Rush: Snakes and Arrows rumour!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehe, you're right... It's just that I'm so much pessimistic about this DVD-Album being a DVD-A, that I assumed this was a mistake. Maybe not after all. I would be... terrific. Can't wait to have the full specs !!!

Update : it looks like it is really a DVD-A... here is what Amazon.com lists for Snakes & Arrows (Limited Edition MVI DVD) :

Don't go by Amazon. They're pretty dopey.

Going by Warner's press release last year concerning their dvd album concept, from a marketing point of view a dvd album that contains hi-res tracks is still a dvd album.......it just happens to contain an additional set of audio tracks that a certain group of audio nerds :) like to listen to. Maybe I read Advertising Age magazine too much, :D but this seemingly trivial play on words can make a big difference out in the marketplace.

CDUniverse pre-order $15.69. Release date June 5 now. They're putting it down as DVD-A, but we all know what that's worth. Just the same I put in my order as when I don't pre-order the prices seem to go up.

Just when you thought you knew that Rush - Snakes & Arrows would be a "DVD album", we now learn this in email from Rush website today:

"In addition to SNAKES & ARROWS, RUSH is also releasing a MVI on June 5. MVI is a cutting-edge format that features 5.1 surround sound, interactive content and higher storage capacity. The SNAKES & ARROWS MVI contains more than 40 minutes of never-before seen footage of Geddy, Alex and Neil in the studio, and offers fans a first look at some of rock music's greatest innovators."

Then I found this explanation:

Amazon.com included this:
"What Is MVI? With a higher storage capacity than a standard CD, the Music Video Interactive Disc (MVI) contains new interactive features including, superior sound quality, a wide range of video features, and interactive digital content. MVI discs play in all standard DVD players, computers, and game consoles with DVD drives but do not play in conventional CD players. Digital music files are compatible with all MP3 devices."

Indiana Jones: "I got a bad feeling about this...." superior sound quality?

According to a news posting on Rush's web site on May 4, this new MVI/DVD Album will have a 96 kHz/24-bit stereo mix. It still has not enlightened us as to whether it will have a high resolution surround mix.

If I had to guess, I'll bet it's a regular DVD (since those can contain a 96/24 digital PCM track), and the surround will be Dolby Digital 5.1.

EDIT: Amazon used to have it listed as a DVD-A, but they recently removed that information.

-HM

Last edited:
It just seems like it'll be similar to the Porcupine Tree DVD that came in the 2-disc set (24-bit stereo and a DTS surround track). Only it'll also have mp3 files, a documentary, and some other silliness.

-HM

CDUniverse pre-order $15.69. Release date June 5 now. They're putting it down as DVD-A, but we all know what that's worth. Just the same I put in my order as when I don't pre-order the prices seem to go up.

I think they moved it back about a week or so. But, the purpose of my post is to share good feeling towards a retailer - they deserve credit when things go right, even if it sometimes seems rare. I decided to pick up a few more DVD-As at CDUniverse the other day. When I went to check out they asked if I'd like to combine orders to save postage. Seeing as the Rush pre-order was now a few dollars more I wasn't sure but decided to do it. They kept my original pre-order price and then the next day said they'd shipped the other items without waiting for the Rush disc or increasing my shipping charges. Nice.

I've heard some of the new Rush disc and a few of the tracks are outstanding. Hopefully the rest of the disc will grow on me and the mix will excite.

Actually, according to the MVI link on the Rush Snakes and Arrows page, the mvi version of the album will include a 5.1 mix.

Yes, but it's unclear what the resolution of the 5.1 will be. Unless it's a true DVD-A, which seems doubtful, it will probably be Dolby Digital.

-HM

Nothing to be sorry for. Who should be sorry is Warner, for not making clear exactly what this disc is. But it sure sounds like it's simply a plain ol 'DVD.

There are some screens of the Rush menus here:

http://www.mvimusic.com/

-HM

Just received the new Rush MVI from CD Universe and gave it a quick scan. I got a rush (sorry) when I saw the advanced resolution emblem on the back of the box but my enthusiasm was diminished when I discovered the only audio options were DD 5.1 and linear PCM stereo, which they call high resolution. Not even DTS. Bummer. Well, at least it is 5.1. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Just received the new Rush MVI from CD Universe and gave it a quick scan. I got a rush (sorry) when I saw the advanced resolution emblem on the back of the box but my enthusiasm was diminished when I discovered the only audio options were DD 5.1 and linear PCM stereo, which they call high resolution. Not even DTS. Bummer. Well, at least it is 5.1. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Thanks for the news anyway. It's unbelievable we had to wait that someone actually purchased it to know at last what kind of audio formats are on this.

Can you precise the specs of the stereo PCM tracks ? Thanks !

Thanks for the news anyway. It's unbelievable we had to wait that someone actually purchased it to know at last what kind of audio formats are on this.

Can you precise the specs of the stereo PCM tracks ? Thanks !

Actually, it's not that unbelievable: if they don't announce it we all get curious and are tempted to buy it no matter what the specs. Of course, with the internet word gets out quick:)

Back