Rush - "Presto" & "Roll The Bones" Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that Rush should carry on without Neil, but one thing I would love to see is a tribute concert for Neil with Geddy, Alex, and all of the great drummers that were influenced by Neil. Doing classic Rush songs with a different drummer on each song. Capture the video in 4K (or 8K) and get Steven Wilson to do an Atmos mix of the performance.
I think they should form a supergroup in the vein of CSNY to play new music: “Lee, Lifeson, Copeland and Vedder”.

Spread the word.

They should do whatever they want. They've earned it. We can choose to embrace or reject it. The same choice we've always had.
I know I've rejected some bands that have lost key members, Yes, Skynyrd, Queen, Eagles, as examples (and a ton of other bands). I've had little to no interest in following anything they've done since they've lost key members.
I don't know what I'd do with Rush. I saw them more times than any other band (20+), by far, so in some ways I feel closer to them. It would be like seeing old friends. I'd prefer they not come back as a perennial circus coming to town, like a lot of other bands. If they do something new, I wish they would do so under a different name (even if it were something like Rush Lite since they now dabble in beer) LOL

They were certainly involved in the creation and production of these bloated boxed-sets. They could have said no thanks!
They participated, but WMG was going to release it whether they liked it or not. So, no, they couldn't have said "no thanks". They do not control their library up until Presto. This is directly from Geddy. Not sure where you're getting your information.

They participated, but WMG was going to release it whether they liked it or not. So, no, they couldn't have said "no thanks". They do not control their library up until Presto. This is directly from Geddy. Not sure where you're getting your information.
What I meant was, they could have said "no" to their participation in these releases...

What I meant was, they could have said "no" to their participation in these releases...
Oh, sorry for the confusion. Yes, you are correct. Geddy had said that they didn't have any control over such releases, but if the record company was going to do so, then they wanted to make it the best they can for the fans. Well, $300 for that Signals set isn't what I would call best for the fans.

I think "Face Up" and "You Bet Your Life" are two of the worst songs they have ever recorded.
Appreciate the honest take, but can’t agree with you on “Face Up”. Some great work on that song, especially the drumming throughout and perhaps Alex’s best short guitar solo in the entire Rush catalog (2:30-2:44, with a monster swoop effect at 2:37 - so big, so original). Plus the lyrics are not bad at all. “If I could only reach that dial inside / And turn it up” - classic Rush motivational individualism at its best.

There’s been a lot of other tracks worth picking on in their late catalog, but not this one IMHO. And don’t even turn on “The Big Wheel” (not that you did). But such a super underrated gem from that album!

Appreciate the honest take, but can’t agree with you on “Face Up”. Some great work on that song, especially the drumming throughout and perhaps Alex’s best short guitar solo in the entire Rush catalog (2:30-2:44, with a monster swoop effect at 2:37 - so big, so original). Plus the lyrics are not bad at all. “If I could only reach that dial inside / And turn it up” - classic Rush motivational individualism at its best.

There’s been a lot of other tracks worth picking on in their late catalog, but not this one IMHO. And don’t even turn on “The Big Wheel” (not that you did). But such a super underrated gem from that album!
Face Up and The Big Wheel both make my personal EP playlist of Roll the Bones.
I bet they'll especially kick-ass if @Stephen W Tayler is ever greenlit to remix them!
Given Geddy's assessment of the final sound of Presto and RtB, in his book, I suspect he might be agreeable to a remix!

Given Geddy's assessment of the final sound of Presto and RtB, in his book, I suspect he might be agreeable to a remix!
Wow, I had not heard his assessment.
I feel a little vindicated. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, those are the only two Rush albums I have a hard time with. I’d love a remix.

'Superconductor' from Presto is my least favorite Rush song of all time, and I'm a huge Rush fan.
When I got Presto, it was certainly my least favorite song on the album. But, I did think it was clever to play in 7 and then switch to 4 during the chorus with a line like "a strong and simple beat that you can dance to".

When I got Presto, it was certainly my least favorite song on the album. But, I did think it was clever to play in 7 and then switch to 4 during the chorus with a line like "a strong and simple beat that you can dance to".
That song always seemed like it was "phoned in" to me. There was just no wind to fill the sail.

Music: Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson
Lyrics: Neil Peart

packaged like a rebel or a hero
target mass appeal
to make an audience feel
he really means it

package the illusion of persona
careful to conceal
the fact that she’s only too real
she’s got to screen it

hit you in a soft place
a melody so sweet
a strong and simple beat
that you can dance to

Watch his every move
SUPERCONDUCTOR
Orchestrate illusions
SUPERCONDUCTOR
Watch his every move
SUPERCONDUCTOR
Hoping you’ll believe
Designing to deceive
That’s entertainment

he can put a target on the market
bask in your applause
reality withdraws
now he believes it

the role becomes the actor
she’s addicted to applause
the stage a world because
she never leaves it

hit you in a soft place
with sentimental ease
they know the fantasies
that you romance to

Watch her every move
SUPERCONDUCTOR
She can manipulate reactions
SUPERCONDUCTOR
Watch her every move
SUPERCONDUCTOR
Pin the donkeys on her tail
Fantasy for sale
That’s entertainment.

That song always seemed like it was "phoned in" to me. There was just no wind to fill the sail.
Make no mistake, I don't love the song to this day. I would have to say it is still my least favorite song on the album. But, as a budding drummer learning about time signatures, I thought is was kind of cool.

I might add that on the Roll The Bones Tour, when they brought Xanadu back to the setlist, I was so stoked. I recorded the show and can be heard yelling my appreciation. But, then they went from that song right into Superconductor. Boy was the air let out of my balloon.

The worst song from Rush is a million times better than many other band's best.

Superconductor! Superconductor!

That's entertainment!!! :love:

616346984funny-dance-move-6.gif

Make no mistake, I don't love the song to this day. I would have to say it is still my least favorite song on the album. But, as a budding drummer learning about time signatures, I thought is was kind of cool.

I might add that on the Roll The Bones Tour, when they brought Xanadu back to the setlist, I was so stoked. I recorded the show and can be heard yelling my appreciation. But, then they went from that song right into Superconductor. Boy was the air let out of my balloon.

Last edited:
Back