What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on listening to the two discs (Women On Top & New Wave) this weekend. It should be fun! :)

The first disc I played was "Women On Top" and I kept thinking the word terrible surround mix with each and every song with the exception of "Words" by Missing People. Most of these songs were mixed bass heavy. On "Words" the sound quality was pretty even. I've never heard the Vixen song but it was pretty decent. The Katrina And The Waves song, "Walking On Sunshine", didn't sound right, like it was a re-recording.

While playing "New Wave" next, I kept thinking how much better this disc turned out. Just about every song sounded pretty decent on my system in my room with my ears. "Destination Unknown" by Missing People did not sound all that great and I'm almost positive this was a demo or alternate version of that song. In no particular order, the standout tracks for me were, "Tenderness - General Public, "She's A Beauty" - The Tubes, "Mexican Radio" - Wall Of Voodoo and "So L.A." - The Motels. The rest of the songs were decent enough.

I only listened to each disc once.

The Letting Go - Bonnie 'Prince' Billy (DVD-Audio).

image.jpg

The Polyphonic Spree's "Together We're Heavy".

I got this for three reasons:
1. It was $6.99 used at a local store
2. It comes from the DTS Entertainment label, which is somewhat reputable at turning out great surround mixes
3. This album was mixed in surround by Frank Filipetti, one of the greatest mixing engineers of the last 40 years.

Gonna listen when I can and give it a review and rating. :)

Another disc I have just ordered from eBay is the SACD of James Taylor's "Hourglass".

$30 for a "Like New" condition SACD of what I have heard is a REFERENCE recording from the last 25 years, also mixed in surround by Frank Filipetti.

Can't wait to get this! :)

Another disc I have just ordered from eBay is the SACD of James Taylor's "Hourglass".

$30 for a "Like New" condition SACD of what I have heard is a REFERENCE recording from the last 25 years, also mixed in surround by Frank Filipetti.

Can't wait to get this! :)

That's a good one. A favorite here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back