Rush: Snakes and Arrows rumour!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish they had released this thing as a true DVD-Audio so we could get a lossless high resolution 5.1 mix, but what can you do.
-HM

I'll tell you what you can do; go to Becausesoundmatters.com and add your voice to the threads that Rush DD MVI is mentioned.

My contention is that if BSM says it's expensive to commission 5.1 mixes, then by gosh they can take these half-assed presentations and punch out true 5.1 DVD-A discs! :cool:

I'll tell you what you can do; go to Becausesoundmatters.com and add your voice to the threads that Rush DD MVI is mentioned.:

What, yet another forum for me to register and add my opinions to? :)

Actually, if they simply stopped mastering everything so loud, that would make me happy. But this is the wrong place for me to be complaining about that...

-HM

Yeah, I only got to look at it briefly before work, and realized afterwards it was the label's record store.

Don't even get me started on this whole "MVI" nonsense instead of a DVD-A. It's not an "MVI" - it's a DVD! Marketing silliness drives me crazy.

The Rush fans over at The Rush Forum are all talking about how awesome the surround mix is, but I'm prone to believe it isn't all that. We all know it isn't as good as it could, and should, be.

-HM

Yeah, I only got to look at it briefly before work, and realized afterwards it was the label's record store.

Don't even get me started on this whole "MVI" nonsense instead of a DVD-A. It's not an "MVI" - it's a DVD! Marketing silliness drives me crazy.

The Rush fans over at The Rush Forum are all talking about how awesome the surround mix is, but I'm prone to believe it isn't all that. We all know it isn't as good as it could, and should, be.

-HM

I don't mind the actual MIX, but the sound is another issue. You can hear the lovely Dolby Digital artifacts. Lots of watery cymbals and some grating high end at times. Mastering could be the issue, as the Dream Theater Dolby mix isn't as offensive. The actual mix is pretty cool, especially The Main Monkey Business. Fantastic song in surround! I think it's discrete but maybe a tad too subtle. Still enjoyable enough. Neil's drums gain the most in 5.1. They sound pretty monstrous.

I'm still waiting on mine from Amazon, but I did see that someone on the Steve Hoffman forums said it wouldn't play on his Pioneer DV-563A. Anyone else come across this? It would really put the cap on this whole discussion if I can't even play the disc.

-HM

I'm still waiting on mine from Amazon, but I did see that someone on the Steve Hoffman forums said it wouldn't play on his Pioneer DV-563A. Anyone else come across this? It would really put the cap on this whole discussion if I can't even play the disc.

-HM

I am listening to it right now on my 563 and it plays fine. And what a great album this is!! One song after another is totally excellent dudes!!! Dolby Digital aside (which should have been at least DTS if not DVD-A) this thing rocks! As a matter of fact I think this just might be my fave Rush album since 2112.

After listening to this disc now all the way through (and ripping the DD5.1 to my harddrive to make a disc for the car) two things come to mind.

1) This disc, or at least the 5.1, is really limited and compressed. Not as bad as Vapor Trails was maximized but this suffers from that as well.

2) Because of the limiting I can hear a overmodulated type of distortion though the wavs themselves are not overly loud.

Notice that all the channels play at about the same volume. Those levels almost never change once the songs start.

This disc sounds like it has the same drop out problem as Dream Theater is the DD 5.1 is ripped and split into wavs. Though nowhere near as bad as DT.

Attachments

• SP32-2884.jpg
    SP32-2884.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 102
I am listening to it right now on my 563 and it plays fine.

Thanks for the reassurance. I should get mine tomorrow or Saturday. I never know why I pay for shipping with Amazon, since it never seems to take any less time than the free shipping.

-HM

It seems that the DT disc has a setting that compensates the volume of the left and right channels when the center comes in. If your player is set correctly you wont notice butwhen I ripped the ac3 file to create a DVD-A disc for the car it was really noticeable. Anytime the center channel played it sounded like an automatic level control gone berserk. Once I played it on my DVD player the problem went away.

Long story short... I thought I heard a bit of the same thing when I ripped the Rush disc to my harddrive. I think I may have been mistaken though on further listening. I do still hear a bit of distortion.

Is anyone else who pre-ordered this from the Rush website experiencing a longer-than-expected wait? I received an email stating that it shipped on June 22 and it still isn't here. Anyone else?

Paul

Hey man,

I joined the Rush forum the other day and there were a lot of posts about delays........

Gonna grab one at Best Buy as the curiosity is getting to me...

I got my MVI today. Great stuff, BUT, they cut the cymbal fade on the 96/24 version of "We Hold On" (at the very end of the song). The fade is fine on the 5.1 mix and the CD version.

Idiots.

-HM

Is anyone else who pre-ordered this from the Rush website experiencing a longer-than-expected wait? I received an email stating that it shipped on June 22 and it still isn't here. Anyone else?

Paul

I ordered from DeepDiscount.com and they finally shipped yesterday, with an expected arrival date of July 8-13. I assumed the MVI would be hard to find at a brick and mortar. Wrong......should have just gone to Best Buy.

I'm bummed that there is no high resolution audio. They could have at the very least given us a DTS track. :(

Dennis

I'm bummed that there is no high resolution audio.

The 96/24 stereo mix is on there, but I admit that I really can't tell the difference between it and my regular CD. I could force myself to believe it's slightly warmer, but I think it's psychological, heh.

-HM

The 96/24 stereo mix is on there, but I admit that I really can't tell the difference between it and my regular CD. I could force myself to believe it's slightly warmer, but I think it's psychological, heh.

-HM

That's what I concluded too. There is some compression, but it's the same on the redbook and the 96/24. Still, you might as well buy the MVI over the cd so that you get the (extremely) lossy DD track. Maybe there's some video or something too, I never bother checking the extras.

-HM

Yeah, at least that is something. I guess I meant to say high resolution multichannel.

Back