Things I like, and don't about DVD-Audio and SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just pretty much convert everything to DTS-MA and .MKV and play through my HTPC. I very seldom play discs, in fact can't tell you the last time I sat down and popped a disc in the Oppo. (unless it was just acquired).
I do the conversions on one machine and transfer over my network to the HTPC and use either Win MCE or ArcSoft TMT.

I just pretty much convert everything to DTS-MA and .MKV and play through my HTPC. I very seldom play discs, in fact can't tell you the last time I sat down and popped a disc in the Oppo. (unless it was just acquired).
I do the conversions on one machine and transfer over my network to the HTPC and use either Win MCE or ArcSoft TMT.

Whoa!
Cool!!!
That's pretty radical...
So, how do you bypass the watermarking in DVD-As?
Also, with MCH SACD, do you just record the 6 channels through the analog out?

Sorry to be a party pooper, but as with everything in life, you like and dislike certain aspects of basically everything...
As long as it's MCH, I LOVE IT (even if it's "cat repellent" SACDs)...
My favorite of course are 96/24 DVD-As....

SACD's: They're not just for repelling cats anymore! The newer SHM-SACD's from Japan also dispel man's best friend. Sends dogs scurrying for cover! Who says them pesky ultrasonic sound waves aren't good for something. Sure beats a Kong!

SACD's: They're not just for repelling cats anymore! The newer SHM-SACD's from Japan also dispel man's best friend. Sends dogs scurrying for cover! Who says them pesky ultrasonic sound waves aren't good for something. Sure beats a Kong!

LOL!!!!!

we may have found another use for SACDs...shutting dogs up!!!!

Whoa!
Cool!!!
That's pretty radical...
So, how do you bypass the watermarking in DVD-As?
Also, with MCH SACD, do you just record the 6 channels through the analog out?
Once a a DVDA has been converted to wav then DTS-MA watermark is no problem.
SACD is a problem unless you have the right equipment-which I don't- but fortunately thanks to others I have backup ISO's of most of my SACD's. (not that I have that many)
Nothing new about HTPC's, I'm surprised more people around here don't build them. On my setup the audio is actually passed by the video card via HDMI to my Onkyo. Any 6xxx series ATI-style video card and up will pass hi rez via HDMI.

I don't like that Universal stopped doing surround hi-rez just as another batch of classic Elton and Steely Dan were supposedly on their way..!! GRRR...!!! :mad:

Best way to screw with a dog is to slow down a CD-4 record to about 26 RPM.
The carrier, now at about 24-25K would drive your pup batshit. :)

Cats, I think, don't like the noise level that lies in the upper ranges of SACD.
It sounds like hissing to them.

Neil always tells me his cat leaves the room when playing an SACD. :)

Well, actually, cats have a higher hearing range than dogs!...but I love Bob Squire's method , it's so twisted!!

Animal abuse! Animal abuse! :yikes Man are we off track. Anyway:
After my Mother passed some years ago we inherited her 2 cats and along with our animals it was a total of 3 cats and a small dog. I used to have a routine of listening to music at a certain time of day, and the animals would all select their spots on the furniture around the room and "listen" with me. Surround sound fans? I don't know but they always chose the same "listening" spots.
Don't recall as any particular type of playback disturbed them......SACD, DVDA, etc.

:kitty: Kwad Kitty enjoys music if it's not too loud or raucous. If it is, he's gone like a cool breeze. raouw!! BTW: he looks exactly like his avatar, except he's half black, and half white. Integrated kitty.

We now return you to the wonderful world of SACD & DVD-A.

While I have the capability to play all formats, and own hundreds of MC discs, I far prefer DVD-A. Playing them in the car is huge, I now have that capability in both my wife's car and mine. SACD is a pain in the ass, especially the single layer discs. BD with DTS-HD MA is great, and as soon as I can play them in the car I'll be ecstatic. I just don't have the time to listen properly at home like I used to, so the car is king, and it sounds fantastic there as Jon said!

Back