Primus - Sailing The Seas Of Cheese to be released in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“The way that people listen to music now - as far as stereos and headphones - you can hear so much more, so the idea of remixing it is really going to suit the way people listen to music now,” adds guitarist Larry LaLonde.

This quote worries me. I hope it's not a brickwalling bonanza.

Yeah... that worries me too.

I love the music on this album, but sonically it has always been weak. I am not sure this remix will improve it or not. The hi-res mix may be too revealing and make it sound worse!

I may wait for a couple reviews before purchasing, but even if the reviews are mediocre I will purchase it anyways just to hear it for myself.

I love the music on this album, but sonically it has always been weak. I am not sure this remix will improve it or not. The hi-res mix may be too revealing and make it sound worse!

I want to reply to my own quote. I just listened to this CD again on my "good" system and it sounds better than I remembered. It is quite dynamic, and not terribly compressed, which is good. Hopefully Les doesn't change that. The bottom end is a bit weak, especially the kick drum. Hopefully this can be improved but not unnaturally so. The cymbals are a bit bright and lack crispness. After the ear-bleeding botched release of Thick as a Brick, I will always fear that the cymbals will be overwhelmingly bright. Let's hope Les doesn't let anyone master his mix.

Yay! This made it pretty clear:

DVD- Video Audio Options:
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-bit)
Dolby Digital Stereo (48kHz/24-bit)
DTS 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-bit)

Blu-ray Audio Options:
Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround Sound (96kHz/24-bit)*
PCM (96kHz/24-bit)
PCM Stereo (96kHz/24-bit)

Very cool! I'll be on board for the Blu-ray.

blu-ray set pre-ordered! :D

£22.01 on Amazon UK.. tho I hope it comes down a bit before its released!

how I wish Universal would stick their neck out and release all the Elton's (including Westies, Don't Shoot Me, Caribou & Blue Moves.l of course!) and all the Steely Dan's (and anything else they've got mixed in 5.1 that never made it out on SACD back in the day!) in just this kind of CD/blu-ray set, like the Rush "2112" and "Moving Pictures" sets as well as this new Primus.. keeping everything crossed!

so I've got Primus and Hawkwind pre-ordered.. where's the pre-order for XTC's "Nonsuch"..!? hint, hint.!! ;) ;)

if I knew for a fact the DVD alternative for this was MLP DVD-A, I'd have ordered that too.. but I'm buggered if I can get any more info on it at the mo :(

if I knew for a fact the DVD alternative for this was MLP DVD-A, I'd have ordered that too
The press release says DTS 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-bit) for the DVD-V.

But the (possibly) good news is that both new mixes (5.1 and 2.0) were done by Les Claypool himself - or at least that much I could decipher from this sticker:
514GFi6iLaL._SL500_.jpg

As for the pre-order, I'm still hoping that Amazon.ca is taking a step down from CDN$ 29.18 before May 14, as 18% off is just too little by their habit...

Attachments

• 514GFi6iLaL._SL75_AA32_.jpg
    514GFi6iLaL._SL75_AA32_.jpg
    816 bytes · Views: 353
I saw on one link that it had a contact for Universal Music so I thought why not send a quick email, can't hurt:
I asked:

Jennifer, do you know for the surround options for this release is the cd\dvd a DVD AUDIO or Dvd-V?

Reason why I ask if it has the Dvd Audio layer then it would be able to be played in cars that have Dvd Audio like the Acura ELS model's.
These car's do not play a Bluray or a Dvd-V.
Sure hope it is a true Dvd AUDIO.

reply from Ballantyne, Jennifer [[email protected]]

It’s a DVD-V. It includes a visualizer.

I sent a reply as follows:

Thats to bad as having added a Dvd AUDIO layer to same disk would have meant it could have been used in 1000's more car audio and home audio systems that use Dvd Audio.
Thankfully some bands are still putting out Dvd Audio's-King Crimson,ELP,XTC(still to come),Kompendium,The Vicar
Guess its the cd\bluray I will order then, shame I would have loved to listen to it in the car.
Thanks for your quick reply.

Amazon.co.uk have now dropped the blu ray to a reasonable £16 from £31

thanks for the heads up (y)

just checked my preorder and it has gone down to £16.67.
much more palatable, especially given May is going to be quite a full-on month, with Hawkwind, Primus and a potential slew of Universal Blu-Ray Audio discs to hoover up..! :p

I saw on one link that it had a contact for Universal Music so I thought why not send a quick email, can't hurt:
I asked:

Jennifer, do you know for the surround options for this release is the cd\dvd a DVD AUDIO or Dvd-V?

Reason why I ask if it has the Dvd Audio layer then it would be able to be played in cars that have Dvd Audio like the Acura ELS model's.
These car's do not play a Bluray or a Dvd-V.
Sure hope it is a true Dvd AUDIO.

reply from Ballantyne, Jennifer [[email protected]]

It’s a DVD-V. It includes a visualizer.

I sent a reply as follows:

Thats to bad as having added a Dvd AUDIO layer to same disk would have meant it could have been used in 1000's more car audio and home audio systems that use Dvd Audio.
Thankfully some bands are still putting out Dvd Audio's-King Crimson,ELP,XTC(still to come),Kompendium,The Vicar
Guess its the cd\bluray I will order then, shame I would have loved to listen to it in the car.
Thanks for your quick reply.

good job! I'm amazed you found somebody at Universal who knows what they're talking about and could distinguish between DVD-V and DVD-A..!! :D

My brother's a big fan...pity he doesn't have a 5.1 setup, guess he'll have to come visit me to hear it, heh.

The other thread on this disc has been closed, since it dupes what we already have here.

ED :)

Amazon UK pre-order for this seems to be a real dog's breakfast. The way it's listed at the moment it's impossible to tell if your pre-ordering the CD, CD+BluRay or CD+DVD. What a crock.

Yeah, I know but the title says:

"Sailing The Seas Of Cheese [CD+Blu-Ray, CD+DVD, Deluxe Edition]"

and when I add it to my basket the basket item says:

"Sailing The Seas Of Cheese - Primus; Audio CD"

...hence my comments!

Did you get a confirmation of your pre-order that stated "BluRay" somewhere in the description, Fred?

Back