Simple Minds - "New Gold Dream" Super Deluxe Edition Coming this Summer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Blu-Ray audio copy of "New Gold Dream" arrived today from Burning Shed.
I have not listened to it yet, but I did audition the disc briefly tonight, and I do have a few minor nitpicks.
So, ok, lossless high-res audio is lossless high-res audio, and I'm glad we had that option this time as opposed to just DVD-V like we have for so many other releases, but this Blu-Ray disc could have been authored better.
Being on this forum and collecting as many DVD and Blu-Ray discs with surround as I have collected has made me realize that no one authors more surround-friendly discs than Neil Wilkes does.
Take for example all of his Blu-Ray discs authored since the start of 2014.
When pressing enter (or 'play', same thing basically) his discs default to the DTS-HD MA 5.1 stream by default, and you can use the colored buttons to switch to other streams in real time and even switch to other audio playlists. Plus the disc contents are usually laid out on the left side of screen for more easy navigation around the disc.

Ray Shulman on the other hand authors Blu-Ray discs like he authors audio-only DVD-V discs. For starters, this Blu-Ray (like many others he has authored) defaults to the LPCM stereo stream when hitting 'play' (or enter), which is silly because unlike DVD-V, all Blu-Ray players can at least output the core DTS stream, so that should be the default when the disc begins playing. There's no colored button options, and if you want the disc to play with one of the 5.1 streams from the start, you have to select it from the menu before the playlist beings playing.

Also, as Rob (Failed Muso) brought up, Universal really does need to get their shite together when it comes to labeling. The outside of the Blu-Ray disc package is labeled correctly as it shows DTS-HD MA 5.1 and LPCM 2.0 & 5.1 as the audio options (which is correct), but then while those same icons are listed on the actual disc itself, the disc also says "DTS 5.1 Mix Surround Mix, High Res Stereo Mix, and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Mix" WTF?! Dolby is nowhere to be found on the actual audio contents of the disc itself, so labeling things like that is only going to confuse the average user even more who doesn't know this stuff backwards and forwards like we do.

But all that aside, I'm glad to finally own a copy of this album in surround sound, and I look forward to playing it and giving my thoughts on it tomorrow! :)

Last edited:
My Blu-Ray audio copy of "New Gold Dream" arrived today from Burning Shed.
I have not listened to it yet, but I did audition the disc briefly tonight, and I do have a few minor nitpicks.
So, ok, lossless high-res audio is lossless high-res audio, and I'm glad we had that option this time as opposed to just DVD-V like we have for so many other releases, but this Blu-Ray disc could have been authored better.
Being on this forum and collecting as many DVD and Blu-Ray discs with surround as I have collected has made me realize that no one authors more surround-friendly discs than Neil Wilkes does.
Take for example all of his Blu-Ray discs authored since the start of 2014.
When pressing enter (or 'play', same thing basically) his discs default to the DTS-HD MA 5.1 stream by default, and you can use the colored buttons to switch to other streams in real time and even switch to other audio playlists. Plus the disc contents are usually laid out on the left side of screen for more easy navigation around the disc.

Ray Shulman authors Blu-Ray discs like he authors audio-only DVD-V discs. For starters, this Blu-Ray (like many others he has authored) defaults to the LPCM stereo stream when hitting 'play' (or enter), which is silly because unlike DVD-V, all Blu-Ray players can at least output the core DTS stream, so that should be the default when the disc begins playing. There's no colored button options, and if you want the disc to play with one of the 5.1 streams from the start, you have to select it from the menu before the playlist beings playing.

Also, as Rob (Failed Muso) brought up, Universal really does need to get their shite together when it comes to labeling. The outside of the Blu-Ray disc package is labeled correctly as it shows DTS-HD MA 5.1 and LPCM 2.0 & 5.1 as the audio options (which is correct), but then while those same icons are listed on the actual disc itself, the disc also says "DTS 5.1 Mix Surround Mix, High Res Stereo Mix, and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Mix" WTF?! Dolby is nowhere to be found on the actual audio contents of the disc itself, so labeling things like that is only going to confuse the average user even more who doesn't know this stuff backwards and forwards like we do.

But all that aside, I'm glad to finally own a copy of this album in surround sound, and I look forward to playing it and giving my thoughts on it tomorrow! :)

Yup, someone truly dropped the ball on this project. Mislabelling and poor authoring should be things of the past, especially as Universal have done some pretty good jobs with this box sets in the past. Cost cutting? Lack of availability? I guess we'll never truly know. I'm still debating whether to get the Blu Ray. Do you own the box set and if so, how do the two compare sonically, particularly the DTS96/24 vs the DTS-HD MA version?

Yup, someone truly dropped the ball on this project. Mislabelling and poor authoring should be things of the past, especially as Universal have done some pretty good jobs with this box sets in the past. Cost cutting? Lack of availability? I guess we'll never truly know. I'm still debating whether to get the Blu Ray. Do you own the box set and if so, how do the two compare sonically, particularly the DTS96/24 vs the DTS-HD MA version?

I don't own the box set, so I cannot comment on how the Blu-Ray sounds compared to the new DVD-V disc, but hopefully someone that does have both can chime in at some point.
Another small nitpick. I understand that the original premise for these High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-Ray discs from Universal was to present "Ultra High Quality Audio, with no Video Content" to the consumer, but they broke that rule once or twice before, so it would have been nice to have those videos from the box's DVD included on the Blu-Ray too as there certainly was space for them.

I didn't feel the need to order the Blu-ray since I already have both the sacd and the dvd-a. I'll be interested to hear the results when there's the inevitable shoot-out between the dvd-a and the Blu-ray audio. I have a feeling the dvd-a will come out on top for some reason. For that matter, it will be interesting to hear how the sacd stacks up against the new masterings of the album. I did order the box set though, and to save $11 I switched my preorder from Amazon UK to Deep Discount Dvd. Needless to say I haven't got mine yet. I don't mind waiting a n extra week or two to save some coin, but has anyone else that preordered from DDD heard anything about when they will be shipping?

I didn't feel the need to order the Blu-ray since I already have both the sacd and the dvd-a. I'll be interested to hear the results when there's the inevitable shoot-out between the dvd-a and the Blu-ray audio. I have a feeling the dvd-a will come out on top for some reason. For that matter, it will be interesting to hear how the sacd stacks up against the new masterings of the album. I did order the box set though, and to save $11 I switched my preorder from Amazon UK to Deep Discount Dvd. Needless to say I haven't got mine yet. I don't mind waiting a n extra week or two to save some coin, but has anyone else that preordered from DDD heard anything about when they will be shipping?

It is not released until 8/5 tomorrow...so you should be hearing something soon. Snood got it toooooo from DD :banana:

It is not released until 8/5 tomorrow...so you should be hearing something soon. Snood got it toooooo from DD :banana:

I see a charge from DD pending on my card this morning so it appears they are indeed shipping them out today.

My super deluxe box arrived today. So far I'm enjoying the DVD-V 5.1 DTS mix.
This is one of the few 80s pop albums that still retain quality. I'll digest the CDs over the next few weeks.
The box is very nice, came in a protective outer box with the usual crap Amazon uk packaging.
The vocals are probably a bit loud but overall I'm enjoying.

I'd love to get Japan (another good 80s band) in surround. Steven Wilson knows those guys well so you never know!

I'd love to get Japan (another good 80s band) in surround. Steven Wilson knows those guys well so you never know!

I think Richard Barbieri was associated with Porcupine Tree way longer than Japan was even in existence.

I think Richard Barbieri was associated with Porcupine Tree way longer than Japan was even in existence.

Richard Barbieri was a member of both Japan and Rain Tree Crow (Japan in the early 90s without Rob Dean), but here's another fun fact for ya!
Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness (as no-man) recruited Richard Barbieri, Mick Karn, and Steve Jansen to tour the UK with them after Rain Tree Crow dissolved, so there definitely is more than one connection between the band and Steven Wilson.

:)

Just got the blu-ray of this and just finished my first listen. Other than "Promised You a Miracle" I had never heard any of the music on this album before. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to this band. (Back in the day I did have a copy of Once Upon a Time and saw them on that tour, but other than that, I never knew much about the band.) I like the songs a lot more than those on Sparkle in the Rain which, despite a nice mix from Mr. Wilson, had left me somewhat cold. I think the mix here is tastefully done. Other than the two songs where the multis were missing, there's enough happening in the rears to keep me happy. It's not overly aggressive, however there is a decent amount of synth stuff in the rear channels that works quite well. Overall, I'm very happy with this one. Need to give it a few more listens, but then again, I still have several discs of Quadio that I haven't listened to yet! Not enough hours in the day!

I am a big Simple Minds fan and I received my new box set from the UK yesterday. Listened to three RBCD discs before the 5.1. What a snoozer. If you love hearing the same thing over and over and over again then this box set is your thing, not mine. I listened to the DTS 5.1 mix and very good, but not near the best I have heard.
The 2014 RBCD and DVD Simple Minds, Big Music, is absolutely fantastic. Get that instead.

I am a big Simple Minds fan and I received my new box set from the UK yesterday. Listened to three RBCD discs before the 5.1. What a snoozer. If you love hearing the same thing over and over and over again then this box set is your thing, not mine. I listened to the DTS 5.1 mix and very good, but not near the best I have heard.
The 2014 RBCD and DVD Simple Minds, Big Music, is absolutely fantastic. Get that instead.

For me, Mark, The DTS Entertainment MLP DVD~A 5.1 of New Gold Dream IS definitive. Sorry, but I'm tired of boxsets full of RBCDs which should've been left on the cutting room floor for a reason and LOSSY DTS 5.1.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516lJNj7GXL._SY300_.jpg

Well thank goodness there's lots of other ordering options that do have it in stock, even if it is slightly more expensive.
Ordering the Blu-Ray disc from any store is still better than the box set or the 2005 DVD-A/V.

:)

I agree. The OOP DVD~A is fetching $300 + s/h @ AmazonUS. Ridiculous!

Unfortunately, still a snoozer in any format. It will never be the disc you pull out for your friends. I have what I have and I am moving on, maybe to some Prestige jazz greats from AP.

Back