Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, apologies in advance if I'm hijacking this thread, but I'm very excited about this release (not really excited about the $700 price tag though :(

I'm still in the early stages of assembling my quad system, I have a Marantz 4140 and am still figuring out the decoders, etc. I need to do more research on this issue, but for me to play this back on Quad in my vintage system I'd simply hook up my optical player to the discreet inputs of my amp right? (i.e., FL FR RF RR to their respective inputs and send the center channel to left and right? I'm assuming these mixes are discreet and don't require decoding?

Again it there's another thread that addresses this please let me know, I have difficulty searching this sight, but always find great information eventually... Thanks!

PS I have all of the immersion box sets and WYWH SACD, but have only listened to them on Stereo so far.

Not sure what DuncanS was getting at, but all you need to do is set your player to no center and no sub and it will mix that info into your front channel speakers for 5.1 material. Yes the mixes are discrete, no decoder is needed. To play the SACD you have, you will need the player to convert to pcm from dsd to output 5.1 with a 4.0 setup. Check for that in the settings of the player.

The Quad will play fine as no centre channel. The trouble is playing discs with a centre (so 5.0/5.1) on a Quad set-up, you really need to mix the analogue signals from the disc player, so you need to have 2x two channel mixers in line with the FL & FR and mix the centre equally into both - but being careful not to overload/clip the amp FL & FR inputs. I haven't seen a disc player which will down mix the centre into the fronts - one may exist.

Thanks so much Duncan, so on some players you can set "No Center present" and "No Sub Present". I was under the impression that in this mode the center is split between FL and FR. Is this not the case? Or is it a player-dependent issue? In terms of 2 X 2 Channel mixers in line, how would that work exactly? Universal player -> Mixers -> Disreet imputs on the amp? I'm probably missing something simple but thanks for breaking it down. Much appreciated.

Not sure what DuncanS was getting at, but all you need to do is set your player to no center and no sub and it will mix that info into your front channel speakers for 5.1 material. Yes the mixes are discrete, no decoder is needed. To play the SACD you have, you will need the player to convert to pcm from dsd to output 5.1 with a 4.0 setup. Check for that in the settings of the player.

Thanks Himey, that's what I was hoping, much appreciated. I think my SACD player only outputs Analogue after the DAD conversion is completed, but again, I've only really experimented with 2.0 PCM, not the surround mixes.

Have a look on your player analogue output/speaker set-up menu, I hadn't realised it but my Denon allows the analogue outputs to be set-up for no centre, no subwoofer (but not the digital outputs which I use) so you probably don't need any additional kit! And LuvMyQuad is sure the Oppo will do it as well. Which player do you have?

Thanks so much Duncan, so on some players you can set "No Center present" and "No Sub Present". I was under the impression that in this mode the center is split between FL and FR. Is this not the case? Or is it a player-dependent issue? In terms of 2 X 2 Channel mixers in line, how would that work exactly? Universal player -> Mixers -> Disreet imputs on the amp? I'm probably missing something simple but thanks for breaking it down. Much appreciated.

Have a look on your player analogue output/speaker set-up menu, I hadn't realised it but my Denon allows the analogue outputs to be set-up for no centre, no subwoofer (but not the digital outputs which I use) so you probably don't need any additional kit! And LuvMyQuad is sure the Oppo will do it as well. Which player do you have?

Thanks Duncan, currently I have an Ayre DVD 139 universal and old Philips universal player. I will be upgrading to an Oppo 103D or 105D at some point, but I think I want to wait until the 4K versions are available.

Ok, summing all this up (more for my sake than anyone else's…)

Here's the surround audio content contained in this set:
From the 1970 DEVI/ATION portion: Atom Heart Mother album original 4.0 Quad mix 1970 (Audio Only)
From the 1971 REVERBER/ATION portion: Echoes original 4.0 Quad mix 1971 (Audio Only)
From the 1972 OBFUSC/ATION portion: Live At Pompeii (with 2016 5.1 Audio Remix) [Audio-Visual Material]

And of course (as others have already pointed out) there's this tidbit:

So essentially looks like I'm waiting until 2017 for these three volumes.
:)

I'm only half as interested as I was yesterday now that we know that nor the full album Meddle and none of OBC is included in surround, not 4.0 and not 5.1.

I've just never been a fan of AHM, but I am glad an old vintage quad mix is coming out.

I'm going to take my summer's day nap now, lay down and dream of electric sheep surrounding me.

Last edited:
What a way to burst my surround bubble. We go from "2 Historic Quad Mixes (1 unreleased) & 5.1 mixes of Meddle and OBC" to Atom Heart Mother in Quad, Pompei redone & an unreleased Echoes 4.0.

Somebody from the label or band released that initial information. Was it just a big gaffe or were those items pulled? Pulled could mean that they actually exist.
So now I am not holding my breath that the small amount of surround stuff (& video) will be on the individual releases. That information can be erroneous too.

Ok, summing all this up (more for my sake than anyone else's…)

Here's the surround audio content contained in this set:
From the 1970 DEVI/ATION portion: Atom Heart Mother album original 4.0 Quad mix 1970 (Audio Only)
From the 1971 REVERBER/ATION portion: Echoes original 4.0 Quad mix 1971 (Audio Only)
From the 1972 OBFUSC/ATION portion: Live At Pompeii (with 2016 5.1 Audio Remix) [Audio-Visual Material]

And of course (as others have already pointed out) there's this tidbit:

So essentially looks like I'm waiting until 2017 for these three volumes.
:)

Ryan, me too I will be waiting till 2017.
This will give time to hear what people say about the 3 volumes you have listed as those would be the 3 I am interested in as well.
I have heard the AHM Quad and I like it so very curious how much better the lossless 5.1 on Bluray will be from a first generation master I would hope.

Interesting the comment Andy Jackson said about Echoes quad being strange with missing parts.

Many interesting other 5.1 releases coming up in Oct/Nov/Dec to keep us busy.

Again very happy for those Floyd completists as just watched the little promo and this should give loads of interesting listening/watching for Floyd fans.

Thanks Duncan, currently I have an Ayre DVD 139 universal and old Philips universal player. I will be upgrading to an Oppo 103D or 105D at some point, but I think I want to wait until the 4K versions are available.

Tube: One last thing. I have heard that when you do this down mix, some players will adjust the center down by 3dB and some don't. The 3dB adjustment is to correct the 3dB rise that will occur by reproducing the center signal twice instead of once as is intended for 5.1 If yours does not auto adjust, look for a way to do it manually in the level settings.

The more I think about this set, what we're actually getting (from a surround standpoint), and the price, the more I find myself... not so excited. I pre-ordered it, but I'm still not sure... if it comes out that fredblue's screen capture is true, and we get OBC and Meddle in 5.1 (in addition to the surround stuff we already know about), then I think it's a go for me... or if the price continues to drop... but if price/content stay as is, I just don't know... I guess I could have bigger problems!:mad:@:

The more I think about this set, what we're actually getting (from a surround standpoint), and the price, the more I find myself... not so excited. I pre-ordered it, but I'm still not sure... if it comes out that fredblue's screen capture is true, and we get OBC and Meddle in 5.1 (in addition to the surround stuff we already know about), then I think it's a go for me... or if the price continues to drop... but if price/content stay as is, I just don't know... I guess I could have bigger problems!:mad:@:

I pre ordered for that exact reason...by November we will know all the details..and yes some of the excitement is gone for me as well.....I'm sure the rabid Pink Floyd fans will love it...

Yeah, me too. I took a hot summer's day nap, and still don't feel refreshed at all. So I am doing a stir fry thing in the kitchen as I type this. Steak thin sliced, and sauce (powder packet + soy, sugar, onion, garlic, and h2o) with broccoli and brown rice. Maybe this will lift me out of the funky mood I find myself in.

Now when is Loggins and Messina - "Full Sail" going to drop? And BOC - too, I have these - something else to think about right now.

Last edited:
TL;DR: I feel duty bound to buy as I've been consuming "unofficial" material for 3 decades with the promise I'd buy it if it was released. Your mileage may vary.

I'm still in. The price point is high, and I understand that many fans simply can't afford it.

Looking at the material in this set, much of the material are things I've personally enjoyed over the years via unofficial releases that were the labors of so many dedicated people.

I felt justified in enjoying the unofficial material because I always told myself if the band every officially released this stuff, I would buy it.

Well, they released it, so now I either put my money where my mouth is or admit to myself that it was just callous rationalization. I understand some people can't afford this, so this perspective really only applies to me and my own personal ethics.

I thought they did a really nice job with the 1972/1974 live recordings they released for the DSOTM and WYWH immersion sets, so I'm excited to see what they've done with the following things:

IO with Zappa
Golden Circle 1967 Show in Sweden
The Man and the Journey in Amsterdam
The BBC sessions
Zabriske Point songs
..and other material I've enjoyed "unofficially".

In term of filthy lucre, I think it's worth pointing out that while Our Boys Floyd will be handsomely rewarded with proceeds from this release, this will also pay the salaries of common Joes and Janes and some of our heroes who sit at the mixing desk (Hi Andy!). You're not just stuffing money in the pockets of Waters/Gilmour/Mason and the estates of Wright and Barrett, you're keeping the lights on for some people we want to support.

Anyways. My name is DrPhibes and I support this message. Please vote for me in November.

....and another thing. The only question for me is where to buy? I'm hoping importcds or deepdiscount will swoop in and offer a deal/steal. I'd buy from Amazon.it or Amazon.uk but I don't want to play the currency value risk.

BurningShed has a good deal right now, it's around $400 when you do the math.

Either myself (or someone) should email Burning Shed to let them know that their information does not match the information on Pink Floyd's website and webstore.
Those are the sources I trust.
Anything else is probably very erroneous.

If they had the original reels of "Obscured by Clouds" sitting there and threaded up, and brought up on the faders for the new stereo mix, I can't imagine that they did not split that mix up into at least 4.1 channels, and run off a nice surround mix in 24/192 for the Floyd vaults while they were at it.

It's easy to imagine at the time they they were not sure if they would include this new mix or not, but I cannot imagine an additional surround mix was not done at all. And a nice standalone release could be coming much later.

There is not a bottomless pit of stuff to release, and I am sure that they would like to have things coming in the next 10 years that are interesting. They are holding back some things for later.

@Ron, if you're allowed and willing to answer this question: Did you support this release providing any material from the unofficial video anthology?

Edit: The answer is already in Y! Ron, i hope in some time you'll be able to tell us more on the background of this release

Last edited:
I just placed my pre-order through Amazon UK - Total = 318.40 GBP or $418.59 US Dollars! That is a substantial reduction from the 1st quoted price of $700! Not sure if this is an error, but by God I am in!

Appreciate that. No way I'm not ordering this set. But damn, $700 made me blink twice. Hoping Amazon US will come down to this level and I'll buy from them. They never did with the Chicago Quadio. I'm hoping everybody who REALLY wants this will find a way.

I realize today is only a couple days since we heard and yeah, I already ordered from Amazon UK...but I'm sure debating it. I guess what I should NOT do is get all emotional about this. Just let the order simmer and move on to other things. Once we are getting closer I'll know where my heart is on this one.

Back