Q & A with Elliot Scheiner

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried a variation of this experiment a while ago. I took the Gaucho DVD-A and made three sets of FLAC files: one left as-is (V1), one with the center channel folded into the front speakers (V2), and one with the center channel deleted entirely (V3). I couldn't really tell the difference between V1 and V2, but V3 seemed to be missing some 'oomph' in comparison to the others. That low-level mix of lead vocal, bass guitar, and snare drum in the center speaker adds just a bit more 'punch' and presence to those elements.

Some of Scheiner's other 5.1's have truly discrete elements in the center speaker--examples include the piano in "Free Bird" and acoustic guitar in "Hotel California".

Thanks for this , @sjcorne :)

Listening this way I wondered if I was missing much ?
Ok so I missed some piano in Free Bird , even though I enjoyed the dvda in 4ch. Oh well.

I have the dvda of Hotel California , so I'll give it a spin later. Might be a big miss if I don't hear all the guitars in the title song.

Have listened to Gaucho dvda , not that bad at all. Oomph ? Maybe just the lack of the extra ch.?
I assume (VI) was listened to in 5.1 , and the other two versions in 4ch ?

FWIW I also tried Visconti's Bowie's and T Rex also some later Steven Wilson mixes.(past 4 or 5yrs)

Listening this way I wondered if I was missing much ?

It depends--if all you did was disconnect your center speaker, you'd be missing entire instruments and vocals (this would be obvious on a Steven Wilson disc with the vocals isolated in the center). If you turned the center channel off in the settings menu on either the disc player or amp, then you were hearing the center channel information redirected to the front speakers.

It depends--if all you did was disconnect your center speaker, you'd be missing entire instruments and vocals (this would be obvious on a Steven Wilson disc with the vocals isolated in the center). If you turned the center channel off in the settings menu on either the disc player or amp, then you were hearing the center channel information redirected to the front speakers.

True enough sj . But no just the center speaker is out , my settings are untouched, or should be.
And yes , provided something such as a solo vocal or an instrument is isolated in center, and not audible in any other channel.
Such is the case( 4ch)with XTC -Psurroundabout Ride . The vocals are not solely in the center. They're distributed in (at least) the fronts and panned all around , as are instruments.
This may be a rare example though. I played a couple of his early mixes (Wilson) and no doubt about it , there is something missing in a 4channel playback..

BTW when you did your 4h flac test , did you turn off the sub ? My system has no sub , 4.0 . (5.0 )

Anyway ....back to Elliot Scheiner .
I think his recordings stand up very well when played in quad.

It's what I figured. Hopefully it doesn't take too much space. I like to travel with a bicycle that I put in the trunk.

No space. It sits in the wheel well on one side of the trunk. Plenty of room for a bike or wood or stuff to take to the dump.

As has been repeatedly demonstrated over the past few years: reports of Scheiner's retirement have been . . . well, at least somewhat exaggerated.

The most recent evidence (via Dandom): jazz vocalist (and "Dan-ette") Catherine Russell posted on Instagram that she'll be doing harmony vocals on Madeleine Peyroux's forthcoming album, with Elliot Scheiner producing. Jon Herington, longtime Peyroux collaborator (as well as longtime guitarist and musical director of the Steely Dan band) also appears, and reportedly he co-wrote some of the songs.

Her last album was on Decca, a UMe property. (Not sure if she's still signed to that label.) Will Elliot buckle and approve an Atmos mix? Will he at least do a 5.1?

Back