Silverline's best by far.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryW

Man, what a tremendous disc! I am talking about the new release by Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band "XXL". Not only is it Silverline's best release to date, it definitely ranks in the top 3 of my all time favorite dvd-a's. Sonics are phenomenal, the mix is totally immersive, and the music really cooks. To top it off, this disc has the best extras I have seen yet. You get a commentary by Gordon Goodwin, a couple of videos; one is a multi-angle (you can control) video of a song and the other is a behind the scene video with little extras (ala follow the white rabbit from the Matrix dvd). Both videos come with excellent 5.1 sound.
Another cool extra is a "Make Your Own Mix" feature where you can, well make your own mix for a few different songs. The cool part of this feature is that you can solo different instruments so you could hear only the drums of one song, etc. Very cool, very fun. I am a big fan of "Swinging for the Fences" Gordon's previous release, but if it had been released after this one I would have been very disapointed with it. They really progressed with the technology and really nailed it with this release. I can't say enough about it. If you like big band, BUY IT NOW, if you can't stand big band, still, BUY IT NOW. Non-fans of this type of music will still find enough fun stuff and great sonics on this disc to make it a worthwhile purchase.

If Silverline keeps releasing stuff of this caliber, they will soon become my favorite label. Go figure.

Last edited:
GaryW said:
.........If Silverline keeps releasing stuff of this caliber, they will soon become my favorite label. Go figure.

:yikes :yikes

Let's not get too cariied away! :D

Great review, though, and it's good enough of a write up to get me to try this one out.

Good news if they are getting "up to speed", but they have a lot of sour taste to dislodge, and one cherry Lifesaver is only a start!

GaryW said:
If you like big band, BUY IT NOW, if you can't stand big band, still, BUY IT NOW.

I looked for this at BB last week when it was released and could not find it. If I had found it, I would probably also be gushing along with you. Maybe they will get it in today. They have everything else Silverline has ever released.

Gary,

Does the submersive mix require you listen underwater ;)

Seriously, you're the 3rd person to tell me it's a great disc, and I'm still waiting on my copy to be delivered :(

Thanks for the heads up, as I've said before Silverline does deliver gems from time to time along with their typical "costume jewelry".

Regards,

John Kotches said:
Does the submersive mix require you listen underwater ;)

Well you don't HAVE to listen underwater, but it helps! :sun

:eek: Man, I have got to start proof-reading my posts. My mind was thinking immersive, but my fingers had minds of their own. Going to go and edit my post so people won't know what the heck we're talking about.

But no kidding, I would regard the disc as a must-buy.

My goodness. A Silverline disk worth owning as something other than a beer mat / coaster (was that libellous btw? I do believe it was. Ah well. The truth not infrequently sounds that way)? Wonders will never cease.
Scott

Interesting that Silverline will be releasing what I consider real surround product with The Mavericks and Living Colour's new Collidescope. We'll have to develop a new label for this output! ;)

Back