Supertramp - CRIME OF THE CENTURY - Where is it?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So yes this is probably the best this album will ever sound in a digital format.Can't comment on the vinyl releases.

I can tell you that both of these pressing are excellent, the Blu-ray is very good but the Speakers Corner and the second version of the A&M 1/2 speed have a presents and air to them that are unlike any other version.

crime.jpg

Last edited:
I have the high res Blu-ray 2ch stereo release of Crime of the Century. I enjoy it whenever I want in 4.1/5.1 via the Surround Master. Just sayin' this is as close as you will probably get.
With a little pre-synth, it soars. Bloody well right.
The CD sounds good through the Surround Master too.

Here’s a Martin Sharp poster that one of my mates printed up for a Tiny Tim show he and Martin were promoting

Wow. I was at that night as a young 19 year old. I also went to the Kinsella's concerts a year or two later? Tiny Tim is massively underrated and obviously had high functioning Asperger's. He would hear a song once and commit it to memory. People would ask him to sing random songs trying to trip him up, but very very rarely caught him out.... except strangely U2's I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. He hadn't heard of U2. Lol.

I'd say it's a combination of both.......Always been a fan of the MoFi Gold CDs but do keep in mind the 24k Gold Plating had nothing to do with the sound ....it guaranteed longevity over the standard silver variety but there are limitations with 44.1/16 bit resolution.
Of course it doesn't affect sound. The benefit with MoFi, in theory, is that you're getting a better mastering (YMMV) with lower generational loss than a mass market product. And that mastering has far more to do with why people covet MFSL releases than anything else, and why they often beat higher resolution mass market products.

Re the Supertramp Pure Audio Blurays
How are they ?
Tempted to buy Crime, even though I have the MoFi Gold
Don’t bother with either.

You are good with the old MFSL CD of Crime. It’s the best digital choice. 24/192 is nice if all other things are equal. But with Crime, they are not equal - and any small advantages you gain with 24/192 on the BD-A are way more than offset by suboptimal mastering. For vinyl, although they don’t sound particularly similar, I prefer an original UK pressing (although the vinyl is often noisy - which is a shame) or the pricey, long out-of-print Speakers Corner. The UK has more of a rock album edge to it; the SC is more “audiophile”.

As for Breakfast, it was not a great recording to begin with, so any mastering is going to be a series of imperfect tradeoffs. IMO, the MFSL SACD is the best balanced digital option. The SHM-SACD is too dull and most other digital versions are too harsh and/or compressed IMO. For vinyl, I prefer the newer MFSL pressing (not the 80s MFSL pressing) as well.

Last edited:
In addition to having the album on blu ray, I've got the album on MFSL vinyl and I used to have the Speakers Corner Records LP as well. Indeed, I had both at the same time. But in the end I sold the SPR one as the MFSL LP just has that special touch of magic about it... a certain je nais se quois, if you will. I think the blu ray and MFSL both sound great, although if I had to choose between vinyl and the blu ray it would have to be the vinyl. Like I say, it has a certain je nais se quois about it that makes it the keeper of all keepers.

In addition to having the album on blu ray, I've got the album on MFSL vinyl and I used to have the Speakers Corner Records LP as well. Indeed, I had both at the same time. But in the end I sold the SPR one as the MFSL LP just has that special touch of magic about it... a certain je nais se quois, if you will. I think the blu ray and MFSL both sound great, although if I had to choose between vinyl and the blu ray it would have to be the vinyl. Like I say, it has a certain je nais se quois about it that makes it the keeper of all keepers.
I have the old MFSL too. If by je nais se qouis, you mean the usual old school MFSL mid dip and high/low boost, yes it does.

I wouldn't presume to know what that je nais se quois is, but whatever it is, it sounds great :)
It means the MFSL has hyped EQ. To each his own if they like it. Some people like it, some don’t. It’s down my list. The vinyl is really quiet though...

If one likes the EQ style MFSL used back in the day more often than not, you may like it. If not - and you like to listen to music fairly loud - you probably won’t like it as much as some others.

Last edited:
It means the MFSL has hyped EQ. To each his own if they like it. Some people like it, some don’t. It’s down my list. The vinyl is really quiet though...

If one likes the EQ style MFSL used back in the day more often than not, you may like it. If not - and you like to listen to music fairly loud - you probably won’t like it as much as some others.

Interestingly, whenever I play the MFSL LP I almost always play it very LOUD and it sounds all the better for it. But as you say, to each their own we each like what we each like. If it's not your preferred choice that's cool :)

Interestingly, whenever I play the MFSL LP I almost always play it very LOUD and it sounds all the better for it. But as you say, to each their own we each like what we each like. If it's not your preferred choice that's cool :)
Ouch.

Next up what gives with NONE of SUPERTRAMP’S albums yet getting a MULTI-CHANNEL release…. Especially CRIME (my fave), EITQM, and BREAKFAST!!

I don’t count greatest hits, generally

Anyone know why?
How about it!
I was just listening to Crime once more and thinking about (if the stems exist) what a wonderful surround mix this has the capability of becoming. I'd just love to hear it and the others. :cry:

Back