Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Yes I used the TAKE10 promo. Net $98 + shipping.

Are you thinking they won't get more stock? I sure hope they do. Where else should I look (at reasonable prices)?

Regarding credit card...All my music purchases (except from Amazon) come from a personal Paypal music fund, so Importcds has my money already.....

If they cancel they'll refund my money.

Thanks
Steve

You might have your money tied up for quite a while...just saying...there isn't anywhere else right now that you could get a comparable price...

I wish I had kissed and made up with Amazon, but I unfortunately stuck with the Moose and, since they apparently never got any stock from Universal, now have to wait for a repress that may or may not occur.
The same thing happened to me last week. The Moose evidently didn't get any. I then ordered one from Burning Shed Friday and it's now on the way via Fed Ex And will arrive supposedly this Friday. As of 5 minutes ago the shed still has some. A little more expensive than the moose with shipping though.

C'mon Steve...be positive...you can never tell what might happen:)...be patient...

Great advice! I waited for Eye in the Sky, and it came!!! One of my fav's of all time.

One thing I've learned from your wisdom, and many others on this site in the short couple years I've been in this hobby....patience is a necessary virtue. In general be hopeful but not expectant.

The same thing happened to me last week. The Moose evidently didn't get any. I then ordered one from Burning Shed Friday and it's now on the way via Fed Ex And will arrive supposedly this Friday. As of 5 minutes ago the shed still has some. A little more expensive than the moose with shipping though.

Thanks for pointing me in this direction, but the shipping charge puts it out of reach for me. Amazon seems to have it back in stock though, and if I can get over the fact that I'll be paying $50 more than everybody else, I'll probably get it there.

OK...for once..I am gonna say that I did not like SW's mix...
It's too "all over the place"!!!!

Neil in the REARS????? I'd get it for ONE song, but ,ALL OF THE ALBUM???

On the first song Geddy's vox is WAY TOO LOUD!!!

It's like someone else mixed this..Steven's mixes have a "center"..and this one doesn't!!!!

It's not cohesive!!!!

YES; PLEASE FEEL FREE TO THROW STONES!!!!

Maybe later I'll get used to it, but at first ....it didn't work for me...sorry!!!

It's like someone else mixed this..Steven's mixes have a "center"..and this one doesn't!!!!

It's not cohesive!!!!

Maybe later I'll get used to it, but at first ....it didn't work for me...sorry!!!

Did not see that coming...

It's not cohesive!!!!

Interesting... I hear what you mean about the mix being “all over the place”, but for me that was a positive... I found myself thinking “Steven Wilson is amazing because he’s always doing something unexpected or unconventional with this mix”. I also found the presence of Neil’s fills in the rear speakers
To be an asset (probably my favorite thing about the mix!)

The vocals were fine for me ( although on Steven’s recent Marillion mix I found the vocals to be too low).

At least you have two mixes to choose from with AFTK!

Did not see that coming...

I did...it happens on every release...someone is always going to have a different "feeling" about the mix...I would be surprised if everybody said the exact same thing every single time...think about all the variables in play...something that is seldom considered is how different our acoustic backgrounds are...things like rugs...carpets.... hardwood floors...brick walls...drywall....drapes and room shapes affect the sound we hear...then there is the equipment we use...and then our hearing...in my case... my hearing is especially sensitive to bright compressed sounds...what might be just a little shrill to the average listener is magnified in my ears

Kap'n always gives an organic..unfiltered opinion...whether you agree or not...it's straight from the heart...of course there will be others that have "issues" with this mix...Kap'n is just the first:)

Thanks for pointing me in this direction, but the shipping charge puts it out of reach for me. Amazon seems to have it back in stock though, and if I can get over the fact that I'll be paying $50 more than everybody else, I'll probably get it there.

If you are in a RUSH you can always order from Rush's website which is $150 but you get a $20 gift certificate to wards another title, maybe Hemispheres next year, ok wishful thinking there.

https://www.rushbackstage.com/

Importcds does have it for around $100 still with there Take10 offer right now but it is back ordered.

I did...it happens on every release...someone is always going to have a different "feeling" about the mix...I would be surprised if everybody said the exact same thing every single time...think about all the variables in play...something that is seldom considered is how different our acoustic backgrounds are...things like rugs...carpets.... hardwood floors...brick walls...drywall....drapes and room shapes affect the sound we hear...then there is the equipment we use...and then our hearing...in my case... my hearing is especially sensitive to bright compressed sounds...what might be just a little shrill to the average listener is magnified in my ears

Kap'n always gives an organic..unfiltered opinion...whether you agree or not...it's straight from the heart...of course there will be others that have "issues" with this mix...Kap'n is just the first:)

Love you , too , bro!!! ;)
That's the way it felt when I first heard it ; it TOTALLY threw me off..and mind you , I did not have ANY expectations..just the "let's hear how SW processed the MCH in his head" ...
and I can't but TOTALLY agree with your assertion that EVERYONE'S expectations, hearing, etc. is different...and THAT is precisely the thrill...oh, yeah, we ALL agree that ES' MCH mixes are great (that is the CLOSEST we are all going to be in the same boat!)...and STILL!!!...the "I'd have done this and put that over there.." mentality is gonna be there.

I think that's what makes this forum so special.

People who listen AND enjoy Surround mixes are basically..aliens!(?)

And we love it cause the "big league" guys who STILL go for MCH are brilliant people who do brilliant , challenging music...bless their hearts!

BTW..I still don't get this mix ... maybe SW can chime in(besides the blurb he wrote for the release)...are you there , Steven???

:smokin

It's not cohesive!!!!

You won't get any stones (or tomatoes) thrown at you by me... ;)
I understand your point of view because I was initially disappointed by this new 5.1 surround mix, especially after hearing the new 5.1 surround mix of "Eye in the Sky" that same day.
I guess I was expecting to be blown away by Steven Wilson's mix in the same way I was blown away by his 5.1 surround mix of "Fragile" by Yes, and that just did not happen.
I understand why though.
As he pointed out in the liner notes, it's tough to mix a band like RUSH in surround sound, because not only were their records just designed for stereo back when they were recorded, but they were also designed to be played the same way when they played the songs live, so there's many times over the course of this record where the arrangements are very sparse, and that means the 5.1 surround mix is also pretty sparse.
The tom rolls moving from front to back (or back to front) annoyed me a little bit at first, but I've become more accustomed to it now.

Even though I have not done a detailed comparison of both 5.1 surround mixes side-by-side, I fully understand now each mixer's approach as well as each mix's pros and cons.

Steven Wilson fully acknowledged that the sparse arrangements were part of the sound of the album, and so instead of trying to fill out all channels to the max all the time, he focused on maintaining the original sound and spirit of the album, using the surround channels only when it was best.
This means that while his mix is ultimately a more front-centered mix, the clarity is incredible, and when the surround channels are used, it makes all the more sense!

Richard Chycki on the other hand decided to fill out all channels as much he could, using doubling and delays on guitar and vocal parts to try and widen out the sound. However, by doing this, I find his mix to be less focused, less discrete, and less clear.

All in all, I don't think there is as big of a difference between the new 5.1 surround mix and the old 5.1 surround mix as there is on an album like "Fragile" by Yes, where I think the new 5.1 surround mix is clearly the better mix by a long shot!
Steven Wilson's new 5.1 surround mix of "A Farewell to Kings" is the better 5.1 surround mix IMHO but it still pales in comparison to other recent 5.1 surround mixes of his like "Three Piece Suite" and (especially) "Black Sea".

You won't get any stones (or tomatoes) thrown at you by me... ;)
I understand your point of view because I was initially disappointed by this new 5.1 surround mix, especially after hearing the new 5.1 surround mix of "Eye in the Sky" that same day.
I guess I was expecting to be blown away by Steven Wilson's mix in the same way I was blown away by his 5.1 surround mix of "Fragile" by Yes, and that just did not happen.
I understand why though.
As he pointed out in the liner notes, it's tough to mix a band like RUSH in surround sound, because not only were their records just designed for stereo back when they were recorded, but they were also designed to be played the same way when they played the songs live, so there's many times over the course of this record where the arrangements are very sparse, and that means the 5.1 surround mix is also pretty sparse.
The tom rolls moving from front to back (or back to front) annoyed me a little bit at first, but I've become more accustomed to it now.

Even though I have not done a detailed comparison of both 5.1 surround mixes side-by-side, I fully understand now each mixer's approach as well as each mix's pros and cons.

Steven Wilson fully acknowledged that the sparse arrangements were part of the sound of the album, and so instead of trying to fill out all channels to the max all the time, he focused on maintaining the original sound and spirit of the album, using the surround channels only when it was best.
This means that while his mix is ultimately a more front-centered mix, the clarity is incredible, and when the surround channels are used, it makes all the more sense!

Richard Chycki on the other hand decided to fill out all channels as much he could, using doubling and delays on guitar and vocal parts to try and widen out the sound. However, by doing this, I find his mix to be less focused, less discrete, and less clear.

All in all, I don't think there is as big of a difference between the new 5.1 surround mix and the old 5.1 surround mix as there is on an album like "Fragile" by Yes, where I think the new 5.1 surround mix is clearly the better mix by a long shot!
Steven Wilson's new 5.1 surround mix of "A Farewell to Kings" is the better 5.1 surround mix IMHO but it still pales in comparison to other recent 5.1 surround mixes of his like "Three Piece Suite" and (especially) "Black Sea".

I haven't listened to it yet but let me just say this...when you mentioned Steven Wilson's mix of the Fragile album it took me back to that disc...I still remember my reaction...and it still is true today some 2 years later...I've never seen such an improvement on a previous surround mix.....never...so when you use that comparison you are certainly raising the bar...not saying you shouldn't....but that is a high hill to climb for Steven or anybody else:)

It’s interesting... when Sgt Pepper was released in surround, I ultimately voted based on an objective review comparing the surround mix to other, much better surround mixes (rather than voting a 10 and justifying my vote by saying “ this couldn’t have been mixed any better given the source material “)... with AFTKs, I’m now one of the people who voted 10 and find myself thinking “this couldn’t have been done any better given the source material”! I really think, though, that it sounds fantastic, and Steven really used all kinds of interesting methods to fill out the surround fields in satisfying and timely ways (emphasizing dramatic moments with lots of surround activity, or keeping things simple and up front when it’s just the three musicians jamming). I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the toms rolling around the room... it’s the one thing I sorely missed from previous Rush surround mixes.

And the fidelity of this mix is so clear, it begs to be cranked up!

It’s interesting... when Sgt Pepper was released in surround, I ultimately voted based on an objective review comparing the surround mix to other, much better surround mixes (rather than voting a 10 and justifying my vote by saying “ this couldn’t have been mixed any better given the source material “)... with AFTKs, I’m now one of the people who voted 10 and find myself thinking “this couldn’t have been done any better given the source material”! I really think, though, that it sounds fantastic, and Steven really used all kinds of interesting methods to fill out the surround fields in satisfying and timely ways (emphasizing dramatic moments with lots of surround activity, or keeping things simple and up front when it’s just the three musicians jamming). I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the toms rolling around the room... it’s the one thing I sorely missed from previous Rush surround mixes.

And the fidelity of this mix is so clear, it begs to be cranked up!

This will be interesting going forward IF Steven Wilson does another Rush title...it might answer a question that most of have wanted to know for a long time...and it might yield a answer that won't be the one we all hoped for...what if Steven does another Rush title that had a previous surround mix and it is only marginally better than the previous mix...what are we left with then?...we are left with the realization that the mixes weren't really the problem and that the source material is...which means there really isn't anything that can remedy that problem..

I haven't listened to it yet but let me just say this...when you mentioned Steven Wilson's mix of the Fragile album it took me back to that disc...I still remember my reaction...and it still is true today some 2 years later...I've never seen such an improvement on a previous surround mix.....never...so when you use that comparison you are certainly raising the bar...not saying you shouldn't....but that is a high hill to climb for Steven or anybody else:)

I will say I think it was a lot easier for Steven Wilson to improve upon "Fragile" because a) there's a lot more parts to it than can be found on "A Farewell to Kings" and b) I think the original 5.1 surround mix of "Fragile" is so terrible that I think almost anything Steven Wilson would have done would be an improvement. He just not only improved the album but created THE definitive mix of it, one which I think will never be beaten by anyone else!

:)

This will be interesting going forward IF Steven Wilson does another Rush title...it might answer a question that most of have wanted to know for a long time...and it might yield a answer that won't be the one we all hoped for...what if Steven does another Rush title that had a previous surround mix and it is only marginally better than the previous mix...what are we left with then?...we are left with the realization that the mixes weren't really the problem and that the source material is...which means there really isn't anything that can remedy that problem..

If Steven Wilson is able to remix both "Hemispheres" and "Permanent Waves", I think the reactions will be more uniformly positive because all we will be able to compare his 5.1 surround mixes of those albums to will be the original stereo mixes.
The REAL test will be if & when he remixes both "Moving Pictures" and "Signals" because both of those records are a lot more dense and layered than "A Farewell to Kings" is, and that is especially true of "Signals", so I'm really hoping to be amazed if and when he gets to those records.

I really doubt he could have improved "Fly By Night" at all, but it would have been interesting to have heard his take on a 5.1 surround mix of "2112".
Unfortunately, with the 40th anniversary of that record already having passed last year, I'm sure it's not due for another reissue until its 50th anniversary in 2026... :yikes

I just hope folks don't get discouraged before even purchasing, or hearing the Rush. I am super satisfied with it, as I think the fidelity, along with the surround mix sound excellent. I'm with Sean, I LOVE the drums softly rolling around the rears. Elegant IMO. In fact, I think I'll listen to it right now as I have a nice Amber Bock and all will be good. :)

Back