THRAKBOX - New King Crimson boxset?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another interesting THRAKBOX update:

A second day of mastering the Mexico City concert from 1996 (the second disc from VROOOM VROOOM) for the forthcoming boxed set. I am tempted to call this another case of opening my mouth and then regretting it – but I know full well the consequences of my suggestions. For this boxed set, I have thus far suggested that we should include ATTAKcATHRAK (an all-new son of THRAKATTAK), "Keep that one Dave" (a "making of disc” based on about 60 hours of recordings), a movie of the Warfield concert in San Francisco, and now the complete shows that make up VROOOM VROOOM – and in every case I have then had to climb back into the studio to create the necessary discs. One would think that, as the recordings on this boxed set are some twenty years newer than those on Starless, they would present less problems. Dream on, I say! It will, however, be a magnificent set (with lots of other goodies not mentioned here). Such projects always throw up wonderful surprises – in this case, it’s perhaps the fact that Inner Garden, which would not rank as a personal highlight on the album itself, is simply glorious in its naked state. Although it’s tough to beat the wonder that is the all-new ATTAKcATHRAK in surround sound. What could be better than doing THRAKATTAK once. Doing it twice!

I'm enjoying these THRAKBOX updates from David Singleton quite a lot. Here's a new post from today:

So, I shall content myself with a few quick responses to the guestbook on the joys of THRAK, THRAKATTAK et al. Yes, the boxed set does contain many of the unfinished ideas which the double trio explored in the studio; the Warfield footage is of the 26th June 1996 (and we do also have a video of the CGT if they want it); and finally Bakullama shall be forgiven his lapse in "not getting" THRAKATTAK, as I recall he went to purchase that other classic, The Vicar Songbook#1 (on which he has remained worryingly mute).

Working on improvised material is interesting. I now know the second album ATTAKcATHRAK so well that it ceases to be in any way arbitrary or random - I could conduct it note for note all the way through. I am reminded of my experience in remastering "No Pussyfooting". My first experience of this album, when I was about 18, was not good - in fact, I told RF exactly what I thought on that first listening - "This sounded like something someone threw together in an afternoon". His reply "It didn’t take that long, it only took 45 minutes!"

And yet. And yet...While I was remastering the album (in the old days pre-automation when you had to learn and rehearse all your movements) I quickly found that I could learn the entire piece note for note so that I knew exactly what was about to happen. Something that previously had seemed arbitrary (there is a twenty years hiatus in the middle of this story) now sounded like a perfectly composed piece of music. As is probably the case with those who know and love THRAKATTAK.

More updates today in Robert Fripp diary where he mentions being mastering yesterday Thrak and Beat. And even more interesting, his willing to revisit the projeckts and KC 2000 - 2003. Promising!

More updates today in Robert Fripp diary where he mentions being mastering yesterday Thrak and Beat. And even more interesting, his willing to revisit the projeckts and KC 2000 - 2003. Promising!

Yes! Thank goodness there's finally some more movement on "Beat". We have been waiting too long for that one.
Haven't heard anything about "Three of a Perfect Pair" in a while. Wonder if that one's ready or not...

More movement on THRAKBOX. Some stuff about the Warfield footage but the really juicy bit for us is below:

Speaking of said boxed set, it will indeed be wonderful. On Tuesday (the deadline above) I mastered the surround sound audio with Neil Wilkes. And the majority of it is, well, simply splendiferous. The surround sound of ATTAKcATHRAK is a wonder to behold, even if I say so myself. In fact, both Declan and Neil remarked on how well the band now improvise - which I took as something of a complement as an honorary seventh member, who has guided them through mad geographical leaps, with a change of venue roughly every thirty seconds. The solution to great improvising is evidently to remove the chaff, take all the golden nuggets, and then sow them seamlessly (hopefully) into a coat of many colours. Exactly like THRAKATTAK and also nothing like it.

http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=29155 :)

Me too, just so many discs!

This is a great problem! ;)

It wasn't quite like that when those King Crimson DVD-A's first started coming out.. I think we have a lot to be thankful for to DGM.. would Steven Wilson be quite the force to be reckoned with wrt surround and remixing that he is now without them and their KC remix reissue program? :)

It wasn't quite like that when those King Crimson DVD-A's first started coming out.. I think we have a lot to be thankful for to DGM.. would Steven Wilson be quite the force to be reckoned with wrt surround and remixing that he is now without them and their KC remix reissue program? :)

A very interesting question! I think so, but we'd have had to wait longer for the surround discs

I think yes, he would be. The phrase is usually (as well as regularly) misused these days but Steven is truly a genius in his field and has a talent for surround mixing that is undeniable.

I Think yes but haveing the backing of the quality of Fripp/King Crimson has opened doors further

The unsung hero who rarely gets mentioned is Manager Andy Leff.

He manages both King Crimson and Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree, and he was the one that really helped convince Fripp to let Steven try his hand at remixing King Crimson in surround, and the rest as they say is history! :)

I chatted with Andy Leff briefly in 2010 at the NYC showing of Insurgentes at IFC. Would have engaged him more had I known this!

Keep Calm and Have Patience

Looks like more news on this release should be coming very soon!

In the latest DGM King Crimson Musings email, they say Tremendous Tuesdays will now be known as THRaKaTTaK Tuesdays, starting next week.
Looking forward to more information on this box!
It's been a long three years without a new surround mix of a King Crimson studio album! :)

Can't wait to finally get to properly hear the Crimson stuff from the 1990's that was only ever released on 16 bit CD! The '90s was a lo-fi zone - just CD's and not really much high quality vinyl. Thrak will be huge! Pretty much the perfect candidate for 5.1 there too.

Looks like more news on this release should be coming very soon!

In the latest DGM King Crimson Musings email, they say Tremendous Tuesdays will now be known as THRaKaTTaK Tuesdays, starting next week.
Looking forward to more information on this box!
It's been a long three years without a new surround mix of a King Crimson studio album! :)

I'm hoping the same thing...I got very excited when I saw that email!!

My only qualm will be, I will not get to see Darren Lock's banter on it when it comes out :(

I'm quite ok with this.

If everything was like before, he'd mumble something about how great it is, show box contents, shrug his shoulders and say its fantastic, give it 5 Thraks out of 5, and finish it with the phrase: "prog on!"

I'm more interested in what people say here...

Back