'The Beatles' (White Album) [50th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Blu-ray Disc!]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sgt.Pepper boxset is still in the $114~125 ball park so expect to pay MORE for The White Album.

I picked up a second copy of Peppers for $68 new....the deals are there and I didn't mind picking up a second copy since there was no vinyl involved...I get a little gun shy when vinyl is involved in terms of long term storage...

I picked up a second copy of Peppers for $68 new....the deals are there and I didn't mind picking up a second copy since there was no vinyl involved...I get a little gun shy when vinyl is involved in terms of long term storage...

Which supports my theory......if you're willing to wait a year or so the bargains ARE there.

Last edited:
maybe they could throw in a stuffed Martha and a Rocky Raccoon (I know, the song wasnt about an actual Raccoon, but this is merchandising, not history).

Don't forget the piggies! You can't leave out the piggies! Seriously, that was an impressive list of extras you came up with. Perhaps you have experience in marketing, but years of buying expensive box sets has affected you!

(Now you've got me wishing for a glass onion.)

Which supports my theory......if you're willing to wait a year or so the bargains ARE there.

It was 9 months after...but yes...if you are patient...you can get what you want..in most cases.....there are exceptions on some of these sets...the "warehouse" deal has become a great way to get these sets for those that can wait..

Don't forget the piggies! You can't leave out the piggies! Seriously, that was an impressive list of extras you came up with. Perhaps you have experience in marketing, but years of buying expensive box sets has affected you!

(Now you've got me wishing for a glass onion.)
No experience marketing at the corporate level, but I spent years in music retail and sold lots of box sets.

It was 9 months after...but yes...if you are patient...you can get what you want..in most cases.....there are exceptions on some of these sets...the "warehouse" deal has become a great way to get these sets for those that can wait..

Everyone talks about GUN control........well, MOST of us QQers have TRIGGER FINGER on the BUY button paranoia ....... gotta have IT day/date of release......or else.........Most of the big box sets from the Majors are pressed in sufficient quantities and probably will end up as WAREHOUSE DEALS or blow~out sales from Deep Discount, etc. The smaller labels do require QUICK ACTION or else they DO disappear....as do reissued SACDs [LIMITED QUANTITY]!

Buying Pepper 9 months later BRAND NEW, Sealed, for roughly HALF the price MOST of us paid for it [some MORE] was indeed a coup. I played Pepper [the BD~A] TWICE....never even glanced at the book nor played the multiple RBCDs.

Maybe I should take the same approach with The White Album, especially with a super sleuth like you, Clinty, on board...........But then I have to hear how good or bad it sounds ....ad nauseam and naturally have to have it sooner than later....oh well!

Everyone talks about GUN control........well, MOST of us QQers have TRIGGER FINGER on the BUY button paranoia ....... gotta have IT day/date of release......or else.........Most of the big box sets from the Majors are pressed in sufficient quantities and probably will end up as WAREHOUSE DEALS or blow~out sales from Deep Discount, etc. The smaller labels do require QUICK ACTION or else they DO disappear....as do reissued SACDs [LIMITED QUANTITY]!

Buying Pepper 9 months later BRAND NEW, Sealed, for roughly HALF the price MOST of us paid for it [some MORE] was indeed a coup. I played Pepper [the BD~A] TWICE....never even glanced at the book nor played the multiple RBCDs.

Maybe I should take the same approach with The White Album, especially with a super sleuth like you, Clinty, on board...........But then I have to hear how good or bad it sounds ....ad nauseam and naturally have to have it sooner than later....oh well!

That's another advantage of waiting....if it's bad...you dodged a bullet...of course the problem with that course of action is who do you trust....the couple of low ballers on a poll...or the 20 or 30 that liked it...a good example of waiting is the Parsons Eye...buying the standalone is a no brainer now...not only at the price point but from a quality point of view...no risk at all..

That's another advantage of waiting....if it's bad...you dodged a bullet...of course the problem with that course of action is who do you trust....the couple of low ballers on a poll...or the 20 or 30 that liked it...a good example of waiting is the Parsons Eye...buying the standalone is a no brainer now...not only at the price point but from a quality point of view...no risk at all..

Glad I stood my ground on the Eye in the Sky box set. Only a few days before the stand alone BD~A was announced, rt gave up hope and suggested if anyone wanted the BD~A they'd HAVE to spring for the boxset but a little birdie [NOT a comatose iguana] inside my head said NO.....BE PATIENT. And lo and behold, a few vendors have it priced at under $16!

And as far as reviews go, I still take them all with a grain of salt. To this day, the Pepper reviews keep pouring in and I've stood my ground on those, as well. Remember I went from a 10 to an 8......which in my mind is all it deserved.

There is another consideration....some of these box sets are classics...iconic albums...and to be candid...I can't afford to wait on those my friend....tomorrow is promised to no one...and I'm constantly reminded of that...given my recent medical issues...if it's just "good" music...not great....then waiting is OK...but with music like Fleetwood Mac and the Beatles...there will be no waiting... and you can add hi rez Rock to that priority list as well...

There is another consideration....some of these box sets are classics...iconic albums...and to be candid...I can't afford to wait on those my friend....tomorrow is promised to no one...and I'm constantly reminded of that...given my recent medical issues...if it's just "good" music...not great....then waiting is OK...but with music like Fleetwood Mac and the Beatles...there will be no waiting... and you can add hi rez Rock to that priority list as well...

There's an ole Irish belief that "We're ALL on Loan...." that everyday we live is a blessing and if you REALLY feel that way, Clinty, then all those CLASSIC iconic box sets should then be procured day/date of release WITH EXPEDITED SHIPPING!

Maybe, JUST maybe, Gos 3.0 has the right idea! [May the G~Force be with you]! http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/92010/swhildfeb10.jpg

Last edited:

I like to do dollar cost averaging...If a set is being released that I really want, I pay the pre-purchase price so that there is no risk of losing out. Sgt Pepper is in that category. If the set is not high on my list, I'll wait for a better price after the release and perhaps for a stand-alone 5.1 disc like Eye in the Sky. Sometimes I miss out, like with Derek and the Dominoes Layla box set...no big deal.

I like to do dollar cost averaging...If a set is being released that I really want, I pay the pre-purchase price so that there is no risk of losing out. Sgt Pepper is in that category. If the set is not high on my list, I'll wait for a better price after the release and perhaps for a stand-alone 5.1 disc like Eye in the Sky. Sometimes I miss out, like with Derek and the Dominoes Layla box set...no big deal.

I've reached the point since I have SO MUCH surround music in my collection to be patient [and somewhat picky] and I purposely passed on the Derek/Dominoes box set because it was LOSSY [and IMO, NO Elliot Scheiner remix should be LOSSY....sorry].

But in the end, TO EACH HIS OWN.......and just the fact that we're obtaining so much surround music at this late stage [in the game] is, for me, the ultimate bonus!

BTW, nothing would make me happier than if UMG DID release a LOSSLESS stand alone BD~A of Derek. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it!

I’m confident that I’ve convinced myself into purchasing this set after all. Yes, previously, I was being a bit harsh on the overall song selections on this album. I changed my mind because I got to thinking about the extra tracks that should be included and it may have Dolby Atmos too which would be a big plus. Though, not yet sure if I will get it on day one or wait until the pricing falls a bit.

Flawed? Of course it's "flawed'. But to me, that doesn't diminish how truly good The White Album is.
Back in the day, like Sgt. Pepper, we listened to TWA from Christmas thru the Summer of 1968 and Autumn til Abbey Road was released.
Actually longer than Sgt. Pepper but in reality Sgt. Pepper started with the SFFE & PL single and was cut a bit short by MMT at Christmas the same year.
Good times.

Seriously looking forward to how well they capture the often sparse nature of TWA, especially in comparison to the previous 2 albums.
I can hear the studio now as much as the music.

Flawed? Of course it's "flawed'. But to me, that doesn't diminish how truly good The White Album is.
Back in the day, like Sgt. Pepper, we listened to TWA from Christmas thru the Summer of 1968 and Autumn til Abbey Road was released.
Actually longer than Sgt. Pepper but in reality Sgt. Pepper started with the SFFE & PL single and was cut a bit short by MMT at Christmas the same year.
Good times.

Seriously looking forward to how well they capture the often sparse nature of TWA, especially in comparison to the previous 2 albums.
I can hear the studio now as much as the music.
I know you meant to say 1969. :)

Flawed indeed, like any rare gem.

I was twelve when it was released, and thought it was cool for lots of twelve-year-old reasons beside the great music ("Why don't we do it in the road," snicker!!)

When I listen to it now, I can hear the band beginning to break apart, and the bittersweet is nearly overwhelming at times.

Not thrilled at the concept of paying $100+ for this when the time comes (still holding out on Sgt. Pepper), but I probably will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back