ten years after SDE blu-ray back in stock

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received one of these newer pressings and the 5.1 has no center channel or sub. When I wrote to Paul, this is what I got.

Hi Lance,
Different mixers make different decisions when mixing in spatial audio.
There are loads of Atmos and 5.1 mixes which don't use the centre channel, for example.
It's not a defective disc, it's simply a decision the mixer has made.
Your disc is a digital duplicate of the 2,000 that have been sold and we've had no other complaints.
We won't be sending a replacement disc since it will be identical to the one you already have.
Thanks

Paul
Those who received a copy from the first run, do you have a clear center channel and sub?
Thanks

Using track #3 (I'd Love To Change The World) as an example, with regard to the 5.1 DTS HD MA and Dolby Atmos mixes, there's very little centre channel action and no (.1) sub/LFE.

I finally had to turn the volume for sub and center almost all the way up to get sufficient response. The overall sound is compressed and bright on the 5.1 and quad cuts. I don't have Atmos.

I compared the quad section to the SQ album and prefer the vinyl.

I know how much we want these surround discs to keep coming. This is my first SDE disc. Are the others better sounding?

I know how much we want these surround discs to keep coming. This is my first SDE disc. Are the others better sounding?
Wish it would have been a better listen for you! This hobby is extremely finicky...this too was my first SDE disc....received it several days ago and played it yesterday. The original quad mix I thought was fantastic...great mix, and sounded very clean. No issues with vocals / phantom center. I was very impressed. I'm not a TYA fan, but I'm a fan of that quad album now!

5.1 - only got through the first few songs. No issue, but definitely preferred the quad mix with my listening so far.

I don't have Atmos either.

I ordered the Tears for Fears "The Hurting" as my second SDE disc...I haven't been a fan of the band, but I streamed a track or two and it blasted me back to the '80's....I had to order it then!

no center channel or sub
Just an FYI, I had sub and all my subs were in action, generally speaking. Not every track necessarily had enough low frequency (by nature of the song) to trigger the "on" threshold for the subs at lower volumes, but definitely getting sub.

Not sure about center....I typically only listen with phantom...no center speaker.

Well, I've just played ILTCTW from the second edition and there's music in both the centre channel and sub on the 5.1 selection. But, then again, I do have an Oppo 205 and a Parasound Halo P7 preamp. :cool:

On the other hand, I assume (at 63) that my hearing is shot to pieces anyway, so sound from anything at all is a bonus. :p

Last edited:
Well, I've just played ILTCTW from the second edition and there's music in both the centre channel and sub on the 5.1 selection. But, then again, I do have an Oppo 205 and a Parasound Halo P7 preamp. :cool:

On the other hand, I assume (at 63) that my hearing is shot to pieces anyway, so sound from anything at all is a bonus. :p

I have a question …..
The first run was 1000 , does anyone know how many of the second run were pressed ?
if the second run was less Then 1000 , it would be more collectible then the first run.
I bought both , I fell in love with that album from a Tab Patterson conversion.

I have a question …..
The first run was 1000 , does anyone know how many of the second run were pressed ?
if the second run was less Then 1000 , it would be more collectible then the first run.
I bought both , I fell in love with that album from a Tab Patterson conversion.
The second run is 1000 as well, as mentioned in the article in the first post.

Back