YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans 5.1 - Reality

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my shipping notice today! :banana: And this is my most anticipated release in a while, heck maybe even of ALL TIME! :worthy

By the way, where has DennisMoore Jr. been lately? He seemed more excited about this release than anyone, but he hasn't posted in almost 2 weeks. I also noticed he has 999 posts, so maybe he's saving up #1,000 for a special post or something. ;)

By the way, where has DennisMoore Jr. been lately? He seemed more excited about this release than anyone, but he hasn't posted in almost 2 weeks. I also noticed he has 999 posts, so maybe he's saving up #1,000 for a special post or something. ;)

Speaking of missing persons, I haven't seen a post from Clint Eastwood in months I think. And he seemed to post daily at a minimum.

I got my shipping notice today too - from Deep Discount. I'm a little surprised to see them get it out this quickly, I expected to be waiting another week or so.

I'm still surprised that my copy arrived last Saturday! I had pre-ordered through Amazon UK, and they, like everyone else had put back the release date by a week. I then noticed that the bluray was on at Base.com (a UK shop that I've used many times before) for a price cheaper than Amazon (£22.99), so I cancelled Amazon and ordered at Base.com, who delivered earlier than the release date :confused::banana:

I've listened to this again today and it is wonderful. I know every note of this album, and its one of my favourites. I've always loved side 3 The Ancient, a track that many people find too odd and difficult, and in surround it might even be my favourite track off the album. It really opens up and shines in this format.

My worry with this release is that many people are expecting great things of this in surround, and some of those people may not have prior knowledge of the complicated and strange music that is on the album, and so may be shocked and disappointed. It is definitely a stellar Steven Wilson mix and deserves top marks, so I hope I'm wrong and that everyone gives it a chance to grow on them. Its worth it :cool: !

luv my quad - where in Western NY. I grew up in North Buffalo, Bennett high School, SUNYAB and taught at Buff State.

I'm still surprised that my copy arrived last Saturday! I had pre-ordered through Amazon UK, and they, like everyone else had put back the release date by a week. I then noticed that the bluray was on at Base.com (a UK shop that I've used many times before) for a price cheaper than Amazon (£22.99), so I cancelled Amazon and ordered at Base.com, who delivered earlier than the release date :confused::banana:

I've listened to this again today and it is wonderful. I know every note of this album, and its one of my favourites. I've always loved side 3 The Ancient, a track that many people find too odd and difficult, and in surround it might even be my favourite track off the album. It really opens up and shines in this format.

My worry with this release is that many people are expecting great things of this in surround, and some of those people may not have prior knowledge of the complicated and strange music that is on the album, and so may be shocked and disappointed. It is definitely a stellar Steven Wilson mix and deserves top marks, so I hope I'm wrong and that everyone gives it a chance to grow on them. Its worth it :cool: !

Yep, I am "expecting great things of this in surround" and it needs to deliver. Why, is there somewhat of a letdown here because it's really the same old album, and if you didn't love it before, you won't now?

I don't love the album and am hoping the surround changes my mind.

Yes, The Ancient is the only track on Topo that I don't love and I was hoping that Steve Wilson's surround mix would bring me deeper into this piece, so this is good news!

Yep, I am "expecting great things of this in surround" and it needs to deliver. Why, is there somewhat of a letdown here because it's really the same old album, and if you didn't love it before, you won't now?

Me too. I haven ordered yet, its still a paycheck away. To me TFTO never got in my rotation anywhere near as much as The Yes Album, Fragile, or Close to the Edge. I'm hoping a stellar surround treatment will make it more interesting for me. It didn't happen with the Relayer release.

I found that the surround mix and fidelity made me sit up and take notice. I too rather tiptoed around this album back in the day. There's still 25% I'm chewing on yet very enthused about the other 75%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I've said before - I have never heard this album, so this should be a good experience in surround. :)

oooo, you're gonna be sh*tting your pants with this mix!!!!!!
It's WAY UP THERE!!!!!
Make sure you get at least two copies cause you0re gonna wear one out!!!!

;)

That's not what I meant, there is absolutely no letdown in the surround mix and fidelity, they deliver, boy do they deliver (y)

Ohhhhh yeaaaaaaaaahhhhh!
I listened to the ocean last night for the first time and saw a lot of mermaids....I think there were 5+1.
What a fantastic disc.
Steven Wilson made his masterpiece!

GOT IT! and within 3 minutes the Blu-ray is in the Oppo and I'm setting the audio to LPCM surround, first I notice the voices coming from all 4 surround speakers, then I think It's a bit quiet so I crank it up, much higher than I normally have to. then I think "bass is a bit low" so I actually turn the knob on the back of the sub (been meaning to do this for a while). Everything now sounds lovely. Now i think I know this album pretty well, but I'm hearing things I have never heard before, there is a lot going on, Steven (Wilson) has plenty to work with and he's certainly worked his magic on this and done a really good job of it. If you love Prog and have to have it in surround then I recommend this highly.

So, does the multichannel version of 'Revealing' have the intro??????????

The world needs to know.... :)

R

So, does the multichannel version of 'Revealing' have the intro??????????

The world needs to know.... :)

R

It has multichannel versions of both the normal length song and the song with the intro :). I have read that the version here with the extended intro (called Dance of the Dawn) is different to the Rhino version from a few years ago, but I haven't had time to compare them yet.

Back