Yes - Close to the Edge 5.1 DVD-A/BluRay in October

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really want Union, Talk, & Open Your Eyes....of course I'd probably prefer most of the studio albums prior to them first...:D

Seriously though - I do want:

The Yes Album
Relayer
Going for the One
Tormato
Drama
Talk
The Ladder
Fly From Here

Why was what moved, and from where to where?

The thread, from the rumor section to this one. I suppose because it's not a rumor at this point but a definite release - keep the forum tidy and accurate?

So, were you known as rtsurroundfan on the SH forum? I'd guess this quote here was your final post?

Well at least they had the courtesy to ban you properly. With me, they simply redirected me elsewhere every time I attempted to log in, to some non-existing site.

I saw that post and got a laugh. and this one as well:

A Close To The Edge Battle Royal between Hoffman and Wilson? Can't wait!

It is actually only just beginning, I think you will find.........:banana:
'nuff said for now.....

If this is the beginning, what else can we hope for?
Some Italian-Prog gem, such as Banco, PFM, Orme?

As it looks like there is going to be significant Yes releases, will we ever see 5.1 mixes of the solo albums from Rick Wakeman "Six Wives" (wasn't that once available in SQ?), Alan White's "Ramshackled", and Jon Anderson's "Olias Of Sunhillow" ?

Will be happy just with a repressing in digital format, no need for a remix. The quad mix for 6W and King Arthur are astounding, Journey suffers from the recording problem...

AF are bound to bring out more Yes SACDs (they'll have their own deal with Rhino or whoever going on, I imagine!?) but they're never going to do surround, so you pays yer money you takes yer choice:-

you can opt for:

a.) true Hi-Rez DVD-A/BD flat transfers plus amazing new stereo & surround mixes (by a great artist in his own right who has a real flair for remixing things too and has rapidly become the "go-to" guy for 5.1 remixes of classic prog rock etc ..)

or b.) stereo only SA-CDs.

for me, the decisions all too easy.

so are you implying that DSD is not hi-rez , that the DSD layers of AF SACDs (why the hyphen?) are not hi-rez, or that they aren't 'flat transfers' (which I don't think their CttE was ever touted as), or all of the above?.

I'm not defending AF/Hoffman per se, but
1) DSD is typically considered a 'hi rez format (though the actual content can be far from 'hi rez', just as for DVDA or BluRay)
2) flat transfer is not always the right final approach for a commercial release. Of course the digitization from analog tapes should be 'flat' but after that sometimes more work is needed. Sometimes there's even instructions included with the mixdown master tapes for final production mastering (usually from the days of vinyl)

so are you implying that DSD is not hi-rez , that the DSD layers of AF SACDs (why the hyphen?) are not hi-rez, or that they aren't 'flat transfers' (which I don't think their CttE was ever touted as), or all of the above?.

I'm not defending AF/Hoffman per se, but
1) DSD is typically considered a 'hi rez format (though the actual content can be far from 'hi rez', just as for DVDA or BluRay)
2) flat transfer is not always the right final approach for a commercial release. Of course the digitization from analog tapes should be 'flat' but after that sometimes more work is needed. Sometimes there's even instructions included with the mixdown master tapes for final production mastering (usually from the days of vinyl)

the hyphen works for these guys...

http://www.sa-cd.net/

..you may have heard of them.

I think it's rather cool, so I'm using the hyphen too.

the hyphen works for these guys...

http://www.sa-cd.net/

..you may have heard of them.

I think it's rather cool, so I'm using the hyphen too.

I don't consider consumer SA-CD/DSD discs to be true Hi-Rez, no. how can a format that's effectively lower resolution than redbook CD truly be Hi-Rez..!?

The AF SA-CDs were never touted as flat transfers. I'm merely stating my preference - I would prefer having flat transfers and an SW remix in one package, which is what these new Yes releases will be. the new DVD-A's & BD-A's (aaarrgghh! More HYPHENS!!!) will represent better quality and better value for money than the SA-CD to me personally. (IMHO, FYI, BTW, YMMV..etc).

most of the SH masterings I have heard are virtually flat anyhow, the guys talented but he tends to be economical with his EQ.

EQ & mastering cues for vinyl are just that - best left for vinyl, we all know the kinds of 'adjustments' (compromises) needed when mastering for vinyl and its technical "parameters" (i.e. limitations).. though I don't disagree a flat transfer isn't necessarily the best way to go and recordings need some work but I like the idea of a "flat" one and then I can pump it up into an "inflated" one, at home, all by myself..!!! (uh-oh! that sounded dodgy.!! :eek:)

What do you mean?

This huge article is just one of many rubbishing 1-bit ultrasonic noise-shaped systems like DSD/SA-CD..

http://www.iar-80.com/page17.html

just one quote from that one article (below) will give you an insight into what I'm getting at (I really don't want to be mean but you can PM me for more if you like, nobody wants this excellent/important thread to turn into another SA-CD vs. DVD-A debate!) :mad:@:

".. So, how did the new SACD format compare to the handicapped and ancient 16/44 CD in this direct A-B comparison? In some sonic aspects, the SACD lost!! Above 8000 Hz the SACD sounded awful, especially on sibilants of the female singer, and on cymbal sounds from the drum kit. Whenever these musical notes came along, the ancient 16/44 PC CD sounded much cleaner, faster, and more open (remember, both CDs came from the same original master). The SACD exhibited a very trashy distortion on these musical notes, making them frazzled and smeared.
This gross distortion heard from the Super Audio CD version was identical to the sonic flaw we observed during Sony's earlier A-B-R demo using master tapes and studio processors, and occurred on the same types of musical notes. As we discussed in our 1998 Master Guide, this seems to be a slew related distortion, like a digital version of TIM.
This second demo confirmed our findings from the first demo, and it's an especially powerful confirmation because the system setup was so different. Moreover, since this demo employed the finished CD product rather than master tapes and studio processor loops, the findings of this demo are assuredly relevant to what you will hear from Super Audio CDs in your home system.
If the new Super Audio CD loses out even to the ancient 16/44 CD above 8000 Hz, you can well imagine that it will be slaughtered above 8000 Hz by 24/96 PCM CDs, including both the present ad hoc audiophile 24/96 standard on DVD video and the different forthcoming 24/96 DVD audio standard from DVD-A. And indeed we found this to be the case (see below)."

I don't consider consumer SA-CD/DSD discs to be true Hi-Rez, no. how can a format that's effectively lower resolution than redbook CD truly be Hi-Rez..!?

The AF SA-CDs were never touted as flat transfers. I'm merely stating my preference - I would prefer having flat transfers and an SW remix in one package, which is what these new Yes releases will be. the new DVD-A's & BD-A's (aaarrgghh! More HYPHENS!!!) will represent better quality and better value for money than the SA-CD to me personally. (IMHO, FYI, BTW, YMMV..etc).

most of the SH masterings I have heard are virtually flat anyhow, the guys talented but he tends to be economical with his EQ.

Except, there's simply no way you could know this, unless you have EQ profiles of the master tape recordings themselves handy for comparison.

And if we're going by anecdote from mastering engineers, Yes 'Fragile' master is anecdotally NOT one you'd want to hear 'flat'.

I have and I've always found them a bit....extreme

fair enough, each to their own :) I don't chat on their much, there's a bias towards stereo & Classical that doesn't really do it for me but its been a great resource for me personally in my hardcore SA-CD MultiChannel collecting (y)

maybe we could we carry this on somewhere else if you'd like and stick to the Yes DVD-A's in this thread?

not being rude, I'm just conscious of this great thread descending into off-topic hell.. :)

Except, there's simply no way you could know this, unless you have EQ profiles of the master tape recordings themselves handy for comparison.

And if we're going by anecdote from mastering engineers, Yes 'Fragile' master is anecdotally NOT one you'd want to hear 'flat'.

I'm going on anecdotal and 1st hand experience with the end product only of course. I've never heard the Yes masters (multi or mix downs, whatever).

I've read loads of discussions on SHF (etc) about so many Yes masterings, it's mind-boggling! including some great contributions from Barry Diament on computeraudiophile.com regarding just why you wouldn't want any Yes flat transfers.

still doesn't mean I can't WANT flat transfers to do what I like with them! :mad:@:

I'm not going to respond here to any more of this off topic stuff, please lets not derail this WONDERFUL THREAD..!!!!! :)

This huge article is just one of many rubbishing 1-bit ultrasonic noise-shaped systems like DSD/SA-CD..

http://www.iar-80.com/page17.html

Many? It's one of very few, actually. Not that DSD isn't an absurd format for consumer delivery.

just one quote from that one article (below) will give you an insight into what I'm getting at (I really don't want to be mean but you can PM me for more if you like, nobody wants this excellent/important thread to turn into another SA-CD vs. DVD-A debate!) :mad:@:

That 'direct A/B comparison was sighted, and thus, worthless for the purpose you're putting it to.

SACD *is* a lot of hype, as is the rest of 'high rez',..but I wouldn't put much stock in the claims of cranky pseudoscientific 'audiophile' articles like these, from the dawn of the 'hi rez' era no less. A more objective critique from that era was Lipshitz and Vanderkooy's AES article. But the fact is, plenty of audiophiles seem to think SACDs sound awesome, so how to explain that without calling into question every other such claim, about DVD-A or BluRay too? One could assert as Moncreiff does that "They are obviously so entranced by the improved musical naturalness below 8000 Hz that they fail to notice the gross distortion above 8000 Hz on certain musical notes. More plausibly once could assert the dirty little secret of audio: DSD and DVDA and BluRay and Redbook, done right, are all likely to sound identical in a fair comparison.

Moncrieff is a sad and interesting case of someone abandoning science for audiophile woo....

Many? It's one of very few, actually. Not that DSD isn't an absurd format for consumer delivery.

That 'direct A/B comparison was sighted, and thus, worthless for the purpose you're putting it to.

SACD *is* a lot of hype, as is the rest of 'high rez',..but I wouldn't put much stock in the claims of cranky pseudoscientific 'audiophile' articles like these, from the dawn of the 'hi rez' era no less. A more objective critique from that era was Lipshitz and Vanderkooy's AES article. But the fact is, plenty of audiophiles seem to think SACDs sound awesome, so how to explain that without calling into question every other such claim, about DVD-A or BluRay too? One could assert "They are obviously so entranced by the improved musical naturalness below 8000 Hz that they fail to notice the gross distortion above 8000 Hz on certain musical notes. More plausibly once could assert the dirty little secret of audio: DSD and DVDA and BluRay and Redbook, done right, are all likely to sound identical in a fair comparison.

I agree! It's all Hi-Rez Hoodoo!? :mad:@: Really, I'm getting past caring! I only bought Hi-Rez in the first place to get more MultiChannel.. now, can we get back on topic here? please? :)

Done right is the key phrase when it comes to SACD.

They can be pretty good when the team knows how to handle DSD. The SACD releases by other teams are challenging to even sit through.

Done right is the key phrase when it comes to SACD.

They can be pretty good when the team knows how to handle DSD. The SACD releases by other teams are challenging to even sit through.

Thats what I have found, the Japanese "Fragile" SACD seems good to me as does the "Wish You Were Here". It is in the Mastering I suspect.

Back