Queen Live At The Rainbow Sept. release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my copy on my way home from work yesterday from a hmv store(haven't done this in a long time picking up a disk from a store) but thought I would rather do that as there is no way that I would have gotten this on release day through the mail and I really wanted to hear this badly.
I only had a max 2 hour window yesterday to watch this so popped this baby in as soon as I got home,told my wife I had to leave as going to Queen concert. Wow, I had a great time watching and listening to this. Queen really could rock and the sound on this bluray is pretty good in deed.
So a question here for those that can check out the levels being sent to different channels as I don't know how to do that and I don't have a bluray hooked up to computer. I don't think they used the centre at all for this so for the most part this is a 2.1 with very low sound coming out of the rears. The mystery to me is once it got to the Guitar Solo right after Son and Daughter this was the only time I think where they used the rears to great affect as you could hear some of the layering(delayed) sounds that Brian May did with the solo part and it sounds like you are surrounded by more than one guitar and this sounds very cool to me. Why only this one part of the whole concert?
Does this show that its really Brian May thats dictating how he wants this surround representation to be done on this recording.
To me its to bad as I think if they had used maximum signal's going to the rears it would be even a more powerful onslaught of heaving rocking Queen.
I am happy with what we got as the video is pretty clean and clear as what a difference between main concert and the 4 extra songs(the 4 extra songs look like bootleg quality compared).

next will be checking out the 2 cd's.

peter

Queen Live in Budapest has great 5.1 for the guitar solo! The rest is pretty much 2.1 This solo actually shows that a single instrument can fill all 5 speakers, very creative, shame the rest is not in 5.1

while i agree in the general sense....it is a shame to have crappy SD picture...BUT...if its the only alternative to get a certain title with good 5.1 mix/mastering...i'm willing to sacrifice!..IF its a title i want and can't get any other way... sure i want it ALL...but great audio reigns supreme however it may be delivered. i can listen without watching...

Exactly my point, for the sound I will sacrifice the picture.

I've just watched the first half hour or so of the Blu-Ray and am thoroughly enjoying it. The band sounds terrific and Freddie's in particularly fine voice (what a singular talent he was). I'm a bit perplexed by the additional backing vocals. Were they added shortly after in anticipation of a commercial release or actually used in concert? They definitely used tape live (intro to Father to Son) but I'm unsure if that's the case with the backing vox. I imagine it would have been tricky to synchronize. Anyway, I'm loving hearing these early tunes live. Flick of the Wrist was HEAV-Y!

So a question here for those that can check out the levels being sent to different channels as I don't know how to do that and I don't have a bluray hooked up to computer. I don't think they used the centre at all for this so for the most part this is a 2.1 with very low sound coming out of the rears. The mystery to me is once it got to the Guitar Solo right after Son and Daughter this was the only time I think where they used the rears to great affect as you could hear some of the layering(delayed) sounds that Brian May did with the solo part and it sounds like you are surrounded by more than one guitar and this sounds very cool to me. Why only this one part of the whole concert?

Yeah, the center channel is just a very faint feed of the fronts. Pretty worthless actually. I haven't gotten to Son and Daughter yet but so far the rears are just ambient.

I've just watched the first half hour or so of the Blu-Ray and am thoroughly enjoying it. The band sounds terrific and Freddie's in particularly fine voice (what a singular talent he was). I'm a bit perplexed by the additional backing vocals. Were they added shortly after in anticipation of a commercial release or actually used in concert? They definitely used tape live (intro to Father to Son) but I'm unsure if that's the case with the backing vox. I imagine it would have been tricky to synchronize. Anyway, I'm loving hearing these early tunes live. Flick of the Wrist was HEAV-Y!

Yeah, the center channel is just a very faint feed of the fronts. Pretty worthless actually. I haven't gotten to Son and Daughter yet but so far the rears are just ambient.

If I may...the extra voices are there because of a technical process known as "Cheating" (as Peter Gabriel so rightly points it out in his "plays Live" LP)...
I really really like this........I got this on DVD- since it was SD on the BluRay-
Now I totally understand early Queen---it's taken me for ev er to get it....

BTW, for those who are into MCH...Brian's solo is a MCH fest!!!!!

If I may...the extra voices are there because of a technical process known as "Cheating" (as Peter Gabriel so rightly points it out in his "plays Live" LP)...
I really really like this........I got this on DVD- since it was SD on the BluRay-
Now I totally understand early Queen---it's taken me for ev er to get it....

BTW, for those who are into MCH...Brian's solo is a MCH fest!!!!!

Back