Q & A with Elliot Scheiner

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Elliot to me is the real maestro of surround far ahead of Steven Wilson. He understands the science and emotions behind the mixing. It's not about the number of channels but how it is mixed with even a limited number of channels case in point a well done quad mix can far elevate the experience than a good 5.1 mix.

Elliot to me is the real maestro of surround far ahead of Steven Wilson. He understands the science and emotions behind the mixing. It's not about the number of channels but how it is mixed with even a limited number of channels case in point a well done quad mix can far elevate the experience than a good 5.1 mix.

Scheiner's mixes always sound amazingly like the original, except with more channels; he knows how to maintain the familiar balance of the original elements even when they're newly spread across 5 channels. He also manages to get reverbs right.

Steven Wilson, not so much.

Scheiner's mixes always sound amazingly like the original, except with more channels; he knows how to maintain the familiar balance of the original elements even when they're newly spread across 5 channels.

I'd say that's true of everything he's worked on with the exception of the R.E.M. catalog--those 5.1 mixes are, at times, quite different-sounding than the original stereo versions. Not necessarily in a bad way, but different nonetheless. The tremolo sound in "What's The Frequency, Kenneth?" is completely changed. There's an extra guitar part in "The One I Love". Patti Smith's vocals in "E-Bow The Letter" are much quieter.

Cool interview... I took from it that the Appetite For Destruction 5.1 must've been done quite a while ago?

Great he's still into 5.1 and lovin' it. I think his mixes are superb too. :phones

Regarding his hesitancy to Atmos... I understand his reservations but I would say the overuse of panning is down to choice by the mixer. I think it can add depth to a mix too. And an Atmos mix in his hands could sound spectacular!

Also some of his hesitancy sounds like Universal Music/Dolby dominance (with a lack of quality control). And the actual mixes only being heard on soundbars and smart speakers? Which are fair points...

For me, when I listen to albums that were mixed right in Dolby Atmos or Auro-3D, it’s all about expansion with using more speakers. I would rather have fewer speakers to install and look at (I prefer 4) but it’s what ends up sounding better. 99% of the time, I end up using Auromatic and sometimes Dolby Surround with my 4.0 and 5.1 mixes because it sounds better. You don’t really need 11 or more speakers to enjoy Dolby Atmos. It only takes 5.1.2. In my experience, 9.1.4 sounds better. Maybe with time, ES will open up to the idea of mixing music in Dolby Atmos. If not, I would gladly accept more of his 5.1 mixes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could have sworn, I saw something on this forum where Elliot was advertising for Dolby Atmos, anyone remember that?
*edit- could have been Clearmountain :unsure:

Here’s that long interview on insidemusicast
about a year ago just for a GP Elliot refresher in case anyone missed it.
https://www.insidemusicast.com/musicasts/2020/02/03-elliot-scheiner

Last edited:
Back