Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Surround Sound SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would Gilmour and mgmt really uncork a sacd so close to the release of the live multi format project?
I doubt it. A SACD of WYWH would just about steal all the thunder.

Doubt it, David Gilmours site seems to indicate that Live in Gdansk has a set in stone release date. In one of 5 or six different formats.

Doubt it, David Gilmours site seems to indicate that Live in Gdansk has a set in stone release date. In one of 5 or six different formats.

I agree that it is pretty much set in stone (pre-orders on Amazon now) which makes me believe WYWH will be pushed off yet again, if it was even planned at all.

For a band that perpetuates re-masters, box sets, anniversary editions and live tour DVD’s of tours featuring mostly old stuff, one would think a 5.1 SACD box set would be a natural. I just don't understand. Even Genesis managed to pull that one off.

I agree that it is pretty much set in stone (pre-orders on Amazon now) which makes me believe WYWH will be pushed off yet again, if it was even planned at all.

For a band that perpetuates re-masters, box sets, anniversary editions and live tour DVD’s of tours featuring mostly old stuff, one would think a 5.1 SACD box set would be a natural. I just don't understand. Even Genesis managed to pull that one off.

look at the flack genesis have taken from their fan base remixing classic albums. Only thay had taken the commitmnet a long way by mixing everything before releaseing any of it. No going back unless you are Neil Young.

The same for the DSOTM SACD from PF split between the Guthrie and Parsons camps.

Last edited:
look at the flack genesis have taken from their fan base remixing classic albums. Only thay had taken the commitmnet a long way by mixing everything before releaseing any of it. No going back unless you are Neil Young.

The same for the DSOTM SACD from PF split between the Guthrie and Parsons camps.

But Floyd did NOT remix the stereo version, as Genesis did.

Good points although IMO the guthrie VS parsons thing is a bit overblown. They are both great mixes.

Speaking of such riffs. I wonder why Steve Wilson did not get some flack for tweaking some of the older albums? Perhaps it is because not too many people were familier with Lightbulb Sun on down before the re-releases?

Good points although IMO the guthrie VS parsons thing is a bit overblown. They are both great mixes.

Speaking of such riffs. I wonder why Steve Wilson did not get some flack for tweaking some of the older albums? Perhaps it is because not too many people were familier with Lightbulb Sun on down before the re-releases?

Steve Wilson seems to have had a history of remixing albums even in the early years, and generally they have been an improvement (Drum machine to live drums etc.). On te whole certainly with the snapper issues there has also been a load of 'bonus material' added to the key albums that have been improved as well to mitigate the fan base.

If you look at some of the crazy values that original PT albums and CD's sell for though it can be healthy when done well.

Time to blow the dust of this thread again.
Brain damage has this to say:

Possibly in 2008/2009:
Wish You Were Here SACD (Super Audio CD)

One of the most anticipated releases, that is still not on a confirmed release footing, is the Super Audio CD (SACD) of Wish You Were Here. This has been promised for some time, and indeed, in Storm Thorgerson's latest edition of Mind Over Matter, he showcases the artwork for the release which he states "is due in February 2008", which clearly didn't happen! In an interview with David Gilmour published in September 2008 he confirmed that work was still ongoing on the release, and this is the latest information we have on this. As and when we hear anything else, we will update this page.

Last Updated ( Friday, 26 September 2008 )
The page is at http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/miscellaneous-articles/upcoming-releases-and-events.html
I wonder what the interview with Gilmour is ?

Time to blow the dust of this thread again.
Brain damage has this to say:

The page is at http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/miscellaneous-articles/upcoming-releases-and-events.html
I wonder what the interview with Gilmour is ?

The Interview was in Mojo, in which he confirmed that the surround version would be released but it still needed 'some work'.
It was also just 'surround version' in the article and not SACD, though with Sony releasing thing everywhere but Europe, SACD would be the most obvious.

You had my heart racing when I saw this thread was resurrected. Bugger.

Whish It Was When,

Michael

According to Gus Skinas, Super Audio Center (Boulder, Colorado USA), as of October 2009, the WYWH DSD master is finished and expected to come out soon. One of the first people who got a chance to listen to the WYWH SACD was Chad Kassem, owner of Acoustic Sounds. The recording "knocked his socks off".
Although no release date was set just yet, 2010 seems very realistic as it coincides with the 35th anniversary of Wish You Were Here original release.

OMG, is this really happening?!?
http://puresuperaudio.blogspot.com/2009/11/wish-you-were-here-35th-anniversary.html

Back