YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans 5.1 - Reality

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw Yes once, at The Warfield, SF. I know Howe, Anderson, Squire, Rabin and White where there, I can't remember if Wakeman was there. It was a reunion tour, 1990's ? I forget, anybody remember?

Here's something else interesting about the Steven Wilson mix of "Tales." "Ritual" is longer! At 12:48, there are 11 more seconds of the bass solo than in the original mix. Once you listen to that spot on the original mix, it's hard not to notice the edit Eddie Offord made.

J. D.

I saw Yes once, at The Warfield, SF. I know Howe, Anderson, Squire, Rabin and White where there, I can't remember if Wakeman was there. It was a reunion tour, 1990's ? I forget, anybody remember?

That would be the Union tour where Rabin's Yes joined Anderson/Howe's "Yes" (ABWH) and they had everyone: both White and Bruford; both Kaye and Wakeman; both Howe and Rabin; and Anderson and Squire. Awesome tour in '91, but the Union album was severely compromised by record co. execs.

I think I've discovered a major flaw in this otherwise fine release. The track titled "Dance of the Dawn (Studio Run-Through)" is no such thing. It is simply a remastered version of "The Revealing Science of God" from the Rhino TFTO CD. I even lined the two versions up in Adobe Audition and they stay in perfect sync from start to finish. This is true for both the CD and the blu-ray. The Rhino TFTO actually has the studio run through, so I know what it's supposed to sound like.

If I am right (and maybe I'm comparing the wrong tracks), I am somewhat surprised by this.

That's nowhere near to a major flaw in my book. A slight mistake in titling. Personally, I never listen much to studio run-throughs anyway. I also don't think that the extended intro to RSoG adds anything either. It's nice to have it, but I think they made the right choice to leave it off and start right in w/ the chant. I'm glad SW didn't use the extended intro in the main offerings.

I hope that this flaw doesn't detract from your enjoyment of what sounds like an excellent re-mix. Still waiting on mine, but I've read numerous comments where people have said it's SW's best Yes 5.1 mix; a few even say his best 5.1 mix period.

I don't really care that much about the particulars of the ARW setlist. I'm just excited by the fact that this will be the first time I get to hear Jon & Rick play and sing Yes music, something that I have waited 8 long years to hear!
And yes, of course Jon is trying to wrestle the Yes legacy away from Steve (& Alan), but as most of us will attest, Yes is only at its very best when Jon, Steve, Alan, and Rick are together, and not split apart. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really care that much about the particulars of the ARW setlist. I'm just excited by the fact that this will be the first time I get to hear Jon & Rick play and sing Yes music, something that I have waited 8 long years to hear!
And yes, of course Jon is trying to wrestle the Yes legacy away from Steve (& Alan), but as most of us will attest, Yes is only at its very best when Jon, Steve, Alan, and Rick are together, and not split apart. :)
Regarding ARW - I actually have an opportunity to catch them in Holland after Marillion Weekend in March. It's definitely on the radar despite the apparently high ticket prices.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

That's nowhere near to a major flaw in my book. A slight mistake in titling. Personally, I never listen much to studio run-throughs anyway. I also don't think that the extended intro to RSoG adds anything either. It's nice to have it, but I think they made the right choice to leave it off and start right in w/ the chant. I'm glad SW didn't use the extended intro in the main offerings.

I hope that this flaw doesn't detract from your enjoyment of what sounds like an excellent re-mix. Still waiting on mine, but I've read numerous comments where people have said it's SW's best Yes 5.1 mix; a few even say his best 5.1 mix period.

...the TFTO Blu-ray set is currently sold out at Amazon UK I see.. already.. wow! :yikes

Here's something else interesting about the Steven Wilson mix of "Tales." "Ritual" is longer! At 12:48, there are 11 more seconds of the bass solo than in the original mix. Once you listen to that spot on the original mix, it's hard not to notice the edit Eddie Offord made.

J. D.

Oh well spotted! I noticed the different timings - but couldn't spot the difference. But you did! Very interesting little addition or edit the first time around, depending on how you view it. What a release, eh? The 5.1 is just amazing...

J. D.

Oh well spotted! I noticed the different timings - but couldn't spot the difference. But you did! Very interesting little addition or edit the first time around, depending on how you view it. What a release, eh? The 5.1 is just amazing...

I think I've discovered a major flaw in this otherwise fine release. The track titled "Dance of the Dawn (Studio Run-Through)" is no such thing. It is simply a remastered version of "The Revealing Science of God" from the Rhino TFTO CD. I even lined the two versions up in Adobe Audition and they stay in perfect sync from start to finish. This is true for both the CD and the blu-ray. The Rhino TFTO actually has the studio run through, so I know what it's supposed to sound like.

If I am right (and maybe I'm comparing the wrong tracks), I am somewhat surprised by this.

I think you are correct. All a bit weird, right? So that also means that tracks 2 & 3 on CD 2 on the blu-ray set are simply repeats. Which is how they sound to me. Identical - except track 2 is several seconds longer than 3. Hmmm... Track 3 is definitely not the studio run through from the Rhino set. Both tracks 2 & 3 sound simply like the extended version from Rhino.

Not a major flaw for me. I have been luxuriating in the absolutely glorious 5.1 mix - which is just stunning, and the main reason for acquiring the set on my part. But it is a weird mistake to have allowed through. Like the mistakes on the original Blu-ray of Aqualung. Someone needs to help Steve on the old quality control!

CD testing not part of the remit (nor any printed matter seen in advance) "just" the DVD-A & BD-A's.. gone over with the finest tooth combs known to man!

I thought that was likely your name listed as well, and thank you, sir, for your efforts.
The result is stunning, everyone involved should be proud.

CD testing not part of the remit (nor any printed matter seen in advance) "just" the DVD-A & BD-A's.. gone over with the finest tooth combs known to man!

Isn't it also wrong on the BD-A too? Not the studio run through in the BD-A exclusive tracks...? BTW - Honestly, I think this is just interesting - but I really could care less about it in terms of how I rate the overall release. I am totally immersing myself in the absolutely wonderful 5.1 mixes. They are just so, well, wonderful!! I'm loving the experience...

Isn't it also wrong on the BD-A too? Not the studio run through in the BD-A exclusive tracks...? BTW - Honestly, I think this is just interesting - but I really could care less about it in terms of how I rate the overall release. I am totally immersing myself in the absolutely wonderful 5.1 mixes. They are just so, well, wonderful!! I'm loving the experience...

oh I don't remember sorry it was a while ago I last looked at any of it (waiting on my retail copy.. :rolleyes: but I'll check beta later today/ tonight)

ps. I'm not a Yes fan, I like them for sure they're great but I don't have anywhere near the kind of nigh-on encyclopaedic knowledge of the group that some of you guys here do, so there may well be something like that I personally missed if its on the BD-A too :eek:

oh I don't remember sorry it was a while ago I last looked at any of it (waiting on my retail copy.. :rolleyes: but I'll check beta later today/ tonight)

ps. I'm not a Yes fan, I like them for sure they're great but I don't have anywhere near the kind of nigh-on encyclopaedic knowledge of the group that some of you guys here do, so there may well be something like that I personally missed if its on the BD-A too :eek:

OMG! You actually helped on the project? That is amazing... Hope I didn't come off as a 'complainer' above - I just find some of these details interesting. Trainspotter, etc. As I've noted earlier, the 5.1 is absolutely incredible - and you should be proud of the association with the work. Brilliant!

OMG! You actually helped on the project? That is amazing... Hope I didn't come off as a 'complainer' above - I just find some of these details interesting. Trainspotter, etc. As I've noted earlier, the 5.1 is absolutely incredible - and you should be proud of the association with the work. Brilliant!

oh no! not at all, if things are not right you have to be able to say so! :upthumb
well yes but honestly I'm just an insignificant speck of a part of an incredible team of people and a more recent addition its a couple of years or so of some of the DVD-A's and BD-A's we get surround music of I've been lucky to test the functionality etc of.. its a great privilege and a pleasure (and a pressure in a way at the same time, you have to get this stuff right of course!) all has to be kept under wraps too, there's so much going on behind the scenes that could scupper a release if somebody involved were to say the wrong thing at the wrong time, you can imagine.. but you can be sure QQ members' best interests at heart and those involved do everything they can.. I've been mega lucky to see the work people like Neil Wilkes @ Opus do first hand in the studio and really these guys are workaholic slaves to surround I'm just in awe at what they do and the time and effort they put in to it all is mightily impressive..!!! :worthy

By the way, where has DennisMoore Jr. been lately? He seemed more excited about this release than anyone, but he hasn't posted in almost 2 weeks. I also noticed he has 999 posts, so maybe he's saving up #1,000 for a special post or something. ;)

Hello Good Sir Frogmort,

Apologies, I've been unavoidably detained. Truth be told, perhaps I've been felled by the weight of expectations. That is... to provide an appropriate review to match such a shockingly amazing release. Well... here goes:

Whilst thumbing through Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda, during a 1972 tour of Japan with YES, Jon Anderson was inspired by a footnote and laid the groundwork that was to become YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans.

Whilst thumbing through the booklet that came with the 5.1 Tales remix, Dennis Moore Jr, in his living room, came upon his own revelation. That was, after repeated listens to YES - Tales in 5.1, his audio receiver had still been set to Dolby Pro Logic II after prior evening viewings of the television drama, "Black Sails". Well... he finally realized why the mix had sounded blurry and with too much echo. The audio settings were normalized and the 5.1 remix was enjoyed of sufficient duration to post these comments:

My copies of YES - Tales arrived from Steven Wilson's Headphone Dust, last Wednesday.

Well...

President Abraham Lincoln dished out a line about truth being self evident. And that is what we have with Steven Wilson's 5.1 remix of YES - Tales. One simply needs to listen and all of its magnificent sonic bounty will be right there next to you lookin up at you and saying: This is as good as it gets.

I can't really add too much because this remix simply speaks volumes all by itself. Aside from that, it is now my most prized 5.1 remix and I do not type these words lightly. This remix is spectacular and is at the level of Gentle Giant - Power & The Glory and is Steven's best YES remix yet. Which says an enormous amount.

The only thing I would propose is that perhaps Steven Wilson's prime directive to never alter the character of the original mix might be holding things back a bit. YES intentionally mixed the vocals lower in volume so as to compliment the other musicians. YES deals in an overall musical experience, the exact opposit of most popular music which is clearly vocal-centric. Well... after having been inspired by Jethro Tull's original quad mix of "Skating Away..."which has the lead vocal as a 3D presence in the centre of the room, I ponder the possibilities of really opening things up a bit and letting's Jon's voice really be heard. However I digress.

This release as it stands, is now my most treasured 5.1 release. All my expectations have been met and actually exceeded. Its a strange thing to have your dreams fulfilled. I find myself in a state of humble limbo, not knowing what to ask for next. I am content to listen to this gift from YES & Steven Wilson for a long while and have no further 5.1 desires... for now.:music

Oh... the new SW 2.0 remix is just as good as the 5.1 and is now my stereo go to listen.

Its fantastic to see some people that Tales might be new to here: LuvMyQuad, GOS, etc... Thanks so much for posting here and your support. I hope you enjoy Tales, although it may take a few listens. But regardless, what I really hope is that you all get your dream music remixed in 5.1.

Sometimes dreams really can come true.

DMJ

P.S. Great to see ProgRules here. Where the heck is PK & Good Sir Clint Eastwood?

Talesnew.jpg
[/url]host image

[/img]

oh no! not at all, if things are not right you have to be able to say so! :upthumb
well yes but honestly I'm just an insignificant speck of a part of an incredible team of people and a more recent addition its a couple of years or so of some of the DVD-A's and BD-A's we get surround music of I've been lucky to test the functionality etc of.. its a great privilege and a pleasure (and a pressure in a way at the same time, you have to get this stuff right of course!) all has to be kept under wraps too, there's so much going on behind the scenes that could scupper a release if somebody involved were to say the wrong thing at the wrong time, you can imagine.. but you can be sure QQ members' best interests at heart and those involved do everything they can.. I've been mega lucky to see the work people like Neil Wilkes @ Opus do first hand in the studio and really these guys are workaholic slaves to surround I'm just in awe at what they do and the time and effort they put in to it all is mightily impressive..!!! :worthy

Brilliant! The Yes releases are just brilliant. I (first!) bought TFTO when it came out back in the day. And now in Oct. 2016 I am listening to it in marvelous surround sound. Who'd a thought it, right? Thanks for all that everyone (including you!) does to make that a reality...

Welcome back my friend! So good to see you back. I'm in lurker mode more often than I post, so no great surprise when I disappear, but you being absent right before this release had many of us a bit worried. So glad you're doing fine. Better than that- sounds like Tales has had it's intended effect on you and you've reached a state of spiritual elevation! So caught up in emotions initially that you forgot to change AVR settings and didn't notice right away; I can only assume a higher power intervened to give you a gradual ramp-up to the heights to keep your head from exploding. :sun (Nous somme du soleil!)

I'm sure you'll soon post your great review in the poll section, so no one misses it. So glad that you got yours quickly- if anyone deserves that, it's you. Me, I'm being tutored on how to practice patience, not one of my strong points- but at least mine shipped; many who pre-ordered are still awaiting a shipping notice. I like your new avatar and it's very fitting, but I prefer that gorgeous lady w/ the appropriate shirt. :D

So great to have you back!

Back