YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans 5.1 - Reality

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pre-ordered mine from Amazon UK at the beginning of August and got it on release day, so they've definitely had stock :)

I pre-ordered mine on 1st September so they had 5 weeks to order more, but I've also read that someone who pre-ordered from Amazon UK just last week got a copy! Surely it should be first come first served, bloody annoying it is! :mad:

From the Declan quote above: 6) I also took one further decision. When a suitable source file for the "studio run-through" (actually an early rough mix) of "Dance of the Dawn" from the Rhino 2003 remaster couldn't be found, I opted instead to include the better sounding "Dance of the Dawn" final mix from the same edition.

So that would explain why the two tracks are in fact a different length on the second CD. They are not actually the same track. Appreciate the information! Shame they couldn't find the source file for the early rough mix. BUT, as the many are saying above, it really doesn't matter. Just a point of interest. The 5.1 is just so freaking marvelous!! My enjoyment deepens with every listen... Almost ready to award it a straight 12 on the poll. :mad:@:

Last edited:
Great to get an explanation and I'm not complaining, buuuuuuut...

... if formats were kept separate (CDs in one release, BDs in another, vinyl in another, marbles and scarves in another), then they could have done a 2 BD release and not had to drop the bit rate (they're so high though, I doubt I could tell the difference and if I could, I probably wouldn't care).

Then, we might finally get decent packaging (i.e., standard BD plastic case packaging holding 2 BDs) instead of cardboard. Grrrr, cardboard.

If someone wants the CDs, they buy that package. If someone wants the BDs, they buy that package. If they want both, they buy both.

Whoomp, there's my packaging/forced-format-buying whinge over with - again. Now if JB-HiFi would hurry up and get this in stock, I could use the voucher I got to give it a spin! Looking forward to it.

Thank you, colsky, for passing on the message from Declan, which I would not have seen otherwise. I'm satisfied with his explanation of what happened. I also want to stress that in my original post about this, I intentionally included the words "...this otherwise fine release" as I have no other complaints about it.

J. D.

From the Declan quote above: 6) I also took one further decision. When a suitable source file for the "studio run-through" (actually an early rough mix) of "Dance of the Dawn" from the Rhino 2003 remaster couldn't be found, I opted instead to include the better sounding "Dance of the Dawn" final mix from the same edition.

So that would explain why the two tracks are in fact a different length on the second CD. They are not actually the same track. Appreciate the information! Shame they couldn't find the source file for the early rough mix. BUT, as the many are saying above, it really doesn't matter. Just a point of interest. The 5.1 is just so freaking marvelous!! My enjoyment deepens with every listen... Almost ready to award it a straight 12 on the poll. :mad:@:

Just for the (pedantic) record - the Blu-Ray screen also (incorrectly) labels the extra "Dance" as "studio run through". Forgive this final piece of trainspotting from me! Now back to further immersion in the 5.1!!

Last edited:
I ordered mine from Amazon UK and it was dispatched on October 6. I sure hope it shows up soon. Shipping from US to UK, I cannot track it...so I'm mostly clueless about arrival time.

The best way to test is for everybody to do it their own way - you find errors and incongruities that way, as you're not following what the author did.
makes sense. That is what I did when I tested two dvd-as for Nosound, just going through all the menu options and audio streams to see what is happening and report back. But as these Panegyric titles have a higher profile, I was just wondering if there was some table with boxes involved which the testers had to tick.

Still, a great team involved in all these releases. Will be happy to play my copy once it arrives, together with Skylarking :)

makes sense. That is what I did when I tested two dvd-as for Nosound, just going through all the menu options and audio streams to see what is happening and report back. But as these Panegyric titles have a higher profile, I was just wondering if there was some table with boxes involved which the testers had to tick.

Still, a great team involved in all these releases. Will be happy to play my copy once it arrives, together with Skylarking :)

yes that's what I do each time a release candidate comes thru.. I put aside some quiet time to go thru absolutely everything checking for how the menus work, splash screens, aspect ratios, channel config and layout (on as many machines as I can whether its a DVD or BD.. though burnt BDs don't play on the PS3 afaik? so thats the end of that) and if anything ever comes up that I notice then I get in touch with Opus.. I have to discipline myself and be almost robotic doing it, though I will say I am a slow tester by comparison to some of the long standing ones so often things I find have already been flagged up and Neil is aware of them before I've even found anything, etc.. so much goes on behind the scenes with these releases as you can imagine and the work that goes into something like this packed to the rafters TFTO Blu-ray I'd be amazed if the label make any money they must do it for love, I know I do, this hobby has taken over my life so it is very important to me. oh well..

yes that's what I do each time a release candidate comes thru.. I put aside some quiet time to go thru absolutely everything checking for how the menus work, splash screens, aspect ratios, channel config and layout (on as many machines as I can whether its a DVD or BD.. though burnt BDs don't play on the PS3 afaik? so thats the end of that) and if anything ever comes up that I notice then I get in touch with Opus.. I have to discipline myself and be almost robotic doing it, though I will say I am a slow tester by comparison to some of the long standing ones so often things I find have already been flagged up and Neil is aware of them before I've even found anything, etc.. so much goes on behind the scenes with these releases as you can imagine and the work that goes into something like this packed to the rafters TFTO Blu-ray I'd be amazed if the label make any money they must do it for love, I know I do, this hobby has taken over my life so it is very important to me. oh well..
it is much appreciated what you, and Jon, Tim, Bob, Kapn, Neil, Claire, Declan and others do. If you ever need an extra pair of ears and eyes, I am happy to help. Although with one player only in the house, so I probably could not add much though.

I just listened to the TFTO 5.1 mix (DVD-A) and it really is an outstanding mix :)! I've listened to the CD a few times in past year and it never sounded that great. But with the new 5.1 mix from Steven Wilson it creates an entirely different listening experience! As a follow up to TFTO I'm listening to Fleetwood Mac's Mirage 5.1 mix. Not even close in overall SQ and is a bit of a let down after listening to TFTO.

I just listened to the TFTO 5.1 mix (DVD-A) and it really is an outstanding mix :)! I've listened to the CD a few times in past year and it never sounded that great. But with the new 5.1 mix from Steven Wilson it creates an entirely different listening experience! As a follow up to TFTO I'm listening to Fleetwood Mac's Mirage 5.1 mix. Not even close in overall SQ and is a bit of a let down after listening to TFTO.

Hey! :D

Good to see you around these parts :upthumb

If it hasn't been said already ( :eek: )

Welcome to QQ

:wave

Hey! :D

Good to see you around these parts :upthumb

If it hasn't been said already ( :eek: )

Welcome to QQ

:wave

Ah- ya beat me to it Adam! Always the genial host. :)

I'll second that emotion Bill. Great to see you here. I'm JimW over at SHF and AVS. We keep bumping into each other today. Bonne Chance! Glad you're in on the Talesfest! I've loved it for a long time, this is a dream come true for me. But then you've seen my posts elsewhere, you know all this. Welcome.

OK QQ'ers... I apologize for a somewhat off-topic question but I need your help. I have always bought these release (KC, SW, Yes, etc, etc.) from Burning Shed. They would normally take one week to receive (here in DFW, TX) and as they somewhat anticipated this lead-time would ship early and I would get the releases close to the official date (+- one day). My order previous to this (4 1/2) took three weeks. I pre-ordered TFTO the first day it was available. I got my "posting" notice from BS on 10/03. Just got today's mail and still nothing. I know BS has no control over this (other than offering a premium shipping service which I would be happy to partake of if available). But it is frustrating knowing I could have ordered it from a domestic source and probably had it by now. So the question is, is there a domestic source that offers reliable shipping (FedEx, UPS, etc.) that hits the release dates of these Panegyric releases??? Who do you use? Thanks in advance and yes, I hate the shipping notice posts as much as the next guy but I'm desperate, lol.

Ah- ya beat me to it Adam! Always the genial host. :)

I'll second that emotion Bill. Great to see you here. I'm JimW over at SHF and AVS. We keep bumping into each other today. Bonne Chance! Glad you're in on the Talesfest! I've loved it for a long time, this is a dream come true for me. But then you've seen my posts elsewhere, you know all this. Welcome.

Jon's the host, I'm just a guest :)

Back