What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha! I was just picturing "Walking In L.A." in surround. I can only imagine walking, walking, walking, walking, walking.....walking - bouncing between all the loudspeakers.

You must be a mind reader or something. I was thinking the same thing. LOL! :eek:

There is so much awesome music from the 80s just waiting for the hirez-surround treatment. Thinking about it all gets another phrase bouncing around inside my head...

If only, If only, If only, If only, If only..... If only......... :51banana:

Onderweg - Marco Borsato (Hybrid MultiCh SACD).

image.jpg

So these Silverline Inside The Music disks are popular now? I disliked Women On Top so much that I contacted the manufacturer and was able to do a return. Maybe my equipment malfunctioned when playing it or something, since it seems to be held in high regard now.

did you have change to listen to this one already Adam?

Marco has some good songs, but I never knew about a surround mix of his work.

Not yet I only just picked it up in the mail tonight, I don't know when I will have time but will try asap (Ps. I don't know this chap's music, it's a blind buy like so much of this more obscure surround stuff, so it's good to hear you like his work).

Not yet I only just picked it up in the mail tonight, I don't know when I will have time but will try asap (Ps. I don't know this chap's music, it's a blind buy like so much of this more obscure surround stuff, so it's good to hear you like his work).
He has some good songs. Other songs might be a bit cheesy, especially when you speak the language ;) So it is a bit of a mixed bag musicwise.

So these Silverline Inside The Music disks are popular now? I disliked Women On Top so much that I contacted the manufacturer and was able to do a return. Maybe my equipment malfunctioned when playing it or something, since it seems to be held in high regard now.
These Silverline releases are a mixed bag. I bought WomenOnTop for one song... Missing Persons - Words. And I am very happy to say that to my ears it sounds fantastic. I can turn up the volume and it gets better and better. Some other songs were also mixed pretty well.

Sadly though, this is not the case with every song. My major complaint with this DVDA is that some other songs are mixed at a much higher level and have an excessive amount of bass. And Blondie was given a lame surround mix. So, to say it is "held in high regard" is stretching it. But to simply discard this series because of a few flaws would be to miss out on some seriously good tunes in 5.1.

Silverline Inside the Music ClassicCountry (DVDA)

I ordered this one after reading some positive reviews on amazon and finding it for $7. It came in the mail today. I'm just listening to it now. Compared to WomenOnTop, the recording level is a bit more uniform. There is still a deep bass on a few songs, but not too bad. The surround mix actively uses the rears, but nothing too exotic. One has to remember that these are good, old Country songs with a simple arrangement.

So far, I am enjoying this one very much INDEED!! It's great to have some Crystal Gayle, Jean Sheppard, Billie Jo Spears, Merle Haggard, George Jones and of course Willie Nelson in 5.1.

Not a fan of what passes for country these days, (.....and wasn't a fan back in those days either, but I've come to appreciate it) but that disc is fairly good, not great on surrounds as you say but better than your typical Silverliner.
I don't think the reviews of hte others in this series were as complimentary.

A good thing with this forum is that how much new remastered/remixed stuff you buy, there is always a bunch of people even more crazy at this than yourself - makes you feel quite sane regarding this hobby after all...

Last thing added to my pile is the BS&T (II) SACD from AF which is very good in both stereo and quad. I've actually never heard the full album before so Blues, Part 2 was a very nice surprise (really digging the quad version). In the mail I have Steven Wilson's new one (Deluxe book version) and the three AF SACD's recently released (Grover Washington Jr, Bread and Guess Who).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back