What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well.. the good news is.. it is a genuine MLP DVD-Audio... :wave

...the not so good news, I guess, would be...

1.) as you can see its PAL, which might cause a problem for some of our QQ members based in NTSC video based territories,
2.) more importantly the surround mix is not that great.. there are unique elements that pop up in the rears but for a lot of the time it feels like big/double stereo..

still, it sounds pretty good and its a nice package in a cute little presentation box with a cool kinda lanyard and stuff and it is pretty cool to have more of this kind of music in Hi-Res Surround DVD-A form..! :upthumb
I purchased this at J&R music in NYC years ago and my copy is NTSC so there must have been multiple versions made.

Well.. the good news is.. it is a genuine MLP DVD-Audio... :wave

...the not so good news, I guess, would be...

1.) as you can see its PAL, which might cause a problem for some of our QQ members based in NTSC video based territories,
2.) more importantly the surround mix is not that great.. there are unique elements that pop up in the rears but for a lot of the time it feels like big/double stereo..

still, it sounds pretty good and its a nice package in a cute little presentation box with a cool kinda lanyard and stuff and it is pretty cool to have more of this kind of music in Hi-Res Surround DVD-A form..! :upthumb
I purchased this at J&R music in NYC years ago and my copy is NTSC so there must have been multiple versions made.

Let me double check my BDP settings etc when I get back home.. there is a very slim chance the player may be set to PAL..
(Meant to check it the other day but failed.. failed, I tell thee! :D )

Thanks for the reminder :eek:

Edit: Just double checked and it is PAL..

..my player was set to MultiSystem.. and the disc showed as PAL.. set the player to NTSC Video out instead and it still showed PAL.. so there you go, they must have authored a PAL version for the European market (my set made in Germany).. and yours Philip musta been NTSC presumed made Stateside but not necessarily of course.. what an interesting release all round really.. well, everything is interesting about it apart from the 5.1 surround mix, which is not that interesting at all really.. :eek:

Last edited:
I played it once and put it away. Whelmed but not overly. My copy came in a box with other stuff, but I don't think there were any marbles.

The feeling is mutual, one was whelmed but not overly! :D
Mine's got one of them lanyard things in it Philip, like you put round your neck with a backstage pass attached to it or something was I think what they were going for rather than a work security pass or something slightly more mundane maybe.. not quite a scarf or marbles but kinda cute yet still kinda pointless.. I suspect similar situation will occur this end, though I have had to take it out of the box three times now.. once for pics of the package itself for the forum which I haven't got round to U/L-ing all to Dropbox yet, 2nd time to play it (there's a shock!) & 3rd time to play it again Sam but only to confirm the video standards format thingy.. :eek:

Well, I liked it so much, I added it twice....on accident of course. :)

cue em both up and get it in glorious (?) octopussyphonic..:ugham:

latest

IMG_20160917_082432_537-2.jpg

Santana Supernatural. Couldn't pass it up for the price of a redbook.

Will give it a couple plays then give it to my brother.

Just got home after being away for a couple of weeks and have the expected BOC Secret Treaties and Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks. Better yet, I have the rest of the week for more than the usual listening time. Oh and a job well done by the USPS, they've done a great job on mail holds over the years for me.

The Young And The Restless / Super Country Hits - Floyd Cramer (Hybrid MultiChannel SACD)

Two Quad albums on one Surround SACD, courtesy of Dutton Vocalion :upthumb

floyd-cramer-2016-super-country-hits-the-super-audio-cd.jpg

You got em all now Adam?

Not yet Mike, I've got the other Floyd Cramer Dutton Vocalion SACD to get still.. oh and the 2 x Perry Como's also, they're on the shopping list too
(may pick them up in the next couple of weeks, funds permitting, times are tight these days but I'm thinking I better get these DV SACDs while they are still available at affordable retail prices, we know to our cost what happens if we snooze we lose..! :zzzzz)

Ps. Did you catch 'em all yet? ;)

Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth - DVD-A

edit: and yes Adam I have all the Dutton Vocalion SACDs :sun

Back