Queen Rock Montreal + Live Aid 4K Ultra HD Edition on May 10!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite strange: I tried to play Disc 2 on my UBP-X800M2 (on a Yamaha RX-A3080 and a Sony KD-50SD8005 TV, several times) in my music room: menu loop and no possibility to choose anything, as reported.
Then I tried it in the living room on a UBP-X800 (over a Yamaha RX-A2080 and a Samsung GQ75Q90T QLED TV) and it worked! At least two times it freezed, though.

Strange enough: when I tried again after that in my music room, it worked there, too (it plays at the moment)! Feels like a ghost in the machine!

I wanted to put a laughing emoji Ralphie but it's all a bit sad really. With my experience of giving Disc 2 a good wipe, is there a protective, manufactured layer on these discs ?
FYI Farmer Mike

Because the data is closer to the surface, a hard coating is placed on the outside of the disc to protect it from scratches and fingerprints.

So yes, there is a hard coating applied to the playing surface of BD discs!

Just a lurker here. I got the Amazon Queen disks Friday - with only a logo looping on both disk (no menu displayed) and requested a replacement. Replacement came today - same results. So all are going back.

BTW Peter Gabriel's Back to Front played fine (and is great).

Just a lurker here. I got the Amazon Queen disks Friday - with only a logo looping on both disk (no menu displayed) and requested a replacement. Replacement came today - same results. So all are going back.

BTW Peter Gabriel's Back to Front played fine (and is great).
The PG is out already? I didn’t know that was on us so quickly, off to hunt now. I just ordered the Queen from Juno, I’ll be annoyed if i missed out on combined shipping

Me too. (Sony UBP-X800 player) 4k Edition and both discs just cycle through the intro screen; neither play nor allow any interaction due to the absence of menu items to click on. And yes: The packaging is shameful indeed. The lower slot was not die-cut properly and the disk was loose and sliding around inside the card. Anyone know anything about replacements yet?

On my Oppo UDP-203, the first disc of the 4K set worked and had a menu, but the second disc just loops the red insert photos.

Received my 4K copy.
Playback success is a mixed bag depending on your machine:

Sony UBP-X800M2: I can't get past the into Queen logo screen on either disc 1 or 2
Panasonic DP-UD820: Disc 1 plays fine, but Disc 2 is the same as above (can't get past intro screen)
Sony PS5: Both discs play fine

I haven't tried cleaning the playing surface to remove any 'residue' yet.

Received my 4K copy.
Playback success is a mixed bag depending on your machine:

Sony UBP-X800M2: I can't get past the into Queen logo screen on either disc 1 or 2
Panasonic DP-UD820: Disc 1 plays fine, but Disc 2 is the same as above (can't get past intro screen)
Sony PS5: Both discs play fine

I haven't tried cleaning the playing surface to remove any 'residue' yet.
Cleaned both discs in warm soapy water, patted dry and wiped carefully with a soft cloth - hasn't solved the problem on my Sony UBP-800M2 (couldn't be arsed to see if disc 2 would work on my Panny since the 800 is my main player hooked up to my Atmos system) so I'll be sending this set back to Rarewaves for a refund unless a disc replacement program is announced.

This Queen concert comes w 2 4k or I assume 2 blu ray discs if you order the blu ray version. For the 4k, one disc is 4:3 with black bars each side, and the other is 16:9 or “widescreen” as the disc is labeled.

For both discs, I had to reinsert to get them to go to the main menu and play. And the 4:3 disc zi found was pretty dirty and I cleaned it up like new and it played fine.

The 4k discs have 48k Atmos and 5.1DTS-HD as well as 2 channel audio.

I have the 15-16 year old blu ray and it’s 5.1 DTS-HD is 96k. I also have the Kaleidescape blu ray quality and it also is 5.1 DTS-HD 96k.

All working fine for me, UK discs from amazon.co.uk and UK Oppo 95 and 203 players.

To be more specific, I bought both the BD and 4K because I only have a 1080p TV at present and I'm a bit of a Queen collector.

Oppo 95 with final UK/EU firmware, hardware multi region mod set to DVD multi region and BD region A. Plays both BD discs fine, all menu items selectable and both main title and Live Aid playable on both discs.

Oppo 203 with final UK/EU firmware, hardware multi region mod set to DVD multi region and BD region B. Plays both BD discs and both 4K discs fine, all menu items selectable and both main title (in HDR and SDR) and Live Aid playable on all four discs.

Atmos selects OK on all 4 discs, as does DTS HD MA 5.1.

The only odd choice I see is Live Aid is at 59.94p frame rate. It was shot at 25i for UK TV so no idea why they chose such a strange frame rate. Going back to the 2007 BD that had Live Aid at 59.94i and 720 x 480 resolution, which is even weirder as it throws away some of the 576 vertical resolution it would have been shot at. At least we got that back (if it is a new transfer), the Live Aid video is now 1920 x 1080 but that will be because that's the minimum allowed on a 4K disc (stupid decision in the specs, every player can play DVDs and BDs so can play standard definition, this is why many 4K discs have no extras and the extras in SD are on the BD in dual packs).

I just received a full refund from Rarewaves and they told me to keep the set - can't argue at that for customer service!
Now here's hoping for a disc replacement program...............;)

I just received a full refund from Rarewaves and they told me to keep the set - can't argue at that for customer service!
Now here's hoping for a disc replacement program...............;)
I have to say this problem with the discs is odd. Mine are all fine and you are in the UK like me, plus it looks like the discs are identical worldwide anyway (all region coded, 59.94p frame rate for Live Aid, no film classification ratings or anything else country specific).

I discovered last night I now own 6 copies of Montreal on optical disc:

* We Will Rock You DVD - original DVD release with DTS soundtrack but no Live Aid, may be of no value now
* Rock Montreal and Live Aid DVD boxset - very similar content to this new set, DTS 96/24 sound, Live Aid at PAL resolution and frame rate so potentially the best copy of Live Aid
* Rock Montreal and Live Aid Blu Ray 2007 - almost identical content to this set, VC1 video and DTS HD HR soundtrack so a useful test disc for players and AVRs, not sure what other value it might have (unmolested by AI perhaps?)
* Rock Montreal double CD from 2007
* New set BD
* New set 4K

I didn't go for CDs this time. The content is the same as in 2007 and the 2007 is in a jewel case. So all I'd get now is worse packaging and potentially different mastering.

I have to say this problem with the discs is odd. Mine are all fine and you are in the UK like me, plus it looks like the discs are identical worldwide anyway (all region coded, 59.94p frame rate for Live Aid, no film classification ratings or anything else country specific).
What machine are you using? Seems like the Sony 800 doesn't like it and I've heard that playback on Panasonic machines is also hit and miss.
My Sony PS5 likes it but i don't want to rely on that for movie/concert viewing.

Oppos seem to get along with this release as far as I've been reading on here and other forums.

I played it again today with the UBP-800M2 without any problems, which is really strange, after it first didn‘t play on the same machine.

What machine are you using? Seems like the Sony 800 doesn't like it and I've heard that playback on Panasonic machines is also hit and miss.
My Sony PS5 likes it but i don't want to rely on that for movie/concert viewing.

Oppos seem to get along with this release as far as I've been reading on here and other forums.
As I said in post 75 on this thread, UK spec Oppo 95 and 203. But someone earlier on this thread had a problem on Oppo 203.

Back