What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gezz - Jazz Pop-Uped (MCH/SACD)

51yePpFpjdL.jpg
41JzP8+U2PL.jpg

Superb SACD sampler. Nice warm sound, very good 5.1.

Attachments

• 51PheKmYo+L._SY300_.jpg
    51PheKmYo+L._SY300_.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 136
I have some Linn SACD samplers.. I don't think you'd enjoy the ambient surround mixes, fidelity is ok.

Actually the fidelity is more than OK, pretty excellent I would say. The surround is very ambient though, that's right - still a notch better than the stereo in my opinion.

My two favorite SACD multichannel from Linn are:

Fiona McKenzie - Elevate
The captivating debut solo album by Scottish singer/songwriter Fiona MacKenzie.

These are songs with a distinct, northern European character. Her writing and singing technique are affected by a spectrum of influences spanning Hungarian folk music, Nick Cave, Kate Bush, Cocteau Twins and Bjork, as well as the Scottish and Gaelic traditions.

Barb Jungr - Walking in the Sun
Drawing on influences from a wide range of musical traditions, including gospel and the blues, the album is Jungr's most accessible release to date. Jungr brings her decidedly creative and imaginative style to Carole King's Way Over Yonder, Jimmy Cliff's Many Rivers to Cross and, of course, her trademark re-workings of Dylan songs: Trouble in Mind and Blind Willie McTell. There is also a new song by Eric Bibb, Heading Home, which sees the legendary guitarist make a guest appearance on the track.

Both 100% recommended for suberb music and sound quality.

Actually the fidelity is more than OK, pretty excellent I would say. The surround is very ambient though, that's right - still a notch better than the stereo in my opinion.

My two favorite SACD multichannel from Linn are:

Fiona McKenzie - Elevate
The captivating debut solo album by Scottish singer/songwriter Fiona MacKenzie.

These are songs with a distinct, northern European character. Her writing and singing technique are affected by a spectrum of influences spanning Hungarian folk music, Nick Cave, Kate Bush, Cocteau Twins and Bjork, as well as the Scottish and Gaelic traditions.

Barb Jungr - Walking in the Sun
Drawing on influences from a wide range of musical traditions, including gospel and the blues, the album is Jungr's most accessible release to date. Jungr brings her decidedly creative and imaginative style to Carole King's Way Over Yonder, Jimmy Cliff's Many Rivers to Cross and, of course, her trademark re-workings of Dylan songs: Trouble in Mind and Blind Willie McTell. There is also a new song by Eric Bibb, Heading Home, which sees the legendary guitarist make a guest appearance on the track.

Both 100% recommended for suberb music and sound quality.

From what I've heard on the label I guess you could say I'm just not a big fan of the Linn house sound, the production on most of their SACDs I've heard (I've a dozen or so, mixed repertoire, Jazz, Classical, Folk, including a couple of the Barb Jungr's) is a bit clinical and sterile for my tastes.. it may be my equipment is not up to snuff and on higher end gear their discs may come to life, I can't say.. the unadventurous surround mixes I can live with (though I know keenly likes his surround discrete, hence my comment) but the sound presentation as I hear it on my setups just not my cup of tea.. each to their own, I respect your opinion uffeolby, if you enjoy the sound it's all good :)

I've often seen the Zucchero SACDs and wondered about them. What is the music like?

He's a husky raspy rocky poppy Italiano superstarro! :p Pop, soul, gospel, all with a rocky edge.. quite versatile with a healthy mix of ballads and more rocky numbers, he sings in both Italian and English.

He did a duet with Paul Young back in the 80's that's always on the radio, you're bound to have heard it.

As for the SACDs themselves, I held off buying them for the longest time as their surround reputations not been great.. I've recently got a few and have only played the Blue Sugar SACD so far.. but for faked/synthesized surround (the liner notes call it "Virtual Surround Sound") I really enjoyed it and though the sound overall struck me as maybe a bit compressed it was decent enough.. musically I liked it very much.

Just bought this off Discogs. Wasn't too bad. ~$27 with shipping. It's coming from Norway so I don't know how long that'll take. Hopefully I'll get it before October.

image_264913.jpg

Still need Speak and Spell, Black Celebration and Exciter to complete the set. Probably going to give up on the last 2 since the prices are ridiculous online.

Just bought this off Discogs. Wasn't too bad. ~$27 with shipping. It's coming from Norway so I don't know how long that'll take. Hopefully I'll get it before October.

View attachment 16097

Still need Speak and Spell, Black Celebration and Exciter to complete the set. Probably going to give up on the last 2 since the prices are ridiculous online.

Don't bother with the SACD ones..the DTS 96/24 are just as good,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back