What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I am enjoying them, they sound great. As Fred said, the Steve Miller is very good too. The Paradise Lost disc did not grab me yet, have to give it a few more spins.

I was/am the same with Paradise Lost not sure what it is but i just found it lacking not memorable whatevee. its not bad music, I should like it but just have better things to listen to

Pig Destroyer DVD A. Not bad. Good and big drums.

I got this as well. There seemed to be two editions at Amazon.de: one with CD + DVD-A and one with CD + DVD. The user comments had been that the later comes with DD 5.1 (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0002YT7OE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00). Since the DVD-A was too expensive for my taste of music (Grindcore is not ranked very high :)) I decided to go for the "cheap" one. To my surprise I also got a CD + DVD-A pair. It is nowhere mentioned on the cover, sticker or elsewhere. Just if you open it the CD label itself says DVD-A and I checked the files and indeed is. A good fetch for EUR 9 incl. s/h. There are more available at this price...

Markus

I played the disc last night so I now understand what you mean by "voice-over".
It's not the actual singing (some of which is German, some English) but the spoken narration at the beginning of certain tracks.
It's German on my copy, catalog # 06024 9865609 9

Interesting album, I like it. I may seek out the other Schiller CDs.
Sounds good too though I had to listen in CD mode, my stubborn SACD player would not load it.

I also have that Helium Vola disc.
Very unusual music.

Arghhhh. I tried to get an English spoken copy from Amazon.co.uk. They send my a German one from a storehouse in Germany and charged international s/h. What a pain :-(

Markus

Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth (DTS-CD)
Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer (DVD-A)
Burton, Corea, Metheny, Holland, Haynes - Like Minds (SACD)

Now thats an interesting disc CD and DVDA with completly different contents on each, thankfully the DVDA being the more listeable content

You are right... The DVD-A Album has even a different name: Natasha. I was blind and wondered why the DVD-A was not as hard as the preview I heard on Amazon... :)

Markus

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin (DVD-A)
Alison Krauss and Union Station - New Favorite (SACD)
Chicago - Chicago II (DVD-A)
Foo Fighters - One By One (DVD-A)
The Mavericks - Trampoline (DTS-CD)
Pixies - Minotaur (5 CD / 2 DVD / 1 BluRay)

Pierre Monteux Conducts Tchaikovsky, Silverline Classics DualDisc 284223-2 (DVD-A)

Pierre Monteux conducts Tchaikovsky at the Vienna Festival
Performed by the London Symphony
John Ogdon, Piano

Complete concert recorded live May 31, 1963 at the Vienna Festival.

Disc One:
Romeo and Juliet
Piano concerto No. 1 in B-Flat Minor, Op. 23

Disc Two:
Symphony no. 5 in E Minor, Op. 64

Depeche Mode- Construction Time Again (SACD).

Not my favourite of theirs but it fills a gap!

Now just Black Celebration, Violator, and Exciter to go.

Is the mix of the Queen album that same as the mix on the 30th Anniversary DVD-V edition? (obviously not lossless...)

I'm pretty sure there are differences, mainly due to Brian May's involvement, or interference, whichever way you look at it.

The promo DVDA 5.1 mix was purely Elliot Scheiners' work. You can identify it by looking at the credits in the booklet and if it says "5.1 Tracks mixed by Elliot Scheiner" with no mention of Brian, then you've got the original 5.1 mix.

The official DVDA release (with a credit for the 5.1 mix to both Elliot Scheiner & Brian May) has some mix adjustments made by Brian.

The 30th DVDV has some other changes, the least subtle being "God Save The Queen" is remixed from the multitracks for the first time on the DVDV, whereas on the DVDA it's fake 5.1 from the stereo masters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back