Troubling news about Sony Music & SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
From this link

In 1968, keyboardist extraordinaire Al Kooper joined forces with Dylan compadre, Michael Bloomfield and Buffalo Springfield's Stephen Stills to create a hippy-psychedelic-blues masterpiece. Their "Super Session" proved to be a landmark both in its performance and selection of songs. The highlight of this recording was the exceptional cover version of Donovan's "Season of the Witch".

Alas...at some point someone from Sony Legacy decided that this album was worthy of a surround sound reissue. Al Kooper was dispatched to spend the better part of a year reworking the tapes and sifting through all the tracks to reconstruct both "Super Session" and his debut Blood Sweat and Tear's release for audiophile consumption. This morning Al Kooper issued the following..

To the best of my knowledge, based on an unnamed source, the new head of SONY/BMG shut down the 5.1 SACD department and let everyone go. A year and a half ago I remixed Super Session and Child Is Father To The Man for them in 5.1 SACD. They both came out incredible and so I mastered them with Bob Ludwig.Now it seems they will languish on the shelves under the current administration of SONY/BMG.,........Typical, in soooo many ways

Al Kooper

The last Sony SACD was John Mayer. Will we ever see another? :(

JonUrban said:
The last Sony SACD was John Mayer. Will we ever see another? :(

You mean an SACD from Sony Music U.S.

Sony Music in other markets (Japan, Hong Kong, Europe) have been releasing new SACDs since the John Mayer SACD came out here.

Back