What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They weren't on eBay, so they were listed at a fixed price on an audiophile site ... along with a number of other sealed SACD and DVD-Audio disks that I bought when the store was liquidating. It probably makes more sense to sit on everything for a bit. They don't take up much room, and I would rather trade anyway.

Yeah, that Simon character at DVD4Music is a piece of work. He has a real persecution complex. He told me that all the bad press he is getting is from his competitors who don't like his low prices. When I pointed out that his "low prices" meant nothing if he couldn't deliver, he did not take it well. I eventually got MOST of my money back, but he drags it on for so long that a credit card chargeback becomes difficult. I hounded him until he paid up. It wasn't a lot of money, but scammers really piss me off.

ah right, is that the SH forums? (PM me if you don't want to say in public).

oh god, what a shyster. that's not a persecution complex, it's a "Walter Mitty" one..!!

Back when this was still in print Best Buy had them mis-priced at $11.99. Don't know why I never bought one. I came close once then put it back.

win some, lose some, i guess!?

plus it is reggae, so possibly not everyone's cup of tea - unless it's Bob Marley, he's pretty much everyone's cup of tea and I'd go so far as to say the most palatable face/voice of the genre - it only fetches the inflated prices because of its scarcity now, I reckon.

as time's gone by and these things have just gone up and up in value, I've had to be a bit philosophical about the many snap decisions I made not to get some of them at the time.

maybe if its not meant to be, it's just not meant to be?

besides I've not played Legalize It yet.. it might be a load of old tosh..! haha.. :D

Peter Tosh was real cool to see in concert in the 70's. "Legalize It" is a great one. And rare that we don't have more classic reggae titles in Multi-Channel. The music is ideally suited for it. I also could have got one one cheap in store, but ended up paying about $80 on eBay about 4 or 5 years ago. That's the most I ever paid for a single disc and would not ever do that again.

The other title I didn't buy at the time was
Aerosmith's "Rocks" SACD at Concord, CA., Fry's in Fall of 2006. I picked it up, looked on the back, but saw that there was no Multi-Channel on it. Was disappointed no Quadraphonic mix, and no way to play as a CD, and since I didn't own a SACD player at the time, put it back on the shelf. Was it a rare collectible in 2006? It would have been nice to own now, but no regrets. I want the Multi-Channel still.

A stereo SHM-SACD. Not a very good deal with only 48 minutes playing time. They used to expand the classical titles but now seems like they are just doing straight re-issues with nothing additional. I'm going to be cutting back my SHM-SACD purchases as a result.

EMI is doing SHM-SACDs now too. Just classical. They've announced a Beethoven 9th as a 2 disk SHM-SACD. How ridiculous. We all know it would fit on a single disk.

Attachments

• solti.jpg
    solti.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 116
Just a question and not a comment, but not sure what one is getting with the SHM-SACD's mastering wise and sound quality. Are they good?

They're all good. There are those people who are just as happy with a CD though.

A good investment too. A $15 CD is worth $2 after you open it. A SHM-SACD probably $50. I paid a total of $54 with shipping for this one.

I'll disagree on SHM-SACD. I own perhaps a dozen of them. Who's Next, Aja, Blind Faith and Cream's Wheels of Fire sound like crap. Innervisions, John Barleycorn, Who's Singles and the Stones sound very good.

Caveat Emptor!

I'll disagree on SHM-SACD. I own perhaps a dozen of them. Who's Next, Aja, Blind Faith and Cream's Wheels of Fire sound like crap. Innervisions, John Barleycorn, Who's Singles and the Stones sound very good.

Caveat Emptor!

it's the old "garbage in = garbage out" situation again.

no matter how wonderful the plastic the disc is pressed on, if the source tapes or mastering suck it will still suck.

Caveat Emptor!
I agree with Innervisoins, but not John Barleycorn. And what Stones are you referring to? I found Exile On Main Street to be a bit disappointing. I'm used to that one having more bass.

The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil (SACD)
Brian Transeau - Monster – Music From and Inspired by the Film (DTS-DVD)
Rory Gallagher - Big Guns - The Very best Of Rory Gallagher (SACD)
David Alan - David Alan (DVD-A)

And finally today my door price from QQ arrived in perfect shape.
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings: The Ultimate Skynyrd Collection (DVD-A)

Thanks again

Markus

Really??? Or are you just pulling my chain....

no, really, I paid less than £5 for it.

I've been on an incredible lucky streak lately.

I got Aerosmiths Toys, Bowie's Heathen, Avalon & the Pete Tosh SACDs all for under £50 (apiece) which felt like an achievement at this stage (although they're still crazy prices compared to what I'm ordinarily used to stretching to)..

and the Celine Dion hits SACD for £1.50 felt like daylight robbery..

the Simple Minds stereo SACD for £5..

the E.T. SACD for less than £5 last week..

I've really been so lucky..

..but this is the best bit of luck I've had with these OOP SACDs so far. I nearly fainted when it turned out to be the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back