Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know what's really great about this upcoming set?
This set will finally settle once and for all what Pink Floyd studio recordings were mixed in Quad up to 1975, the year "Wish You Were Here" was released.
Now is there some juicy stuff languishing in the vaults when it comes to "Animals" (released in 1977)?
Maybe we will find out as early as next year, but for now, "Atom Heart Mother" completes the trilogy of released Quadraphonic mixes from Pink Floyd, and we also get the once heard but never released Quadraphonic mix of "Echoes" from "Meddle", and that's all there is from that.
I for one am really glad we can finally put all those other rumors about a complete Quadraphonic mix of "Meddle" to rest.

:)

Surround-wise it is what it is... AHM, half Meddle and new Pompei.
Smell a SACD-releae for AHM with stereo and quad mix, as WYWH?

Surround-wise it is what it is... AHM, half Meddle and new Pompei.
Smell a SACD-releae for AHM with stereo and quad mix, as WYWH?

I honestly don't think so.
1) Unlike "Dark Side…" and "Wish You Were Here", "Atom Heart Mother" is not one of their most popular recordings, at least not enough to warrant an SACD release on its own, especially if the rest of the catalogue is not following in tandem.
2) As of today, no Pink Floyd Quadraphonic mixes have been released outside of bigger deluxe edition box sets, so I expect this to be the same for the AHM Quad mix. The cheapest way any of us will be able to buy it will be when the "DEVI/ATION" portion of this set is released on its own at the beginning of next year.

No, just a new mix of the original album. I'm not surprised that there isn't a surround mix for that album at all really, it was recorded rather quickly and not labored over like most of their other albums.

I mostly like the original OBC mix just fine, but if the new one fixes the weird ending that's on every version of "Stay" I've ever heard...

My dream Pompeii DVD would include the original four-track magnetic mix (L-C-R-S), the semi-recently rediscovered quad mix, the new 5.1 mix and the original optical mono mix. I have very, very fond memories of being fortunate enough to see/hear 35mm magnetic prints in a couple of nice (but now gone) theaters. The four-track mix worked VERY nicely. I can understand if the pros might not want to include the quad mix...it's fun, but there are some minor quality issues with the source material.

I'm really surprised to see "The Man and the Journey" turn up...I assume it's the beautiful VPRO recording that's been around forever. It's a great set, but Mr. Gilmour was having trouble with the vocals on "The Narrow Way" that night. Of course, it's possible that's been...altered.

1) Unlike "Dark Side…" and "Wish You Were Here", "Atom Heart Mother" is not one of their most popular recordings

It was VERY popular at the time in its home country, but in the years since the band has had nothing but bad to say about it. The fact that they're finally re-releasing the quad version at all is an incredibly fan-friendly gesture, I think. Maybe they just hated the title track, given that Waters has played "If" live over the years and Gilmour has played "Fat Old Sun" pretty recently.

My dream Pompeii DVD would include the original four-track magnetic mix (L-C-R-S), the semi-recently rediscovered quad mix, the new 5.1 mix and the original optical mono mix. I have very, very fond memories of being fortunate enough to see/hear 35mm magnetic prints in a couple of nice (but now gone) theaters. The four-track mix worked VERY nicely. I can understand if the pros might not want to include the quad mix...it's fun, but there are some minor quality issues with the source material.

Should be noted at this point that the whole film is not being included, just "Careful With That Axe, Eugene", "A Saucerful of Secrets", "One of These Days", "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", and an abridged version of "Echoes". This tells me there could be a chance that the film could see an individual release on Blu-ray or DVD later on.

Should be noted at this point that the whole film is not being included, just "Careful With That Axe, Eugene", "A Saucerful of Secrets", "One of These Days", "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", and an abridged version of "Echoes". This tells me there could be a chance that the film could see an individual release on Blu-ray or DVD later on.

The press release says that "Echoes" is 26 minutes, so I doubt that's abridged. "Mademoiselle Nobs" is absent. Too bad, I really wanted to hear that dog howling from over my right shoulder! ;-)

Isn't that pretty much everything? ...or does this box only include the audio only which makes sense considering it doesn't seem to be in the correct order, and missing Mademoiselle Nobs.

As a Floyd fan this box is great (and expensive), as a surround fan, I am disappointed. Went to bed dreaming of Obscured by Clouds and Meddle with a new AJ 5.1 mix. Woke up to reality with only a 5.1 remix of Pompaii. The 4.0 mix is amazing itself, and at this point definitive.

OK, I just realized there is going to be individual volumes of this set. Hopefully THAT is where we get the AJ multichannel mixes of OBC and Meddle. The dream is still alive...

As a Floyd fan this box is great (and expensive), as a surround fan, I am disappointed. Went to bed dreaming of Obscured by Clouds and Meddle with a new AJ 5.1 mix. Woke up to reality with only a 5.1 remix of Pompaii. The 4.0 mix is amazing itself, and at this point definitive.

Wait, what?? Sorry, I'm at work. I've been trying to keep up with this thread, and trying to make sense of the gigantic track list that was released. So, the word is no new 5.1 for OBC or Meddle?? :(

I like your dream, but I dare say they will just be the individual portions re-packaged from the box set. Still, I will get what is available in surround and any out take/live stuff that comes with them will be bonus material. More than a casual fan I would say, but I have not pursued Floyd bootlegs over the years to have any knowledge of their concerts from this period, so that will all be new to me.

Saw this tweet today from musician(Matt Stevens)

"The new Floyd box set is £378 on Amazon which is probably more profit than most contemporary progressive bands make in a year."

So true.....

I like your dream, but I dare say they will just be the individual portions re-packaged from the box set. Still, I will get what is available in surround and any out take/live stuff that comes with them will be bonus material. More than a casual fan I would say, but I have not pursued Floyd bootlegs over the years to have any knowledge of their concerts from this period, so that will all be new to me.

People on the other forum are speculating bonus stuff for each individual era...seems to me they didn't pull the OBC and Meddle 5.1 completely out of thin air, it had to come from something.

I'm in luck, I won't be getting this set but a very good friend who is just getting into surround music and when I sent my friend(Ken) the link of information, he says, for sure will get this as they are releasing it on my birthday(Nov.11).
This same friend of mine grew up in UK and moved to Canada in his 20's so he saw many of what become classic bands of all time(Yes,Led Zep,KC,BJH,JT,etc) in the 1960's and some of these bands even played at his school,all boys private school(same school John Cleese went to).
I remember Ken telling me he saw concert with King Crimson and what a strange double bill as Olivia Newton John was opening, guess the KC fans were not to happy with ONJ as she was constantly getting BOO'D during her set.
Sorry for the tangent, back to PF news and excitement......

2017 separate discs !!

2017 IS GOING TO BE A GOOD YEAR !!:sun

Christ !! There is a lot to digest in those early year blu-rays, even stereo, May have to pick some up.:)
Frankenzappa/Floyd whoa.:music

Back