Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time I heard Mike Stern play was on this album from 1981- and he goes off
FAT TIME
I swear at one point the hairs on my arm swayed back and forth like the trees at Tunguska!
Stern's guitar mostly in the rears and Miles up front with Marcus Miller slappin' bass.
https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-The-Man-With-The-Horn/release/11520536
MD-TMWTH.JPG

Must be Jazz night-
It had been a while since I've listened to this one, but it shocked me how great it decoded to surround.
Produced by Bobby Colomby; yes that Bobby Colomby!
Musicians like Don Alias on percussion; Herbie Hancock-keyboards; Wayne Shorter- Sax; Brecker Brothers, David Sanborn... well you get the idea!

It has one of my all time favorite tunes on it called "Okonkole Y Trompa"-
Close your eyes and you're transported to an African savanna riding along side Gazelles as they bob, weave and jump in the air ...

https://www.discogs.com/Jaco-Pastorius-Jaco-Pastorius/release/399630
JACO.JPG

Must be Jazz night-
It had been a while since I've listened to this one, but it shocked me how great it decoded to surround.
Produced by Bobby Colomby; yes that Bobby Colomby!
Musicians like Don Alias on percussion; Herbie Hancock-keyboards; Wayne Shorter- Sax; Brecker Brothers, David Sanborn... well you get the idea!

It has one of my all time favorite tunes on it called "Okonkole Y Trompa"-
Close your eyes and you're transported to an African savanna riding along side Gazelles as they bob, weave and jump in the air ...

https://www.discogs.com/Jaco-Pastorius-Jaco-Pastorius/release/399630
View attachment 42472

Great album, Pupsta ... also available as a Stereo SACD http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/ESGA-501?s_ssid=e467e05d50eb32ed06

Has YOUR name written all over it, JP: Jaco Puptorius 🐶

See the source image

JOHN FRANCIS ANTHONY "JACO" PASTORIUS III

Last edited:
Looks good Ralphie, if only Tower ECM had released this; those SACDs have gorgeous mastering.

The only problem with the TOWER ECM SACDs is they're only available by proxy at a premium price from CDJapan or $60 from Acoustic Sounds. I'm sure our friend Brett [lute] who lives in Tokyo can probably buy them for half that price or less on sale.

Maybe I need to start a new thread " stuff that might sound great on the SM"

Well you guys might know I am an old swamp rocker (plus blues, rock a billy and roots), yep I am a simple fellow. My number 1 favorite group of all time is CCR and to me for 50 years the holly grail has been the elusive live CCR at Woodstock. Well its been tracked down as a good quality recording and just released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now the proud owner of this CD and with it comes the keys to the universe and ultimate power and knowledge. CCR was the first group to sign for Woodstock but the drugged out hippy organizers really stuffed it up. They were scheduled to come on at 9.30 pm but the Grateful Dead came on and stuffed around in a dis-coordinated jumble until 2.30 at night, so CCR had to come on when the audience was sleeping. Fogerty and band did a good performance but Fogerty was so pissed off that he did not want to release it to the movie. Only recently his son convinced him it was actually a good performance and it should be released to the public:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...ce-clearwater-revival-woodstock-grateful-dead

Some time tomorrow, I am going to put it on my SM V1 (I have not got a V2 yet!) and give this a run on my 4 Nakamichi Dragon electrostatics................YEE HOO!!!

IMG_CCR.jpg

I AM SO EXCITED, OFF TO THE SWAMP FOR ME

Oh here is the track list, including the greatest rock and roll song of all time - I put a spell on you..................................LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. "Born on the Bayou" – 5:34
  2. "Green River" – 3:16
  3. "Ninety-Nine and a Half (Won’t Do)" (Steve Cropper, Eddie Floyd, Wilson Pickett) – 4:46
  4. "Bootleg" – 3:38
  5. "Commotion" – 2:48
  6. "Bad Moon Rising" – 2:13
  7. "Proud Mary" – 3:52
  8. "I Put a Spell on You" (Jay Hawkins and Herb Slotkin) – 4:28
  9. "The Night Time Is the Right Time" (Lew Herman) – 3:30
  10. "Keep on Chooglin’" – 10:29
  11. "Suzie Q" (Eleanor Broadwater, Robert Chaisson, Dale Hawkins, and Stan Lewis) – 10:52

Last edited:
Oh here is the track list, including the greatest rock and roll song of all time - I put a spell on you..................................LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. "Born on the Bayou" – 5:34
  2. "Green River" – 3:16
  3. "Ninety-Nine and a Half (Won’t Do)" (Steve Cropper, Eddie Floyd, Wilson Pickett) – 4:46
  4. "Bootleg" – 3:38
  5. "Commotion" – 2:48
  6. "Bad Moon Rising" – 2:13
  7. "Proud Mary" – 3:52
  8. "I Put a Spell on You" (Jay Hawkins and Herb Slotkin) – 4:28
  9. "The Night Time Is the Right Time" (Lew Herman) – 3:30
  10. "Keep on Chooglin’" – 10:29
  11. "Suzie Q" (Eleanor Broadwater, Robert Chaisson, Dale Hawkins, and Stan Lewis) – 10:52
Damn those are some great tunes! And to think they did all those classics as early as '69. Looking forward to a full report. You're goona enjoy this weekend.

I saw CCR only once live. Back in '69 or more likely '70. One night was Steve Miller Blues Band & next night CCR. Playing for free at University of Missouri, Kansas City. Now you'ver got me lusting after the new CD.

My number 1 favorite group of all time is CCR and to me for 50 years the holly grail has been the elusive live CCR at Woodstock.

Even if CCR just did covers they'd still be great! Possibly one of the best cover bands ever for this style of music...and on top of that an A-list act with their own material. My mother loved these guys. Time to track down a few more of those SACD's.

There is this SACD multi out:
https://www.discogs.com/Creedence-C...hronicle-The-20-Greatest-Hits/release/6949370
But it ain't that good on the multi side but with the SM2 it might come alive...Did I say Might!!?

Sorry Beerking, I just refuse to get a CCR "best of" as 5 of their 7 albums were perfect and in fact best of's.

eg
Self titled CCR
  1. "Call It Pretending" – 2:10
    • Track 1 was originally released, with Porterville, as the B-side of the final Golliwogs single, later rereleased under the CCR name
  2. "I Put a Spell on You" – 4:32
  3. "The Working Man" – 3:05
  4. "Susie Q" – 8:39
  5. "Ninety-Nine and a Half (Won't Do)" – 3:40
  6. "Get Down Woman" – 3:09
  7. "Porterville" – 2:23
  8. "Gloomy" – 3:50
  9. "Walk on the Water" – 4:40

BAYOU COUNTRY
  1. "Born on the Bayou" – 5:15
  2. "Bootleg" – 3:02
  3. "Graveyard Train" – 8:38
  4. "Good Golly Miss Molly" – 2:43
  5. "Penthouse Pauper" – 3:40
  6. "Proud Mary" – 3:09
  7. "Keep on Chooglin'" – 7:39

GREEN RIVER
  1. "Green River" – 2:36
  2. "Commotion" – 2:45
  3. "Tombstone Shadow" – 3:40
  4. "Wrote a Song for Everyone" – 4:59
  5. "Bad Moon Rising" – 2:23
  6. "Lodi" – 3:12
  7. "Cross-Tie Walker" – 3:20
  8. "Sinister Purpose" – 3:22
  9. "The Night Time Is the Right Time" – 3:10

WILLY AND THE POOR BOYS
  1. "Down on the Corner" – 2:47
  2. "It Came Out of the Sky" – 2:56
  3. "Cotton Fields" – 2:54
  4. "Poorboy Shuffle" – 2:27
  5. "Feelin' Blue" – 5:06
  6. "Fortunate Son" – 2:21
  7. "Don't Look Now (It Ain't You or Me)" – 2:12
  8. "The Midnight Special" – 4:14
  9. "Side of the Road" – 3:26
  10. "Effigy" – 6:28

COSMO'S FACTORY
  1. "Ramble Tamble" – 7:12
  2. "Before You Accuse Me" – 3:27
  3. "Travelin' Band" – 2:09
  4. "Ooby Dooby" – 2:07
  5. "Lookin' Out My Back Door" – 2:34
  6. "Run Through the Jungle" – 3:07
  7. "Up Around the Bend" – 2:42
  8. "My Baby Left Me" – 2:19
  9. "Who'll Stop the Rain" – 2:30
  10. "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" – 11:08
  11. "Long as I Can See the Light" – 3:35

PENDULUM
  1. "Pagan Baby" – 6:27
  2. "Sailor's Lament" – 3:50
  3. "Chameleon" – 3:17
  4. "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" – 2:40
  5. "(Wish I Could) Hideaway" – 3:47
  6. "Born to Move" – 5:41
  7. "Hey Tonight" – 2:44
  8. "It's Just a Thought" – 3:51

• "Molina" – 2:43

• "Rude Awakening #2" – 6:23
    • Tracks 1 and 2 are from Pendulum

MARDI GRAS
  • "Lookin' for a Reason" – 3:28
  • "Take It Like a Friend" – 3:02
  • "Need Someone to Hold" – 3:02
  • "Tearin' Up the Country" – 2:16
  • "Someday Never Comes" – 4:04
  • "What Are You Gonna Do" – 2:56
  • "Sail Away" – 2:33
  • "Hello Mary Lou" – 2:18
  • "Door to Door" – 2:11
  • "Sweet Hitch-Hiker" – 3:00

OK Mardi Gras was a bit of a dud but still had some kick arse tracks and some surprises like Need someone to hold - sung by Doug Clifford and tearin up the country again by Doug

Oh, Rude awaking number 2 on Pendulum was ashocker and the biggest mistake CCR ever did- oh well

Back