Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People on the other forum are speculating bonus stuff for each individual era...seems to me they didn't pull the OBC and Meddle 5.1 completely out of thin air, it had to come from something.

Of course we are just speculating, but I would be one very mad fan if I purchased this very expensive set and six months later they released the contents individually with "new" bonus material added on. I would be drafting hate mail immediately....so, no I wouldn't expect those with a newly remixed surround version. I truly can't wait for the next set though 1973-80's......there is a big prize lurking in there I hope.

Of course we are just speculating, but I would be one very mad fan if I purchased this very expensive set and six months later they released the contents individually with "new" bonus material added on. I would be drafting hate mail immediately....so, no I wouldn't expect those with a newly remixed surround version. I truly can't wait for the next set though 1973-80's......there is a big prize lurking in there I hope.

You are probably right but where did Amazon get the info from last night is still an obvious question...

I truly can't wait for the next set though 1973-80's......there is a big prize lurking in there I hope.

I would be truly surprised if such a set was forthcoming. I think the Immersion sets cover all that minus Animals, which I still hold out hope will come out as a box at some point.

Wait, what?? Sorry, I'm at work. I've been trying to keep up with this thread, and trying to make sense of the gigantic track list that was released. So, the word is no new 5.1 for OBC or Meddle?? :(

Hmmmm,

I read that pdf listing again....and it states (cross) previously unreleased for Obscured, and Meddle ??

I did this after reading on the shed website they are both new 5.1 mixes ??

Now "Wots a the deal" ?

https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/453/7841/

OK From over on the stereo Side...
Disc: 20
1. 7 inch Single: Arnold Layne/Candy And A Currant Bun

Disc: 21
1. 7 inch Single: Arnold Layne/Candy And A Currant Bun

Shouldn't one of those be: See Emily Play/Whatever The B-Side Is

Spend the money supporting smaller artists, PF do not need it.

I don't wanna be a Debbie Downer, but from a surround standpoint, there really isn't much new here. Atom Heart Mother was released back in the day in SQ and Q8 and the Pompeii cinema soundtrack has been bootlegged to death in a few different surround configurations. That leaves only Echoes from Meddle which is completely new. I have copies of all of it except the studio quad version of Echoes (which of course also appears on Pompeii). While there are a few good tracks on the second side of AHM, the remainder of the album is pretty lackluster from a mix standpoint (and the title suite is a bombastic mess that even the band is not proud of) As I remember them, the Pompeii mixes were no better. We could be surprised by a new 5.1 mix of Pompeii, but ill wait until the reviews are in before spending that much cash. I am mildly interested in the unreleased stereo stuff, and the OBC stereo remix, but I really do not care for most of the live stuff at all. PF was always at their best in the studio IMO, and listening to any live material just makes me want to go back and listen to a proper studio version of it anyway. While the fans flocked to any live PF concert, just as I did, the draw was much more because it was an event and a spectacle. No one went expecting to hear a great performance or stellar sound.

So based on the price of this set, I think its a no go for me. I mean, I've bought whole audio components cheaper than this set. Another hundred $150 bucks or so can get you a new OPPO. Now, a remix or quad version of OBC or Meddle would certainly raise my interest much higher. I think I'm waiting this one out to see how its received. At that price I'm sure they wont be flying off the shelves.

And what? No scarves or marbles? Seriously?

Last edited:
Maybe at that price it comes with a personalised set of grooving small furry animals!

I don't wanna be a Debbie Downer, but from a surround standpoint, there really isn't much new here. Atom Heart Mother was released back in the day in SQ and Q8 and the Pompeii cinema soundtrack has been bootlegged to death in a few different surround configurations. That leaves only Echoes from Meddle which is completely new. I have copies of all of it except the studio quad version of Echoes (which of course also appears on Pompeii). While there are a few good tracks on the second side of AHM, the remainder of the album is pretty lackluster from a mix standpoint and as I remember them, the Pompeii mixes were no better. We could be surprised by a new 5.1 mix of Pompeii, but ill wait until the reviews are in before spending that much cash. I am mildly interested in the unreleased stereo stuff, and the OBC stereo remix, but I really do not care for most of the live stuff at all. PF was always at their best in the studio IMO, and listening to any live material just makes me want to go back and listen to a proper studio version of it anyway. While the fans flocked to any live concert, just as I did, the draw was much more because it was an event and a spectacle. No one went expecting to hear a great performance or stellar sound.

So based on the price of this set, I think its a no go for me. I mean, I've bought whole audio components cheaper than this set. Another hundred $150 bucks or so can get you a new OPPO. Now, a remix or quad version of OBC or Meddle would certainly raise my interest much higher. I think I'm waiting this one out to see how its received. At that price I'm sure they wont be flying off the shelves.

I don't wanna be a Debbie Downer, but from a surround standpoint, there really isn't much new here. Atom Heart Mother was released back in the day in SQ and Q8 and the Pompeii cinema soundtrack has been bootlegged to death in a few different surround configurations. That leaves only Echoes from Meddle which is completely new. I have copies of all of it except the studio quad version of Echoes (which of course also appears on Pompeii). While there are a few good tracks on the second side of AHM, the remainder of the album is pretty lackluster from a mix standpoint and as I remember them, the Pompeii mixes were no better. We could be surprised by a new 5.1 mix of Pompeii, but ill wait until the reviews are in before spending that much cash. I am mildly interested in the unreleased stereo stuff, and the OBC stereo remix, but I really do not care for most of the live stuff at all. PF was always at their best in the studio IMO, and listening to any live material just makes me want to go back and listen to a proper studio version of it anyway. While the fans flocked to any live concert, just as I did, the draw was much more because it was an event and a spectacle. No one went expecting to hear a great performance or stellar sound.

Sorry, Sir,.... no scarves nor marbles.... for now....

Guys, apologies in advance if I'm hijacking this thread, but I'm very excited about this release (not really excited about the $700 price tag though :(

I'm still in the early stages of assembling my quad system, I have a Marantz 4140 and am still figuring out the decoders, etc. I need to do more research on this issue, but for me to play this back on Quad in my vintage system I'd simply hook up my optical player to the discreet inputs of my amp right? (i.e., FL FR RF RR to their respective inputs and send the center channel to left and right? I'm assuming these mixes are discreet and don't require decoding?

Again it there's another thread that addresses this please let me know, I have difficulty searching this sight, but always find great information eventually... Thanks!

PS I have all of the immersion box sets and WYWH SACD, but have only listened to them on Stereo so far.

The Quad will play fine as no centre channel. The trouble is playing discs with a centre (so 5.0/5.1) on a Quad set-up, you really need to mix the analogue signals from the disc player, so you need to have 2x two channel mixers in line with the FL & FR and mix the centre equally into both - but being careful not to overload/clip the amp FL & FR inputs. I haven't seen a disc player which will down mix the centre into the fronts - one may exist.

Guys, apologies in advance if I'm hijacking this thread, but I'm very excited about this release (not really excited about the $700 price tag though :(

I'm still in the early stages of assembling my quad system, I have a Marantz 4140 and am still figuring out the decoders, etc. I need to do more research on this issue, but for me to play this back on Quad in my vintage system I'd simply hook up my optical player to the discreet inputs of my amp right? (i.e., FL FR RF RR to their respective inputs and send the center channel to left and right? I'm assuming these mixes are discreet and don't require decoding?

Again it there's another thread that addresses this please let me know, I have difficulty searching this sight, but always find great information eventually... Thanks!

PS I have all of the immersion box sets and WYWH SACD, but have only listened to them on Stereo so far.

The Quad will play fine as no centre channel. The trouble is playing discs with a centre (so 5.0/5.1) on a Quad set-up, you really need to mix the analogue signals from the disc player, so you need to have 2x two channel mixers in line with the FL & FR and mix the centre equally into both - but being careful not to overload/clip the amp FL & FR inputs. I haven't seen a disc player which will down mix the centre into the fronts - one may exist.

I'm surprised to hear that. I've never tried it, but I believe my Oppo will perform that down mix (CC to FL/FR) just by setting it up with no center speaker. I guess I thought all disk players with analog out did that.

You're right, I just found that my Denon DBP2012UD can be selected to produce 4/4.1 on analogue outputs, but not the HDMI. You live and learn!

I'm surprised to hear that. I've never tried it, but I believe my Oppo will perform that down mix (CC to FL/FR) just by setting it up with no center speaker. I guess I thought all disk players with analog out did that.

Back