, and was unlikely to be. Also be aware that the more ethical trading sites will ban anything that's been officially released. If you really want the material known to collectors that is in this set, i'd by this set.

1967:
In the beechwoods
Live in Stockholm was only available in far-lower quality.
The John Latham tracks.

1968:
Song 1
Roger's Boogie

1969:
The More non album tracks

On the video tracks, Interstellar Overdrive with Frank Zappa is something I've only heard audio from. The same goes for the whole of the Amougies Mont de l’Enclus show. This is going to be a big highlight for me.

1970:
Maybe a few of the Zabriske Point tracks. I can't be sure, much of it has been heard before
Atom Heart Mother band only version is totally new to me
Atom Heart Mother Quad (collectors had it from quad tape, but I imagine this is far superior)

1971:
Nothing Part 14
Echoes Quad
MEDDLE 5.1 !!!!!!

1972:
Obscured by clouds 2016 mix
Pompeii CD - particularly the alternate take of CWTAE
Live at Pompeii 5.1 mix

Continuation:
I think Moonhead has been around in various forms, but i'm not sure.
The Committee is totally new to me, although I knew about it

Questions re the BBC material:

Are all the sessions they recorded at the BBC present and complete?

Also, I read some of the sessions - I can't remember which - are in mono but have been available in stereo on boots. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yesterday I was extremely p*ssed off having no heating, but my Floyd box set had turned up so that lightened my mood, but I felt too cold to enjoy listening to any music. Well the heating is still f***ed, but it is a bit warmer today. So I looked on QQ and saw that some 5.1 maybe hidden on the discs.

So I downloaded MakeMKV, ran it on the REVERBER/ATION disc, then downloaded multiAVCDH 4.1 (you need 3 additional plugins - Avisynth, fddshow, haali or it won't work), ran it to author a BD with a Top menu, chapters set-up etc., used imgBurn to burn to a BD-R. Stuck the resulting BD in my Denon, and I've got MEDDLE IN 5.1 DTS blasting out of my system. :51banana: So who gives a sh*t about f***ing heating now!!

Oh what joy :cool: :wave :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :woopie

Thank you :worthy Mr Jackson for a great mix, so clear now, this is how it should be heard.

A special gift to those that can rip BR discs? I know Floyd have always been about mystery and about the unseen, but this is further out there than even what they normally come up with.

If it is in error, it's a nice 30,000 copies in error. It's a gift for those fans that stuck with the band and made them rich beyond fantasy.

Thanks Mr. Floyd, merry Christmas

Back