Warner artist "The Doobie Brothers" go SACD via Moblie Fidelity

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundboy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Over at Music Direct, it's listing a pre-order for the SACD of Doobie Brothers' "Toulouse Street" album. If true, this will be Warner's first domestic US SACD release*. The irony is, of course, that Warner Music is a major supporter of SACD's rival, DVD-Audio.

The Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street on SACD

* Hong Kong Warner Music released 9 SACD titles, some featuring remastering and production at Sony's New York studios, before US corporate Warner Music pulled the plug. HK Warner Music never released a DVD-A title.

The label shown in the listing is actually Mobile Fidelity, which means it's using a master licensed from Warner Brothers. Therefore it cannot be construed as any kind of SACD decision on Warner's part. relatedly, Warner's DVD-A support is very much past tense.

Sadly, even though a true quadraphonic master exists, there is virtually no chance it will be included, given MoFi's track record.

I would prefer a home made 4.0 DVD-A created from the reel than a stereo SACD from anyone.

Putting these things out without the original 4.0 mixes is a waste of SACD (to me, anyway)

The label shown in the listing is actually Mobile Fidelity, which means it's using a master licensed from Warner Brothers. Therefore it cannot be construed as any kind of SACD decision on Warner's part. relatedly, Warner's DVD-A support is very much past tense.

Sadly, even though a true quadraphonic master exists, there is virtually no chance it will be included, given MoFi's track record.

I don't know about no chance.

Mobile Fidelity has released some Surround Sound SACDs - including one by the Cowboy Junkies. We'll have to wait and see what happens here.

is this a 5.1? It says Hybrid....

The term "Hybrid" pertains to a dual layer disc. CD and DSD layers. Given MF's recent history I'd say there's a 98% chance that this will be stereo only.
I have a few MF stereo SACD's and they do sound great!

A 5.1 SACD would be very cool but I tend to be pessimistic, so I don't expect it. (I have heard that a pessimist is just an experienced optimist.) :D

Dennis

(I have heard that a pessimist is just an experienced optimist.) :D

Dennis

But true though, the Foghat, I believe is SACD stereo, as
probably will be the Marshall Crenshaw release. :(
Whatta shame.
Right church... wrong pew, as it were.

(BTW...The optimist says the glass is half full...
The pessimist says it's half empty.
I prefer to be a realist... they say "who gives a sh*t!! :D)

PS - I, too, would rather have (and do have) a reel conversion!

-B

Back